Sex Selection: Yes, No or Maybe? (1 Viewer)

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
gattaca. But I think in the future most people would opt for genetic modification so their kids can be as disease free as possible. The more empowered women get through employment, rights and control of their reproductive system, the less you'll see upon people preferring males over females.

Tasteless

HSC
Hmmm...with too much of one gender, that could help with population explosion, right? :p
Yeah

I was actually thinking after I posted earlier that a huge disparity and subsequent population decrease is just what this planet needs.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Yeah

I was actually thinking after I posted earlier that a huge disparity and subsequent population decrease is just what this planet needs.
nope.avi

some areas need more people to sustain a population and others need a decrease. there's no one size fit all solution.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
well gender selection tends to be more prevalent in areas with enormous populations, which is good in that regard

however enormous gender disparities will in a few generations likely lead to significant social problems, with millions of men not being able to find partners, and non-western women becoming more western due to an over-abundance of suitors

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
well gender selection tends to be more prevalent in areas with enormous populations, which is good in that regard

however enormous gender disparities will in a few generations likely lead to significant social problems, with millions of men not being able to find partners, and non-western women becoming more western due to an over-abundance of suitors
mail order brides

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
That's true, but in the case of places like India (which is among the most active in gender selection), it's a less desirable place to live than most places mail-order brides usually come from, and the men missing out on local brides are going to be poorer men any way, making it less feasible.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
That's true, but in the case of places like India (which is among the most active in gender selection), it's a less desirable place to live than most places mail-order brides usually come from, and the men missing out on local brides are going to be poorer men any way, making it less feasible.
polygamy is also a problem too. it drives young men away from their communities when the rich create harems. you end up disenfranchising a lot of male youth who can't get any, and it doesn't help when they can't even jack either.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Smartest thing I've seen you say in a while

Chocco starfish

HSC
Uni Grad
I really don't see a big problem with it, aside from the fact religion teaches you that it's apparently wrong to play god, unless you are god. The only other potential problem is a replica of idian pregnancies with families choosing to have males only causing a population imbalance, aside from that its perfectly fine IMO.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah

I wasn't exactly being serious. Selecting gender, in my opinion, is unfair to the child.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)