Share your fave snippets/quotes (from books, poetry, etc) (1 Viewer)

bex

HSC
"The Beautiful Ones are Crazy"
from the back of the toilet door at the Clare HOtel on george st

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I will paint you as I first saw you. Not as a maid, you.
- From 'Girl With A Pearl Earring'

J

jhakka

"Such a storm of emotions as humans can evoke, all on the basis of imagination," the dragon observed condescendingly. In a more reflective voice she asked, "Do you do this because you live such short lives? Tell yourselves wild tales of what might happen tomorrow, and feel all the feelings of events that will never happen? Perhaps to make up for the pasts you cannot recall, you invent futures that will not exist."

From Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb. Page 577 in my book.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
From Romeo and Juliet I can recall this quote off the top of my head.

I look to like if looking liking move, but no more deep will I endart mine eye than your consent gives strength to make it fly.

I don't know why I know it though, but it isn't my favourite line

felafel

I can't remember where I read this... but here's a way of subtlely calling somebody stupid...

the idea of stately simplicity accords well with your character

isn't that great!??!

JazzaT

hey guys... anyone who has read "Along Came A Spider", by James Patteson, should know this little beauty:
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit" can't remember where it was said, but it's a gem all the same.
:D

CRR

At this point they came in sight of thirty forty windmills that there are on plain, and as soon as Don Quixote saw them he said to his squire, "Fortune is arranging matters for us better than we could have shaped our desires ourselves, for look there, friend Sancho Panza, where thirty or more monstrous giants present themselves, all of whom I mean to engage in battle and slay, and with whose spoils we shall begin to make our fortunes; for this is righteous warfare, and it is God's good service to sweep so evil a breed from off the face of the earth.""What giants?" said Sancho Panza.

"Those thou seest there," answered his master, "with the long arms, and some have them nearly two leagues long."

"Look, your worship," said Sancho; "what we see there are not giants but windmills, and what seem to be their arms are the sails that turned by the wind make the millstone go."

"It is easy to see," replied Don Quixote, "that thou art not used to this business of adventures; those are giants; and if thou art afraid, away with thee out of this and betake thyself to prayer while I engage them in fierce and unequal combat."

Don Quixote

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
it is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man of good fortune MUST be in want of a wife...

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
I do bite my thumb sir
tch tch. do YOU bite your thumb at US sir?
is the law on our side if i say aye?
no
No sir, but i do bite my thumb sir
- R&J
lol, dunno why, found that witty.

how bout:
Beauty, by its very nature, must be ephemereal. For, without this sting, it would not be rare. But i wish, Oh I wish, it were not so.

absolutely brilliant, imho.

and nice, jhakka. I liked that on. so true, that quote applies to everyone posting on this page.

and Keypad, have you read other than the foundation series? That laws of robotics is to be found in ALOT of his books.

and if your interested in science fiction, there is an author named:
Peter F Hamilton
I'm sure you'll love him. Try his book "The Reality Dysfunction". :) that goes to all sci fi fans, actually.

Shiloh

HSC
"Love cools, friendship falls off, brother's divide. In cities, mutinies; in countries, discord; in palaces treason: the bond cracked 'twixt son and father." - Gloucester (King Lear)

felafel

There is no try; there is only do or do not!

I suppose that speaks volumes about how we should approach our HSC . . .

Mini

relax
HSC
"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded
yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles
is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-
descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still
think digital watches are a pretty neat idea." - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Originally posted by Lexicographer
This one trumps them all. I love Wodehouse. :D
"What ho!" I said.
"What ho!" said Motty.
"What ho! What ho!"
"What ho! What ho! What ho!"
After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.
I agree. Wodehouse is a crack up - go the initmitable Jeeves - even though this doesn't seem to be from a Jeeves story... ?? Either way, its still good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)