Shortlisted for Young Writers Showcase (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Sweets said:
Augh, I am just plagued with self-doubt!!!!!!! No way, you will not get a low score, or my protest will take on epic proportions, unseen before on this planet.
yeah we'll just sit here complementing each other on our mws and being fake modest shall we :p

Alimoe_KG

HSC
robo3687 said:
i just got off the phone with the BOS and they asked for my permission to include my work in the 2006 showcase.....

huzzah....

of course i said yes....lol
The discussion on this prank has died but I couldn't help pointing out that the fact that they said they would include you in the 2006 showcase was a bit of a giveaway. Aren't we all going for the 2005 one? :D

Alimoe_KG

HSC
super katie said:
Haha no not at all, I think I said something along those lines too for my USYD scholarship application last year. And thanks cherryblossom too :D now i'm going to get out of bed and trip over my ego!
What did the simple sentence say?

J

jhakka

Hey guys, can we limit the discussion here to Showcase stuff, please?

Someone can always do a "My major work will suck/fail/make the marker claw their eyes out" thread where this line of discussion can be followed.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
Hey guys, can we limit the discussion here to Showcase stuff, please?

Someone can always do a "My major work will suck/fail/make the marker claw their eyes out" thread where this line of discussion can be followed.
Oops, sorry Justin.:eek:
Well, there is a thought I had about showcase - does every medium *have* to be represented in there? As I would not have thought, given the candidature size, there were enough students to get 100% in all mediums.

HSC
N/A
if you're referring to people who got top marks in all mediums, I agree, it may not have happened. However, I think they still try to get a representative from all mediums (at the very least). As discussed earlier, you don't need *full* marks to get into showcase.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I sent my EE1/EE2 teacher an essay today for EE1 and I also asked her about EE2 marking and the showcase. I just got a reply back, she must have replied so quickly due to her excitment that i was actually doing work! She said that she heard from the friend of a friend, who is high up the EE2 marking food chain that they have already sorted out the showcase candidates and that the standard was really high this year. I'm scared now!!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Sweets said:
I sent my EE1/EE2 teacher an essay today for EE1 and I also asked her about EE2 marking and the showcase. I just got a reply back, she must have replied so quickly due to her excitment that i was actually doing work! She said that she heard from the friend of a friend, who is high up the EE2 marking food chain that they have already sorted out the showcase candidates and that the standard was really high this year. I'm scared now!!
well... if we don't get in, atleast we can say that 2005 was the toughest, most high-standard year in ext 2 english history.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
fleepbasding said:
well... if we don't get in, atleast we can say that 2005 was the toughest, most high-standard year in ext 2 english history.
the standard being really high...... is that for Short Stories?

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
fleepbasding said:
The standards get progressively better with time though, as people have more material, experienced teachers and study aids at their disposal, so 2006 will probably kick our arse.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Hey.
Did anyone else get a call today from an English liason officer?

I did, but I'm wondering if it's a joke.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Gavrillo said:
Hey.

I for one haven't got a phonecall from anyone.

Therefore, hopefully it was a joke.

What did they say?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Gavrillo said:
Hey.

super katie said:
I got my letter some time during the HSC I think, or between the HSC and my formal which was at the end of november, so I doubt anything this early would be legit. Also the only phonecall I ever got about the showcase was early this year before it was published to finalise the format of my mw so dont pay too much attention if someone calls you, the first you should hear about the showcase should be in a letter from the Board.
So that means if you did recieve a call it was likely nothing to do with Showcase, and since they judge authenticity via journal only they would not contact you regarding that either. Would you mind disclosing the nature of the call? As it would help in verifying its authenticity. Alternatively if you have one of those phones that records recieved caller numbers(knowing that govt. depts don't have silent no.s) then perhaps you should dial the no. of the caller and see who it was?(Oh, and I *definitely* didn't get that call)

gorgo31

HSC
If it were real, I wonder why such a phone call would come on a Sunday...

Mind you, I think that Gavrilo's work will be Showcased, regardless of this Liason officer's authenticity.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
c_james said:
The standards get progressively better with time though, as people have more material, experienced teachers and study aids at their disposal, so 2006 will probably kick our arse.
I tend to disagree. I think that there is alot more crap filtering through as the candidature grows, people see how the subject scales then go oh hey i can write a short story/poem/play script etc no problems, so now a subject that should get the clear majority of its candidature in band 4 is seeing its students doing increasingly worse. Bleh, just my opinion.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
super katie said:
I tend to disagree. I think that there is alot more crap filtering through as the candidature grows, people see how the subject scales then go oh hey i can write a short story/poem/play script etc no problems, so now a subject that should get the clear majority of its candidature in band 4 is seeing its students doing increasingly worse. Bleh, just my opinion.
Actually, you're absolutely right. I just checked SAM:

In 2001, 45.85% of all EE2 students got a band E4.

In 2002, this was 34.23%.

In 2003, this was 24.83%.

So there you go. It went from a course where half the candidature got a top band, to one where only a quarter do so - in just 3 years. At that rate, the 2005 percentage would be under 10%...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
c_james said:

So there you go. It went from a course where half the candidature got a top band, to one where only a quarter do so - in just 3 years. At that rate, the 2005 percentage would be under 10%...
What?! Isn't the 2004 %age of students achieving band E4 around 40%?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
c_james said:

Actually that doesn't mean much. For example last year in MX2 the exam was the easiest it has ever been and most people got higher marks yet less people than ever got top band. What this example and the stats you show above indicate is merely that they way they align the bands to marks has changed slightly.
As regards the main issue though, I think that in these high end courses like EE2, MX2, HistX and MusX it just becomes that much harder to waffle and regurgitate so that students would be relying more on talent and discipline than the growing amount of resources.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
2001- 37.9%
2002- 29.8%
2003- 37.7%

That's what my SAM is telling me, and I think 2004 was about 43% or so.

Last edited:

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kami said:
Actually that doesn't mean much. For example last year in MX2 the exam was the easiest it has ever been and most people got higher marks yet less people than ever got top band. What this example and the stats you show above indicate is merely that they way they align the bands to marks has changed slightly.
As regards the main issue though, I think that in these high end courses like EE2, MX2, HistX and MusX it just becomes that much harder to waffle and regurgitate so that students would be relying more on talent and discipline than the growing amount of resources.
I understand that, but EE2 is a bit different in that there's no exam as such testing specific skills - it's always an original work. So surely those figures indicate something a little more than that? Unless, of course, the markers get harsher every year.

And fleep, are you sure you're looking at EX2? Because if so, that's weird, as I just verified my original figures with my own SAM and they're correct...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)