Sex Selection: Yes, No or Maybe? (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Myself, I think sex selection is only okay if it's to avoid passing on a serious medical condition that only effects one sex

kittystar

HSC
Myself, I think sex selection is only okay if it's to avoid passing on a serious medical condition that only effects one sex
While I don't think that it's right to mess with nature, I do believe that if you can avoid a sex-linked disease it would be beneficial.

Tasteless

HSC
Yes, preferably so long as there's something in place to prevent significant gender disparity from happening.

Which I guess just means reserving the right to deny it in future if one gender ends up being chosen more frequently.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
Yes, preferably so long as there's something in place to prevent significant gender disparity from happening.

Which I guess just means reserving the right to deny it in future if one gender ends up being chosen more frequently.
Would it really matter anyway?

WeaselPowa

HSC

What a horrifying aspect.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
One only needs to look at China to see what a problem it has become.

That being said, it wouldn't be an issue in Australia or any other developed country for that matter.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah, pretty much this. If you allow parents to select gender then where is the line drawn for everything else?

I have conflicting thoughts on subjects like this though, in theory i'm supportive of "messing with nature" but I don't like the idea of someones attributes being selected by the parents. Not talking about gender here of course but IMO it would just lead to so many (more) parents trying to live their lives through their children and would just trivialise having any desirable attributes.

Tasteless

HSC
Well I dont think in an Australian context with our relatively low population it's likely to be a problem in the foreseeable future, so not really.
I was just thinking about China where there's a disparity of like 30-40 million cos girls aren't really wanted.

What a horrifying aspect.
?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
tfw feminsits have to choose between 'reproductive freedom' and the wholesale prevention of females being born.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah the woman in the second article worries me a bit, does it mean that children 2 through 7 were only really attempts to get girls and not actually wanted for the sake of having children. How much should your own wants and needs factor into those of your children.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
One only needs to look at China to see what a problem it has become.

That being said, it wouldn't be an issue in Australia or any other developed country for that matter.
ok yes the ratio is off but nobody ever talks about what it actually means. They all say it's bad but why is it bad? Not jk

WeaselPowa

HSC
Well I dont think in an Australian context with our relatively low population it's likely to be a problem in the foreseeable future, so not really.
I was just thinking about China where there's a disparity of like 30-40 million cos girls aren't really wanted.

?
Dw, I just imagined a bad case scenario where sex selection became unbelievably bias and started choosing girls.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Because that's how biologically human reproduction generally works... Your point?
His point is that nature usually does things for a reason. In fact nature is SO smart that it makes 1~05 boys for every 100 girls to compensate for the fact that women live longer.

If you get too many men then they are going I start competing for women to replace with, this will inevitably cause social problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)