Shortlisted for Young Writers Showcase (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
c_james said:
I understand that, but EE2 is a bit different in that there's no exam as such testing specific skills - it's always an original work. So surely those figures indicate something a little more than that?
Again not really if you look at the logic behind it - they adjust alignment each year per the arrangement of raw marks. On a particularly poor year(whether it be because of hard exam or not) for a course, the raw mark needed for top band may be somewhat lower in comparison to a year where nearly everyone is getting near the top - in that case the markers would be discriminating very carefully between bands. Its essentially why a 50 from one year =/= a 50 from another year and so on.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
c_james said:
And fleep, are you sure you're looking at EX2? Because if so, that's weird, as I just verified my original figures with my own SAM and they're correct...
Yeahm I doublechecked and got the same thing. even board says it. check these:
2003- http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2003_12_15170.htm
2004- http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2004_12_15170.htm
2002- http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2002_12_15170.htm
2001- http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2001_12_15170.htm

infact most of those figures are also different from SAM. Maybe I'm reading them wrong.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
fleepbasding said:
fleep I like your mw, it was brilliant. *nods :) wrong thread for this but anyway.
Gavrillo's reminded me of Vaclev Havel. faintly.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
kami said:
As regards the main issue though, I think that in these high end courses like EE2, MX2, HistX and MusX it just becomes that much harder to waffle and regurgitate so that students would be relying more on talent and discipline than the growing amount of resources.
To an extent yes the markers are getting tighter but also there is seriously just a whole lot more crap out there in ee2land. The way it seems is that after everyone saw how well students did in the first few years more and more people went "hey, easy, i can do that" and decided to have a crack at it. People greatly underestimate the difficulty of obtaining a great mark in the subject and the importance of talant and discipline. Thus, as it expanded, the overall quality of the candidature declined. The actual objectives and outcomes of the course hasnt changed, markers are still marking to the same standards they always have been under the new HSC. My brain is now mush so if whatever point I made is just collywobbly please excuse me.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
super katie said:
To an extent yes the markers are getting tighter but also there is seriously just a whole lot more crap out there in ee2land. The way it seems is that after everyone saw how well students did in the first few years more and more people went "hey, easy, i can do that" and decided to have a crack at it. People greatly underestimate the difficulty of obtaining a great mark in the subject and the importance of talant and discipline. Thus, as it expanded, the overall quality of the candidature declined. The actual objectives and outcomes of the course hasnt changed, markers are still marking to the same standards they always have been under the new HSC. My brain is now mush so if whatever point I made is just collywobbly please excuse me.
I think you're being a bit of a snob on this. Just because you got 50, how do you know that people who didn't do so fantastically had such malign, mark-grabbing motives? I think most people do it because they have a passion for it, and if that means there are less band E4's then so be it- atleast more people can do a course that will teach them something about their own writing abilities. Either way, don't the links I've posted indicate that there is no such downward trend in quality?

gorgo31

HSC
super katie said:
The actual objectives and outcomes of the course hasnt changed, markers are still marking to the same standards they always have been under the new HSC.
This is very wrong. I've given true information about official BOS stuff on these forums before, but it's anyone's prerogative whether to believe the following or not. I know, for a fact, that at the marking of 2001 and 2002 major works, the Examiners were still intepreting the syllabus requirements. Especially in the first year, they had absolutely no idea how to implement effective criteria to mark the majors. What it came down to were the major works that read the best - investigation, purpose, refinement of audience were all secondary. They are only recent evolutions to the marking. The students of HSC 2001 were told they wouldn't be marked too harshly in any subject; for EE2, this was definitely the case.

I honestly think that the reason the number of top candidates is dropping is because the marker's expectations are becoming higher. Yes, there is a lot of crap out there, but I disagree that this crap was not prevalent in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. Such amounts of poor writing are probably what led the markers to reinterpret the syllabus requirements in subsequent years, feeling they had been too easy, and place a different weighting on different aspects of the major work. I know one very highly-placed EE2 official, whom in 2001 was telling teachers that the Reflection Statement was going to be used as a summary of the journal; only to verify authenticity. How things have changed...

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
So. Has anyone found out about the showcase for this year's major works yet? I'm just wondering because nominations/confirmations for other subjects such as Artexpress and OnSTAGE have been released - and I'd like to see if anyone here got through for extenion 2!

Good luck to everyone xo

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
courtnez said:
So. Has anyone found out about the showcase for this year's major works yet? I'm just wondering because nominations/confirmations for other subjects such as Artexpress and OnSTAGE have been released - and I'd like to see if anyone here got through for extenion 2!

Good luck to everyone xo
Confirmations are usually mailed around this time of year, so whoever got shortlisted should know pretty soon.

yesgentlemen

Sexbox
HSC
I'm also unreasonably anxious to find out if I, let alone anyone from my school or who I know, have been shotlisted.
I faxed and emailed off my information for ArtExpress today. C'mon English, get a move on!

courtnez

HSC
I'm also unreasonably anxious to find out if I, let alone anyone from my school or who I know, have been shotlisted.
Exactly! I mailed off my stuff for OnStage today, so I'm getting rather fidgety about extension 2. There are so many people I know who deserve to be shortlisted and agshdgahjdwaghjsagxhjsgjksgxa. I'm about to seizure in anticipation.

meeli

HSC
ee2

Hey! I'm shortlisted for the Young Writers Showcase. How exciting! Just to brag, I'm also nominated for artexpress. Though I just sent my paperwork off today *kind of forgot about it* so I hope that's all ok.

And they said I couldn't do ten units with three pracs! Take that, silly school.

courtnez

HSC
Congratulations snowmeemo! Is your work up on BoS? That's so awesome!

bustinjustin

HSC
snowmeemo said:
Hey! I'm shortlisted for the Young Writers Showcase. How exciting! Just to brag, I'm also nominated for artexpress. Though I just sent my paperwork off today *kind of forgot about it* so I hope that's all ok.

And they said I couldn't do ten units with three pracs! Take that, silly school.
Oh my God.
Yes, I can see why that was shortlisted. Beats my story by miles. Congratulations.

gorgo31

HSC
Congrats, snowmeemo.

However, I'm honestly stunned none of our other BOSers have been nominated, especially considering this year's incredible collection of major works.

If you guys hear anything, be sure to post.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
gorgo31 said:
Congrats, snowmeemo.

However, I'm honestly stunned none of our other BOSers have been nominated, especially considering this year's incredible collection of major works.

You weren’t short listed? I am shocked and appalled :eek:

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
perhaps a number of the letters and things havent reached those that have been shortlisted yet, that's always a possibility, though all should be revealed throughout the course of this week. Unless the letters are mailed to the school

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
gorgo31 said:
Congrats, snowmeemo.

Perhaps not all the decisions were made simultaneously? Food for thought.:)
*places money on one of you guys getting in*

Alimoe_KG

HSC
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

My friend hahahhaa got hahahahah shortlisted lol with his performance poetry rofl that he wrote in HAHAHAH 2 EFFING DAYS. *falls down cracking up ni laughter*

The school even refused to sign off his work. The teachers gave him no chance. He was originally doing a video project where the concept was a subversion fo extension 2 projects itself. So he basically wanted to satirise the incomprehensible pretentious pomo dribble that gets into showcase a lot these days. But he was a lazy bumhole and so he didn't have crap 2 days out from the hand in day. And so he decided to take his project further and do the ultimate subversion! Ditch the video and create a set of performance poetry that exactly conformed to the the pretentious crap that he was originally aiming to criticise. In 2 days. And hahahah he got shortlisted. hahahahahahaha.

Omg i can't stop laughing.

I want to see my teacher's face.

ahhhhhh classic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)