Senior Knowledge (1 Viewer)

jenez

HSC
I created this thread initially on the School Certificate Forum area and have received some really helpful advice, however I thought seeing as this section of the forum addresses the Preliminary course I would receive a better response.

“It has come to my attention that alot of past HSCers and those who are currently completing their HSC/ year 11ers visit this forum to help each other out. I though that those who do, if willing to could share some advice for us year 10’s going on next year.

To allow us to know what to expect, to provide us with reliable study and revision methods, and just anything that might make the steep transition a little easier. I though that if it started straight away we would have enough time during the end of this year to prepare. I’ve decided to use the information posted/ provided to create a folder/portfolio of senior knowledge, to use as a motivational guide for next year.”

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks can’t wait to here from you
, Jen P.S feel free to P.M me also.

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I suggest for both years, that you take the syllabus of each subject that you are doing and make sure that you cover every point throughout the course of the year, that way it will save you time from making entire sets of notes a couple of weeks before the major exams.

IceOnFire

HSC
Always ALWAYS write up your notes early.

Never leave them till the last minute, such as your final exams.

Try and revise over your subject every school night, and sometimes read ahead to get a general idea of what to expect.

Have a hobby where you can escape from the stress of school work, such as weekend sport, art, music, etc. You can't study 24/7 after all.. :)

jenez

HSC
Thank you for your help.
Where do I get the syllabuses from?
I though I would post my subject selection for next year also, if there are any tips in relation to this subject that would be greatly appreciate.
Advanced English
Mathematics
Biology
Visual Arts
Ancient History
Drama
The current year 10's/ approaching Year 11'ers look forward to hearing form you all. Jen,

jenez

HSC
Thanks =D Your posts have all beenvery helpful.

I was talking to a few friends who are currently in year 11 and they suggested reading over key areas of the curriculum for next year during the Christmas holidays, to get a bit of an idea and be prepared for next year. However I’m not to sure what areas are the key areas. If anyone is currently doing the subjects I have chosen it would b very helpful if you could suggest what areas would be the most important to read over or practice. =D

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I suggest for both years, that you take the syllabus of each subject that you are doing and make sure that you cover every point throughout the course of the year, that way it will save you time from making entire sets of notes a couple of weeks before the major exams.
What he said. Seriously, It makes such a huge difference. I only started making them halfway through the year and I regret it. Not only do you have everything just sitting there for you when exams time comes around, while you are making them it help so much in understanding what you are learning since you are actually going through your class notes instead of just shoving them in your folder.

If there was one bit of advice I had to give you it is that. And you have to stick to it, no matter if you have homework and assesments to do.

Oh, and dont leave assesments till the last minute. But I know that you wont listen to that one anyway. No one ever does.

And also dont forget to have some FUN!! Unlike me, who is on BoS on a saturday night lol!!!

muttiah

Banned
HSC
just dont fall behind and doo all the homework that the teacher sets!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
What he said. Seriously, It makes such a huge difference. I only started making them halfway through the year and I regret it. Not only do you have everything just sitting there for you when exams time comes around, while you are making them it help so much in understanding what you are learning since you are actually going through your class notes instead of just shoving them in your folder.

If there was one bit of advice I had to give you it is that. And you have to stick to it, no matter if you have homework and assesments to do.

Oh, and dont leave assesments till the last minute. But I know that you wont listen to that one anyway. No one ever does.

And also dont forget to have some FUN!! Unlike me, who is on BoS on a saturday night lol!!!
I know, I started doing my legal notes only 2 weeks before the exam, and I only just finished them tonight, and the exam's on Tuesday :eek: And I'm on BoS on Sunday night :p

There is no way that I'll ever do an assignment until the last minute :eek:

Last edited:

IceOnFire

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
I do.. I will listen to you.. :)

jessdoit

HSC
Well you're a queer one : P The only assessments I've ever started early-ish but ended up doing the main body of are major works! Otherwise most of it is overnight works man hahahah. It's fantastic. The night before an assessment is due you'll see a gazillion of your mates online : D

jenez

HSC
In response to making notes following the syllabus what is the best material to write the notes on? Using a word processor/ typing, making flash cards, writing in a notebook, folder, or coloured paper? I was wondering what you find best. Jenny =D

Sofstar

HSC
jenez said:
In response to making notes following the syllabus what is the best material to write the notes on? Using a word processor/ typing, making flash cards, writing in a notebook, folder, or coloured paper? I was wondering what you find best. Jenny =D
I bought one of those notepads that are divided up inside and each one had a subject. I prefer writing over word processing cuz technology pisses me off too much. And you can make it all colourful! highlighting important points, makes it more interesting to read.

jenez

HSC
Thank you all for your help, you have ALL been very helpful, keep it up. =D
I was wondering also does the Syllabus change each year or does it remain the same (will the syllabus this year differ to the yr 11 syllabus next year?) what are the best subjects to get a ‘head start on’? And could someone please explain how the advanced English course operates in response to choosing texts to studying and the ‘journey’ topi. Thanks

jenez

HSC
I was just reading a post about HSC rankings and marks. How is your mark determined? I don’t quite understand the school positioning and overall school ranking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)