compass ruler for circles and graphs

what proof for cylindrical shells?
do you have to do the whole r +dx etc and neglect dx^2
or can you just draw the rectangle thing and show V = 2pirh dx

i will add more if i come across

Last edited:

artosis

HSC
i wanna know about the compass thing too.

if u look at the bos sample answers for the 2009 ext 2 paper, they didnt use a compass :S

Official

Bring it on
HSC
are these necessary

pencil for diagram
compass ruler for circles and graphs

what proof for cylindrical shells?
or can you just draw the rectangle thing and show V = 2pirh dx

i will add more if i come across
For cylindrical shell I might do the whole r+dx, etc, especially if it is a 4 marker, it's too risky not to imo

blackops23

HSC
.... what is the point of making one of the most simplest things in 4U (a formula that is only 2pirh) into a complicated thing? I don't think I've ever learnt r+dx but im guessing it takes into the width of the thickness of the cylinder?

AWARE me if i'm wrong, but i thought in 4 u they didnt take marks off for insufficient working - and that only occurred in 2u, and to a lesser extent in 3u

Last edited by a moderator:

timting95

HSC
For the cylindrical shells i would include it, it doesn't take much time extra maybe 5 more seconds?? But if you have a look at the MX2 syllabus it actually says that you need to be able to come to V = 2pirh etc... So i'd say do it, unless you don't know how to - then don't do it :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
For the cylindrical shells i would include it, it doesn't take much time extra maybe 5 more seconds?? But if you have a look at the MX2 syllabus it actually says that you need to be able to come to V = 2pirh etc... So i'd say do it, unless you don't know how to - then don't do it :p
Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about...

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
In the MANSW past paper + solution books they include the sum and exclusion of and all that in their answers and my teacher/head teacher have both advised us to include it.

Pencil for diagram? No thank you!

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
what is the point of making one of the most simplest things in 4U (a formula that is only 2pirh) into a complicated thing? I don't think I've ever learnt r+dx but im guessing it takes into the width of the thickness of the cylinder?

AWARE me if i'm wrong, but i thought in 4 u they didnt take marks off for insufficient working - and that only occurred in 2u, and to a lesser extent in 3u
LOL I've always did it r + dx

Last edited by a moderator:

D94

HSC
N/A
oh fuck that shit.... what is the point of making one of the most simplest things in 4U (a formula that is only 2pirh) into a complicated thing? I don't think I've ever learnt r+dx but im guessing it takes into the width of the thickness of the cylinder?

The 2(pi)xy or 2(pi)rh method skips steps which are evident in the setup for the r + dx or x+ dx method. Essentially, the r + dx method leads onto a 2(pi)rh method.

Wtf is r+dx?
Someone please awares me!
You take a cylindrical shell with larger radius as x + dx and then a smaller radius as x and then you apply the volume of a cylinder formula. So you get:

Then you substitute in the height () and integrate it.

It's the same thing, but the setup which I just showed 'could' be worth a mark.

Last edited:

Official

Bring it on
HSC
The 2(pi)xy or 2(pi)rh method skips steps which are evident in the setup for the r + dx or x+ dx method. Essentially, the r + dx method leads onto a 2(pi)rh method.

You take a cylindrical shell with larger radius as x + dx and then a smaller radius as x and then you apply the volume of a cylinder formula. So you get:

<3

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

My teacher never mentioned that. :(
I'm such a stressball right now. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)