Semester 1 USYD Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Some of the nursing assessments are so bizarre. In one subject 35% weighting was given to a 5 minute group-work video, and in another 30% to a poster design. Seriously weird. Is this why we're/they're isolated on our/their own little campus?

Last edited:

egress

HSC
Seems like construction fences are going up all over the place. All I know is that Merewether will be demolished, business will move to Abercrombie and Economics will move somewhere on Science Road (?). Does anyone have a good idea of what else is going to change around campus?

antheung

HSC
N/A
Seems like construction fences are going up all over the place. All I know is that Merewether will be demolished, business will move to Abercrombie and Economics will move somewhere on Science Road (?). Does anyone have a good idea of what else is going to change around campus?
Will they build anything there after Merewether is demolished?

rope

HSC
N/A
Lots.

Here's a good overview:

Here's the development schedule (dates may have changed though):

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
So i messed up my CHEM1901 prac marks pretty badly, i got like 40/45 for prelab quizes in all, and on the last of pracs, the guy told us that they take marks off without telling you during the lab. So I'm going to just estimate that I got approximately 10 out of the 15 % that goes to my final mark. Then I lost 1% to the quizzes. But got free 10% from those online quizzes. So does this mean I need a 85% raw to get an HD in the final exams now?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
If raw marks translate directly into course marks, then yes. Not sure if the Department of Chemistry moderate the marks at all though.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
If raw marks translate directly into course marks, then yes. Not sure if the Department of Chemistry moderate the marks at all though.
They don't.

My raw marks throughout the year added up was equal to my final mark.

Same with just about everyone else I know.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Thought you just needed to pass the pre-labs to get full marks, so I actually did my all my pre-labs during the beginning of the lab cause I didn't know they were actually going towards your final marks.

Last edited:

rope

HSC
N/A

RealiseNothing

HSC
Couple questions:

1) My degree is out by 3CP. i.e. if I continue doing 6CP subjects I'll finish with 141CP.

I don't know of any 3CP subjects I can do to fix this.

Am I allowed to do an extra 6CP subject and make it 147CP (so I'll be 3CP over the limit)?

2) Has anyone done MATH3977: Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics?

Is it good/hard? Considering doing it next sem to reduce my 3rd year workload.

Also couple other friends are potentially doing it too.

But kinda scared I will get rekt by it.

antheung

HSC
N/A
Couple questions:

1) My degree is out by 3CP. i.e. if I continue doing 6CP subjects I'll finish with 141CP.

I don't know of any 3CP subjects I can do to fix this.

Am I allowed to do an extra 6CP subject and make it 147CP (so I'll be 3CP over the limit)?
I had the same issue. Sydney Student won't allow you to do 6CP subject once your selection gives you 141CP. So you will have to apply for special permission to do one more 6CP subject (there's an option that says your reason for applying is because you want to exceed the maximum credit points allowed for your degree)

2) Has anyone done MATH3977: Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics?

Is it good/hard? Considering doing it next sem to reduce my 3rd year workload.

Also couple other friends are potentially doing it too.

But kinda scared I will get rekt by it.
I myself didn't do it, but I had 2 friends who did it last semester. Both of them are reasonably smart but they both struggled pretty badly throughout the semester (they said most people struggled with the subject). One of them ended up with a pass and the other ended up with a credit -- but again, they were reasonably smart people. In fact, I think I heard one of the 3rd year maths lecturers (not Holger himself) saying that MATH3977 is very hard ... :cold:

RealiseNothing

HSC
I had the same issue. Sydney Student won't allow you to do 6CP subject once your selection gives you 141CP. So you will have to apply for special permission to do one more 6CP subject (there's an option that says your reason for applying is because you want to exceed the maximum credit points allowed for your degree)

I myself didn't do it, but I had 2 friends who did it last semester. Both of them are reasonably smart but they both struggled pretty badly throughout the semester (they said most people struggled with the subject). One of them ended up with a pass and the other ended up with a credit -- but again, they were reasonably smart people. In fact, I think I heard one of the 3rd year maths lecturers (not Holger himself) saying that MATH3977 is very hard ... :cold:
Ok cool so I can do 147CP. Which means I'm going to have to do an extra 3rd year subject next year.

LOL looks like I'm not going to be doing 3977 (at least not this year).

I think I'm going with PDE's/financial/algebra/geometry and topology.

I would consider overloading if there are any "easy" 3rd year subjects next sem since I'm going to be doing 147CP anyway by the looks of it. Rather do the extra subject now than next year when I'll be getting rekt by like Metric spaces/galois theory/diff geometry/measure theory.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Also 3977 recommends having done 2965 beforehand, so it may not be best to do them at the same time.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
I did the subject myself and found the subject alright/not TOO hard and I'm not that smart haha and yeah it's very physics-y but it's up to you :)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
lol if you're trying to ease your workload, I would definitely advise against picking any subject with the word "dynamics" in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)