Senior Knowledge (1 Viewer)

HSC
ok here we go.....

u sit ur hsc course and do all ur internal assessment, u do all the assignments and exams

eventually u'll end up for a mark on ur report out of 100

lets take maths, and the mark i got for instance, since its easier
i got 86/100 for my maths HSC (take into account that i'm only year 11) and i ranked 16th in my skool

however, i will not necessarily get the 86/100 for my assessment mark of my hsc, i will get the 16th highest HSC exam mark of my school

for instance, the 16th highest HSC exam mark maybe 93, so i will get 93 for my HSC assessment mark instead of 86 YAY!

however, if the 16th highest HSC exam mark is only 83, i will still get 86, so the mark u get on ur report is ur minimum for HSC assessment

ur HSC exam mark will be ur own

ok, so say i got 93 for my HSC assessment (cos the 16th highest guy got 93) and i got 90 for my HSC exam mark

i will get (93 + 90)/2
= 92 (rounded)

so i will end up with 92 for my overall HSC mark for maths

understand?

reply if ur still confused

Sofstar

HSC
Hehehe.

It's like a shopping queue. BOS will go down the line and decide where the cut off points are and so what UAI mark you get. Your mission? To get to the counter. Hahahaha.

I don't really understand the school rankings either but im guessing it's when you get a certain number of people over a certain mark?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
mchappypants said:
Wait, if I come first in my 4u maths class (which I undoubtedly will as I will be the only one doing it) and i get 80% for my assessment ill still get 98 or 100 or whatever? But then for my exam i get 80% and then my overall mark will be 90%
Umm, that just means that you get whatever mark you get in the HSC exam as your assessment mark, which will then become your HSC mark.
jenez said:
Thank you all for your help, you have ALL been very helpful, keep it up. =D
I was wondering also does the Syllabus change each year or does it remain the same (will the syllabus this year differ to the yr 11 syllabus next year?) what are the best subjects to get a ‘head start on’? And could someone please explain how the advanced English course operates in response to choosing texts to studying and the ‘journey’ topi. Thanks
Hmm, you'll be doing a different Area of Study than the 07ers, so I don't know how that is going to work out. It would be best to get a head start on every subject you do :)

jenez

HSC
Is there anything else we should know? Has anyone else got any tips? (also in regard to the current school certificate)
, Jen

Last edited:

Sofstar

HSC
Read the question. Might sound stupid but one can make easily mis-read (sp?) questions.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
If you actually want to do well in the SC, then study only the night before :)
What? That is much too intense and only for nerds.

Start studying 1 hour before the exam, no earlier and no later. If you do >1hour then you're considered a nerd and if you do <1hour then you're a lazy bum who will fail the HSC. It's a fine line.

Also, do not bother writing notes. Just scab off your friends then beat them to ensure a long and healthy friendship.

This is the most important advice to beat the History SC. Have an "essay" ready about Aboriginals and Feminism.

jenez

HSC
Has the 2007 year 11/ Preliminary course syllabus been created, does it differ from the 2006 syllabus?

IceOnFire

HSC
jenez said:
Has the 2007 year 11/ Preliminary course syllabus been created, does it differ from the 2006 syllabus?
For the preliminary course I don't think it differs from the 2006 syllabus, but for your 2008 HSC they are going to change the syllabus (I think). Apparently you have to create your own stimulus booklet for AOS instead of been given one.

Haha!

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Yeah, don't stress out in year 11 too much, but year 11's should experience what it is like to feel stressed... so that they can manage and handle it for year 12. Personally I started getting my act together and started revision of my year 11 work from the start of term 2 - before term 2 I bludged and mucked around all day long without realising just how important it is to learn all the foundations etc.
I started independently preparing myself for senior studies when I bumped into this BoS site. When I look at my year now, not many people have started their preparation, luckily i've been able to hear from people on BoS about the hsc, how to study etc.

At my school, my teachers don't give out the syllabus dot points to us students, and this is when you need to print them out yourself from the www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au website - take some initiative :)

I've heard from HEAPS of people say that hand writing your study notes using the syllabus is the most effective way, because there is some connnection with your hand to your brain (obviously duuhhh) :D

Personally I like to get a plain sheet of A4 white paper and I scribble down all the important "small notes" on it (the ones that are vital and I might forget) using different coloured pens and then I stick up that sheet full of vital notes on my wall infront of me - so I see it everyday when I do work. This method helped me HEAPSSS and I still do it now.

Year 11 work is ALL ABOUT MAKING MISTAKES (and then learning from them / making improvements), what it takes to get a high mark and things that cause you to get a low mark. Don't stress if you get 67% in your english exam or "only a 78%" - sometimes it's not just about the mark which reflects your "intelligence" or your ability in that subject - because teachers sometimes purposely mark very hard to further prepare them for the HSC year.

Personally I pursposely experimented in my assessments:
1) I did dot point responses in my sor2u exam and biology exam to see how the markers mark it - they don't mark you down too low :)
2) I prepared a prepared essay 2 weeks prior due date and I prepared another prepared essay 1 day before the due date - the prior prepared essay got the band 6 whilst the other got band 4.
Things like that, just experiment - especially methods of HOW TO STUDY so you can see and choose which methods suit you for the upcoming HSC year.

jenez

HSC
I have had a look around the Boardofstudies site for copy of the syllabuses for the subjects I am doing next year and I’m not sure where to located them.

jenez

HSC
I am atrocious at time management in exams. I get so nervous in exams and rush and make a big mess of things. And somehow, after rushing my entire exam still only manage to finish on the last minute. I’m really worried that I won’t be able to rid myself of this, and it will happen in my HSC exams. =( sigh.

Last edited:

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
jenez said:
I don't think the syllabus has changed since 2003, not too sure though.
jenez said:
I am atrocious at time management in exams. I get so nervous in exams and rush and make a big mess of things. And somehow, after rushing my entire exam still only manage to finish on the last minute. I’m really worried that I won’t be able to rid myself of this, and it will happen in my HSC exams. =( sigh.
Before you actually start writing in the exam, maybe spend the first 5 or so minutes writing down important little pieces of info you might forget later like, for maths, you could write down the formulas you would need or something. It could save you from sitting there trying to remember halfway through the test.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
After my overseas holiday, i dont think i'll have anything to do. So is it possible to learn most of the prelim 3u maths topics in the holidays?

twilight1412

HSC
if you really really want to get ahead then do that but for the rest of use we'll learn as we go

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I have a question: in senior years, do you still use exercise books, or would you reccommend having one notebook where you write all your notes in for the day and can later rip the pages and place them into subject-designated folders?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)