Selective entry for year 11 Penrith SHS. (1 Viewer)

dhwanit2005

HSC
Hi guys, I am in year 10 and I recently applied for selective entry into Penrith in year 11. I do not know how to prepare for it. They test for Reading comprehension, Mathematical reasoning, abstract reasoning, and written expression. How do I study for the different sections and what type of questions will be asked in these tests. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I have previously provided some information on the Higher Ability Selection Test (HAST). I haven't done the HAST myself, but I believe you should expect some rather challenging questions within each test component that fall within the scope of the content you learned in year 10 (Senior Secondary test).

As you mentioned, the HAST is indeed comprised of the following components:
  • Mathematical reasoning
  • Reading comprehension
  • Abstract reasoning
  • Written expression
    • Part One: Discursive task
    • Part Two: Creative task
Below is information about each individual section assessed within the HAST as well as tips that I believe can assist you in preparing for your test:

The mathematical reasoning component consists of multiple-choice questions. You should pay close attention to your answers, especially in the case of trick questions, and ensure the options you did not select are wrong.

The reading comprehension component also consists of multiple-choice questions. In order to do well, you should read both the questions and the options carefully as some may be more correct than others. They seemingly differentiate some of the answers using wording that the student may not be able to notice, such as "might" vs "must".

The abstract reasoning component also consists of multiple-choice questions. This section is said to be more difficult to prepare for because it relies on logical reasoning, as opposed to what you know. Patterns seem like a concept that is assessed within this component. This is an example of a question that can appear within the abstract reasoning component:

1627096744279.png

The written expression component includes 2 writing tasks. Whether you may be required to write a creative and/or a discursive might differ from year to year. This is an example of a creative writing question that you can expect:

Often in books or on radio or television, a person in a story says 'Safe at last!' when they reach home or find hiding places.

Write a story which uses 'Safe at last!' as an important saying.

This is an example of a discursive writing question that you can expect:

Is social media a distraction? Justify your answer.

I hope you find this helpful, good luck with your test and application! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)