SENG1031 (Software Engineering Workshop) For GenEd (1 Viewer)

Cyclamatic

HSC
N/A
So I'm currently doing Civil Engineering and I'm choosing a Free Elective for Semester 2. I was looking through the Handbook and Seng1031 caught my eye, esp since I like coding/building software as a hobby. However, even though it says it is available for General Education, it also says that as a prerequisite you need to be enrolled in a Software Engineering stream. Was this just an error on the handbook page? But I checked the whole list of Gen Education subjects and it's there as well. Does anyone know if I can actually enrol in this subject?

Cyclamatic

HSC
N/A
Yep. That's the one. My friend doing CompSci says she can't enrol in it, but I'm not sure if that's because she's under CSE and it won't count as a GenEd or not.

HSC
N/A
Yep. That's the one. My friend doing CompSci says she can't enrol in it, but I'm not sure if that's because she's under CSE and it won't count as a GenEd or not.
You're not enrolled in a Software Engineering Program and this would not be the course for you (barely or no coding). You should do COMP1917 instead.

The Gen Ed part probably apply if you were in the Software Engineering degree and did this course then transferred to another degree outside Engineering in a later year.

Cyclamatic

HSC
N/A
Haha. I did COMP1917 last year (and 1927 in the summer). However, I did it in Semester 2 so I missed out on the Amazing Richard Buckland Experience everyone whose done the course raves on about ): My only regret.

D94

HSC
N/A
This is a question for the School of CSE and/or Civil.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha. I did COMP1917 last year (and 1927 in the summer). However, I did it in Semester 2 so I missed out on the Amazing Richard Buckland Experience everyone whose done the course raves on about ): My only regret.
tbh; you didn't miss much. I personally didn't like the whole MOOC thing. One of the reasons i moved to 1911

HSC
N/A
There's not much to do for COMP for a gen ed after those 2. http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/vbook2014/brGenEdByFaculty.jsp#Faculty of Engineering
I would recommend COMP2041, not a gen-ed.

There's ENGG1811 (VBA & Matlab), COMP1400 (Java, may be too easy), COMP3511 (no coding, focused on UI & Design).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
wait; OP is doing a engineering degree so s/he cannot do gen ed's within the engineering faculty?

D94

HSC
N/A
wait; OP is doing a engineering degree so s/he cannot do gen ed's within the engineering faculty?
That is true and probably will be the case here, but ultimately, it's up to the School to decide.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What is so different about it though.

I've heard that 1917 is made easier to pass second semester because it caters for a big portion of people who failed it in first semester.

Then again that is hearsay and could just be a bogus claim.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

I've heard that 1917 is made easier to pass second semester because it caters for a big portion of people who failed it in first semester.

i remember richard saying everyone in session 1 2013, passed except for 1 person

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I don't know about. There is another lecturer that runs things differently.

In the final exam you're allowed to use the class notes and what not to help you
Can you bring in the textbook used?

Because that would be a relief.

Cyclamatic

HSC
N/A

I've just heard that COMP1917 Semester 1, and particularly Richard Buckland, is one of the greatest things about UNSW? The course is supposed to be super fun and engaging, and Richard is meant to be a great lecturer. I'm just upset I missed out on all that hype. Semester 2 COMP1917 was pretty typical and self-interested. I enjoyed the content, but I could imagine someone coming into Computing for the first time to be really bored.

Then again, one of my friends who did it in Semester 1 really disliked the way the lectures were set up. Apparently you had to watch them all online?

I would actually go ahead and say about 65% of my class was made up on midyear transfers/late starters/international students.

i remember richard saying everyone in session 1 2013, passed except for 1 person
Really? No way could that be true. A bunch of people in my COMP1917 Semester 2 class were there cos they didn't pass Semester 1. But tbh, a lot of the ones who didn't pass Sem 1, I don't think passed Sem 2 either. Some were just in a really bad place for the entire year, and others were just obviously not cut out for Computing.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Really? No way could that be true. A bunch of people in my COMP1917 Semester 2 class were there cos they didn't pass Semester 1. But tbh, a lot of the ones who didn't pass Sem 1, I don't think passed Sem 2 either. Some were just in a really bad place for the entire year, and others were just obviously not cut out for Computing.
I heard that from richard in the very first lecture of the year (iirc). A lot of students were worried about the workload and how much time it takes or maybe he was just bullshitting so that people stay in his course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)