Sex Ed in schools (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I find sexual education in schools to be completely useless, and it needs to stop being taught by teachers who are apparently uneasy with the idea of saying penis three times in 60 seconds.

It needs to be realistic, it needs to be graphic and the psychology more than the 'thrusting in and out' needs to be touched on.

Sex needs to stop being seen as such a taboo subject. I have kids come in to work asking for condoms, and it takes every ounce of courage for them to ask me and I just think, why? Why are they so conditioned to be so embarrassed to ask for contraceptives.

I also disagree with the emphasis on abstinence. Kids are going to have sex. Accept it. Of course it should be mentioned that realistically, abstinence is the only 100% contraception out there.

But really the key areas are
- The emotional effects of sex. Chances are it is not going to be awesome the first time you do it. There are ways in which you can make it more enjoyable. Sex is not mechanical! Engage in foreplay, get excited. The more lubricated and less tense you are down there, less chance of the condom breaking!
- The pathology of STD s and their transmittence.
- The methods of contraception available
- Honesty - with your sexual partner
- Available help should you find that you are pregnant, with an STD or rendered emotionally vulnerable after a traumatic 30 seconds of pubescent sex.

All of this should be done by health professionals, imo. Not teachers.
Angling for a job?

First and foremost I think this is a role for parents - schools afterall teach things parents can't.. we can asume that all parents have had sex at least once. Unfortunately we can't trust them to do a good job and so it falls to schools (like so many other things parents should handle).

I don't see what's wrong with schools doing it - if they do it right and if they do it early enough. These conversations need to start before children are sexually active, not after.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Kids need to be told that heroin will give you the greatest feeling on earth. But there are risks, and if you were to use it, there's a certain way to go about it.
Heroin's an evil little drug, just like ice, once you're hooked, you're pretty much fucked. There's no right way to go about it. The same cannot be said for marijuana and to an extent, ecstasy.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Angling for a job?

First and foremost I think this is a role for parents - schools afterall teach things parents can't.. we can asume that all parents have had sex at least once. Unfortunately we can't trust them to do a good job and so it falls to schools (like so many other things parents should handle).

I don't see what's wrong with schools doing it - if they do it right and if they do it early enough. These conversations need to start before children are sexually active, not after.
Parents are shit imo, and teachers are ill equipped for the job.

No reason why they can't have a series of classes whereby experts, or at least those with a particular background in this sort of thing, who can provide objective and informative information without skipping past the details and thinking putting a condom on a banana is sufficient.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Angling for a job?

First and foremost I think this is a role for parents
- schools afterall teach things parents can't.. we can asume that all parents have had sex at least once. Unfortunately we can't trust them to do a good job and so it falls to schools (like so many other things parents should handle).

Why? We don't entirely leave the development of a child's numeracy, literacy etc. up to the parent and in fact we require the parent to submit their child to an institution for these things for the child's own benefit. Why shouldn't we put this in a required sphere since it's something that's not only vital for the child's benefit but everyone that child may or may not infect/impregnate/etc. in the future. That child learning these things is, as odd as it sounds, a matter of public safety to an extent.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Heroin's an evil little drug, just like ice, once you're hooked, you're pretty much fucked. There's no right way to go about it. The same cannot be said for marijuana and to an extent, ecstasy.
Not really. Many wiser heroin users use it only occasionally, on weekends or with friends, and are able to maintain normal full lives, never becoming addicted.

Most of the health problems associated with heroin use are life-style related or linked to the route of administration. Proper use, hygiene and sterilization, not sharing needles etc.. are the sorts of things that could be taught in drug education. Heroin itself is relatively non-toxic.

It's well documented that many addicts are able to completely recover from addiction.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Angling for a job?

So you're saying that it is a role for parents, and at the same time acknowledging that parents can't be trusted to perform that role?

Well if that's the case, why shouldn't the role be appointed to a health professional who CAN be trusted to perform it properly, being adequately trained and qualified to do so?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Was done at my school really well over sessions in year 7, 8, 9 and 10 by local counsellors, doctors and sexual health nurses. No teachers. I guess they make in good in rural vic as there's nothing to do except drink, do drugs and have sex. lol. We had good programs for those other things too.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Not really. Many wiser heroin users use it only occasionally, on weekends or with friends, and are able to maintain normal full lives, never becoming addicted.

Most of the health problems associated with heroin use are life-style related or linked to the route of administration. Proper use, hygiene and sterilization, not sharing needles etc.. are the sorts of things that could be taught in drug education. Heroin itself is relatively non-toxic.

It's well documented that many addicts are able to completely recover from addiction.
I'd be willing to put it out there that only the minority of users would have the sort of resistance you are describing, no statistics to cite, but you really do get the impression that most users are swept away from the extensive rehabilitation programs having to be undertaken by so many people.

Perhaps one day there can be a way to slowly allow people to use heroin 'smartly,' but we are far away from that day, especially when we are still using Methodone to ween addicts off heroin.

Even if someone only uses it on weekends, say, they would still experience the withdrawal symptoms, which were described by Gregory David Roberts (famous author and ex-heroin addict, recommend his books btw) as one of the most excruciating experiences of his life, and he had gone through actual torture before.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The Church, in her concern for man’s authentic development, urges man to have full respect for human values in the exercise of his sexuality. It cannot be reduced merely to pleasure or entertainment, nor can sex education be reduced to technical instruction aimed solely at protecting the interested parties from possible disease or the “risk” of procreation. This would be to impoverish and disregard the deeper meaning of sexuality, a meaning which needs to be acknowledged and responsibly appropriated not only by individuals but also by the community. It is irresponsible to view sexuality merely as a source of pleasure, and likewise to regulate it through strategies of mandatory birth control. In either case materialistic ideas and policies are at work, and individuals are ultimately subjected to various forms of violence. Against such policies, there is a need to defend the primary competence of the family in the area of sexuality, as opposed to the State and its restrictive policies, and to ensure that parents are suitably prepared to undertake their responsibilities.

B_B_J

Banned
HSC
The Church, in her concern for man’s authentic development, urges man to have full respect for human values in the exercise of his sexuality. It cannot be reduced merely to pleasure or entertainment, nor can sex education be reduced to technical instruction aimed solely at protecting the interested parties from possible disease or the “risk” of procreation. This would be to impoverish and disregard the deeper meaning of sexuality, a meaning which needs to be acknowledged and responsibly appropriated not only by individuals but also by the community. It is irresponsible to view sexuality merely as a source of pleasure, and likewise to regulate it through strategies of mandatory birth control. In either case materialistic ideas and policies are at work, and individuals are ultimately subjected to various forms of violence. Against such policies, there is a need to defend the primary competence of the family in the area of sexuality, as opposed to the State and its restrictive policies, and to ensure that parents are suitably prepared to undertake their responsibilities.
hey Iron bro, are you only going to have sex with your wife to make a baby?like wtf.
So umm if you dont have the intention of making a baby then that means your not going to have sex yea?
bro you need to snap out of it and embrace freedom bro.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
hey Iron bro, are you only going to have sex with your wife to make a baby?like wtf.
So umm if you dont have the intention of making a baby then that means your not going to have sex yea?
bro you need to snap out of it and embrace freedom bro.
I have embraced freedom and it's sweeter and richer than the shallow and unsatisfying materialism you all hold up as true salvation.

Openness to life is at the centre of true development. When a society moves towards the denial or suppression of life, it ends up no longer finding the necessary motivation and energy to strive for man's true good. If personal and social sensitivity towards the acceptance of a new life is lost, then other forms of acceptance that are valuable for society also wither away. The acceptance of life strengthens moral fibre and makes people capable of mutual help. By cultivating openness to life, wealthy peoples can better understand the needs of poor ones, they can avoid employing huge economic and intellectual resources to satisfy the selfish desires of their own citizens, and instead, they can promote virtuous action within the perspective of production that is morally sound and marked by solidarity, respecting the fundamental right to life of every people and every individual.

This is why these UK moves are so sickening and so alarming. They speak of a dark future before us...

Nousiainen

HSC
N/A
One of the other classes at my former high school had a very prudish teacher who would intentionally skip over the words 'penis', 'vagina', 'sex' and so on. So it'll be like "The male inserts his ... into the .... this resulting in .... ". Teachers like that shouldn't be teaching health. Fortunately my teacher was not as prudish. :shy:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I really cant tell whether you guys read what I say and are too challenged to comment, or whether you just ignore it.

Once I read over some random older posts of mine and I was deeply impressed and provoked into assessing how they line up with my current views. I found this rewarding, but will never do it again.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I really cant tell whether you guys read what I say and are too challenged to comment, or whether you just ignore it.

Once I read over some random older posts of mine and I was deeply impressed and provoked into assessing how they line up with my current views. I found this rewarding, but will never do it again.
You stared into the abyss and the abyss stared back?

Tbh I find reading old posts/essays/etc to be a bit painful - on the one hand it is interesting to assess the change over time.... on the other hand change has been progress so it's a bit like looking at a more primitive version of myself... questionable grammar, flawed arguments, ideologies I no longer ascribe to... in a way it makes me a bit uncomfortable... embarrassed even...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)