Share your fave snippets/quotes (from books, poetry, etc) (1 Viewer)

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Im curious as to what your favourite snippets are and why. :D Whether they be lines of poetry, novels or plays, i'd love for you to share them.

I've a collected book of quotes, book of received ideas i call it - BORI, (in honour of Flaubert) which gives some sort of inspiration when im in writers block. Does anyone else have anything similar?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
"you can kill all the blue jays in the world, but its a sin to kill a mocking bird"- atticus finch
something or rather
TKM- harper lee

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
"The Prince will never come, everyone knows that and maybe Sleeping Beauty's dead" - Lestat, Queen Of The Damned

"If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, do we not revenge?" - Shakespeare, Merchant Of Venice.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I have a book in which I've written out various literary quotes, although these aren't specifically inspirational (Some are quite depressing, but excellently articulated.). Firstly, some of my favourite theatrical quotes would include;

The Plays The Thing, Wherein I Caught These Quotations

Oedipus-Oh Theseus,
dear friend, only the gods can never age,
the gods can never die. All else in the world
almighty time obliterates, crushes all
to nothing. The earth's strength wastes away,
the strength of a man's body wastes and dies-
faith dies, and bad faith comes to life,
and the same wind of friendship cannot blow forever,
holding steady and strong between two friends,
much less between two cities.
For some of us soon, for others later,
joy turns to hate and back again to love.
-Sophocles, 'Oedipus At Colonus'

LearThrough tattered clothes do many vices appear, robes and furred gowns hide all. Plate sin in gold, and justices hurtless lance doubtless breaks, arm it in rags, and a pygmy's straw doth pierce it.-William Shakespeare, 'King Lear', Act III, Scene IV.

Macbeth-
She should have died hereafter;
There would have been time for such a word,
tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, Out brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
that struts and frets his hour upon the stage
and then is heard of no morel it is a tale
told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
signifying nothing.
-Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act V, Scene V.

LearWhen we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools. ibid.

CressidaWhats won is done, joy's soul lies in the doing-Shakespeare, 'Troilus and Cressida'

BrutusThe shame of greatness is that it disjoins power from remorse-Shakespeare, 'Julius Caesar' Act II, Scene I.

Gaveston-As for the multitude, they are but sparks, rak'd up in the embers of their poverty-Christopher Marlowe, 'Edward II', Act I Scene I.

Edward-Two kings in England cannot reign at once,
But stay a while. Let me be king till night,
That I may gaze upon this glittering crown;
So shall my eyes receive their last content,
My head, the latest honour due to it,
And jointly both yield up their wished right.
Continue ever, thou celestial sun;
Let never silent night possess this clime;
Stand still, you watches of the element;
All times and seasons, rest you at a stay,
That Edward may be still fair England's king!
But day's bright beams doth vanish fast away..
-Ibid, Act V, Scene I.

ChorusThe fruitful plot of scholarism graced,
That shortly he was graced with Doctor's name,
Excelling all; and sweetly can dispute
In th' heavenly matters of theology,
Til swollen with cunning of a self-conceit,
His waxen wings did mount above his reach
-Marlowe, 'Doctor Faustus', Act One, Scene One. (Anyone else feel that Marlowe is quite underrated?)

Hamm-I once knew a madman who thought the end of the world had come..I used to go and see him, in the asylum. I'd take him by the hand and drag him to the window. Look! There! All that rising corn! And there! Look! All that loveliness! (pause) He'd snatch away his hand and go back into his corner. Appalled. All he had seen was ashes.-Samuel Beckett, 'Endgame'.

Moon-Faced as we are with such ubiquitious obliquity, it is hard, it is hard indeed, and therefore I will not attempt, to refrain from invoking the names of Kafka, Sartre, Shakespeare, St.Paul, Beckett, Birkett, Pinero, Pirandello, Dante and Dorothy L.Sayers.-Tom Stoppard, 'The Real Inspector Hound' (For a passage that is essentially cataloguing, this works on several levels. Very clever)

Thomasina-But instead, the Egyptian noodle made carnal embrace with the enemy who burned the great library of Alexandria without so much as a fine for all that is overdue. Oh, Septimus!-Can you bear it? All the lost plays of the Athenians! Two hundred at least by Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripedes-thousands of poems- Aristotle's own library brought to Egypt by the noodle's ancestors? How can we sleep for grief?
Septimus-By counting our stock. Seven plays from Aeschylus, seven from Sophocles, nineteen from Euripedes, my lady! You should no more grieve for the rest than for a buckle lost from your first shoe, or for your lesson book which will be lost when you are old. We shed as we pick up, like travellers who must carry everything in their arms, and what we let fall will be picked up by those behind. The procession is very long and life is very short. We die on the march. But there is nothing outside the march so nothing can be lost to it"
-Stoppard, 'Arcadia'.

Last edited:

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
One, a robot may not injure a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm;
Two, a robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law;
Three, a robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Isaac Asimov, the Robot Chronicles

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
He said, 'In all human history, no other intelligence has impinged on us, to our knowledge. This need only continue a few more centuries, perhaps little more than one ten thousandth of the time civilization has already existed, and we will be safe. After all,' and here Trevize felt a sudden twinge of trouble, which he forced himself to disregard, 'it is not as though we had the enemy already here and among us.'

And he did not look down to meed the brooding eyes of Fallom - hermaphroditic, transducive, different - as they rested, unfathomably, on him.

Isaac Asimov, the last two paragraphs of Foundation and Earth, the last 2 paragraphs of the series.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
If you write poetry, then the words should be your own..

When old age should this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty"--that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
-John Keats, 'Ode On A Grecian Urn'

Merry it was to laugh there--
Where death becomes absurd and life absurder.
For power was on us as we slashed bones bare
Not to feel sickness or remorse of murder
-Wilfred Owen, 'Apologia Pro Poemate Meo'

But now they drift on the still water,
Mysterious, beautiful;
Among what rushes will they build,
By what lake's edge or pool
Delight men's eyes when I awake some day
To find they have flown away?
-WB Yeats, 'The Wild Swans At Coole'

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
-Yeats, 'The Second Coming'

The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
-TS Elliot, 'The Wasteland'.

April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
Elliot, Ibid.

The soul is innocent and godly, it should not die alone in an armed madhouse-Allen Ginsberg, 'Howl'

We watch the fire blazing,
And feel the roots of the house move, but sit on,
Seeing the window tremble to come in,
Hearing the stones cry out under the horizons.
-Ted Hughes, 'Wind'.

Hope fell headlong from its eagle height-Gwen Harwood, 'The Glass Jar'.

From low to high doth dissolution climb,
And sink from high to low, along a scale
Of awful notes, whose concord shall not fail;
A musical but melancholy chime.
-William Wordsworth, 'Mutability'.

In a Station of the Metro
The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.
-Ezra Pound.

Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes haste to their end;
Each changing place with that which goes before,
In sequent toil all forwards do contend
-William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet LX'

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The play's the thing
in which we'll catch the
Conscience of the King

Hamlet.

When he says this, Hamlet just has this fire in his eyes I admire.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I loved studying Hamlet, has anyone seen the modern version starring Ethan Hawke?

I also like this line from Romeo & Juliet:
If love be rough with you, be rough with love

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Loz#1
I loved studying Hamlet, has anyone seen the modern version starring Ethan Hawke?

i got it out, and planned on watchin it, but i didnt, saw the first 5 mins though.. it looked interesting

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Bah, Kenneth Brannagh is the best Hamlet ever.

Richard III has the best lines though. Pity I can't remember any single ones.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I haven't seen the Kenneth Brannagh one, but I am meaning to get it out.

I had this quote site on my old computer in my favourites but I don't remember it. It was the best place for any book snippets and quotes.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
This one trumps them all. I love Wodehouse. :D

"What ho!" I said.
"What ho!" said Motty.
"What ho! What ho!"
"What ho! What ho! What ho!"
After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Its obviously depressing shit, but its good shit, hehe if you know what i mean. Theyre various snippets.

>>>>>>The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath

Cobwebs touched my face with the softness of moths.

I felt very still and empty, the way the eye of a tornado must feel, moving dully alone in the middle of the surroudnign hullabaloo.

The silence depressed me. It wasnt the silence of silence. It was my own silence. The city hung in my window flat as a poster, glittering and blinking, it might just as well not have been there at all.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Prose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet (With occasional rambling accompaniment.)

And there were many indications that Hanna Wendling was moving in this direction, and in essentials perhaps she was simply as usual anticipating a coming fashion, for the entropy of man implies his absolute isolation, and that which hitherto he has called harmony or equilbrium was perhaps only an image, an image of the social structure which he made for himself, and he could not help making, so long as he remained part of it. But the more lonely he becomes, the more disintegrated and isolated will things seem to him, the more indifferent he must become to the connections between things and finally he will scarcely be able any longer to see those connections-Hermann Broch, The Sleepwalkers, p.400 (Besides being well articulated, I find the essential insight of this passage remains true, and a powerful argument for not dislocating oneself from society, like the following quote;

Indifference is the paralysis of the soul. It is premature death.-Anton Chekhov, 'A Dreary Story'

The twins were too young to know that these were only history's henchmen, sent to square the books and collect the dues from those who broke its laws. Impelled by feelings that were primal yet paradoxically wholly impersonal. Feelings of contempt born of inchoate, unacknowledged fear-civilisation's fear of nature, men's fear of women, power's fear of powerlessness, man's subliminal urge to destroy what he could neither subdue nor deny-Arundhati Roy, The God Of Small Things, ,p.308

History, said Steven, is a nightmare from which I have been trying to awaken-James Joyce, Ulysses, p.42(?)

One by one they were all becoming shades. Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.-Joyce, 'The Dead' [Dubliners] p.175

"Just listen to that," said the chief clerk next door, "he's turning the key." That was a great encouragement to Gregor, but they should all have shouted encouragement to him, his father and mother too; "Go on Gregor," they should have called out, "keep going, hold on to that key!" And in the belief they were all following his efforts intently, he clenched his jaws recklessly on the key with all the force at his command.-Franz Kafka, 'The Metamorphosis' pp.11-12 (While possibly the most depressing passage in the novella, this passage is technically innovative. It represents an early example [1915] of depicting the protagonist's thought processes as not only hypothetical, but naively contrary to reality, heightening the tragic irony..)

In the office in which I work there are five people of whom I am afraid. Each of these five people is afraid of four people (excluding overlaps), for a total of twenty, and each of these twenty people is afraid of six people, making a total of one hundred and twenty people who are feared by at least one person. Each of these one hundred and twenty people is afraid of the other one hundred and nineteen, and all of these one hundred and forty-five people are afraid of the twelve men at the top who helped found this company and build the company and now own and direct it.-Joseph Heller, 'Something Happened', p.19.

[Alyosha] having lost his mother when he was in his fourth year, he remembered her all the rest of his life, her face, her caresses, 'every bit as though she stood before me in real life'. Images of this kind may be recalled (and this is no secret) from a yet earlier age, as far back as the age of two, but in such a manner that they emerge all one's life only as bright points in the dark, like a tiny corner torn from an enormous picture which has all faded and disappeared, apart from that one little corner. Exactly so it was with him: he remembered a certain morning, aestival, calm, an open window, the oblique rays of the setting sun (those oblique rays were what he remembered most of all), in a corner of a room an icon, before it a lighted lamp, and in front of the icon on her knees, sobbing as in a fit of hysterics, with screechings and shriekings, his mother, gripping him with both hands, embracing him tightly to the point of pain and supplicating for him to the Mother of God, stretching him forth out of her embraces with both hands towards the icon as though into the protection of the Mother..-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov ,pp.16-17.

Means To An Ending
I raised my head. The offing was barred by a black bank of clouds, and the tranquil waterway leading to the uttermost ends of the earth flowed sombre under an overcast sky--seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness-Joseph Conrad, 'Heart Of Darkness'

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further-..And one fine morning-
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-F Scott Fitzgerald, 'The Great Gatsby', pp.171-2

Gazing up into the darkness, I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity, and my eyes burned with anger and anguish-Joyce, 'Araby' [Dubliners] p.40

His [Gabriel Conroy] soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.-Ibid, 'The Dead', (Quite possibly my favourite literary sentence of all.).175

And a humourous quote to end this selection.
'So this is it,' said Arthur, 'we are going to die.'
'Yes,' said Ford, 'except...no! Wait a minute!' He suddenly lunged across the chamber at something behind Arthur's line of vision. 'Whats this switch?" he cried.
'What? Where?' cried Arthur, twisting round.
'No, I was only fooling,' said Ford, 'we are going to die after all.'
-Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, p.65.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Additional Non-Segregated Quotes (I have many favourites. :p)

This is the way the world ends,
Not with a bang, but a whimper
-TS Elliot, 'The Hollow Men'

What is the meaning of life? That was all--a simple question; one that tended to close in on one with years. The great revelation had never come. The great revelation perhaps never did come. Instead there were little daily miracles, illuminations, matches struck unexpectedly in the dark; here was one.-Virginia Woolf, 'To The Lighthouse', p.186

A terrible beauty is born.-WB Yeats, 'Easter 1916'

I have an idea that Gatsby himself didn't believe it would come, and perhaps he no longer cared. If that was true he must have felt that he had lost the old warm world, paid a high price for living too long with a single dream. He must have looked up at an unfamilar sky through frightening leaves and shivered as he foud what a grotesque thing a rose is and how raw the sunlight was upon the scarcely created grass. A new world, material without being real, where poor ghosts, breathing dreams like air, drifted fortuitously about....like that ashen, fantastic figure gliding toward him through the amorphous trees.-Fitzgerald, 'The Great Gatsby', p.153-4.

-But it's no use, says he. Force, hatred, history, all that. That's not life for men and women, insult and hatred. And everybody knows that it's the very opposite of that that is really life.
-What? says Alf
-Love, says Bloom.
-Joyce, Ulysses, p.432

token girl

HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
One, a robot may not injure a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm;
Two, a robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law;
Three, a robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Isaac Asimov, the Robot Chronicles
aah, another asimov fan. do you read heinlein too?

I don't tend to collect quotes from books...one quote never does the experience of reading the book justice.
However, since I'm procrastinating doing english h/w, here's my favourite from Anthony and Cleopatra

"Who does i'th'wars more than his captain can/becomes his captain's captain; and ambition/the soldier's virtue, rather makes choice of loss/than gain which darkens him"

snot

this one is awsome and a kinda good pick up line as well

"why do you try so hard to fit in, when you were born to stand out"

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Asimov is my fav, also like Heinlein and Niven, and a few others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)