• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sefton HIgh SChool (1 Viewer)

thecriclover99

HSC
I go to Sefton High School.
Do I have any hope of doing well in the HSC?
Is there any way to tell how the ranking of your school will affect your overall HSC marks?

Thanks,
Ravi

P

pLuvia

Your school is pretty highly ranked which means if you do well internally you well do well externally as well, hence a better chance of getting a high UAI. Well if you do bad then even your school can't help you.

The higher the school rank the higher chance you have of getting a high UAI

And you're still in year 11, you can't determine anything at this time

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Your school means jack all if you fail or get top marks.

Its just a way of regulating internal marks from what i understand, but basically it majorly depends on your ability to get the marks in the first place.

Therefore, its up to you, rather than external factors.

thecriclover99

HSC
So from what ur saying which is beter...

Doing well in a lower ranked school
or
Doing ok in a higher ranked school

Cuz from wat ur saying, if it just goes on rankings then what happens to the average ppl in schools like Sydney Boys?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Basically, you get what you earn.

A top student at Penrith High (by top i'm talking basically top marks and whatnot) , *should* outdo someone mediocre at some GPS school.

A l

HSC
N/A
thecriclover99 said:
Is there any way to tell how the ranking of your school will affect your overall HSC marks?

Thanks,
Ravi
I go to Sefton High School as well. It was ranked 28th last year, a big jump from 56th place in 2004. Hopefully, this year we could pull it closer to the top 20.;)
The overall ranking of the school relative to the state will in no way directly affect your individual performance. All schools are placed on an equal scale regardless of their historical performances. This is done by adjusting the marks according to your performance in the EXTERNAL HSC EXAMS, where everybody in the state attempts the same exam per course, thus all students can be compared on a statewide basis. That's why "higher ranked" schools generally have better HSC results than others because they excel in the external examinations.
So, as long as you get a good or decent rank internally and you perform well externally, you can easily do well in the HSC. To give you a rough idea of where you might need to stand in Year 12, I think last year around half the grade scored a UAI of 90.00 or higher, so if you're above average then you are in a fairly good position....

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
AsyLum said:
Basically, you get what you earn.

A top student at Penrith High (by top i'm talking basically top marks and whatnot) , *should* outdo someone mediocre at some GPS school.
I go to penrith high, most of the people work pretty hard and get uai's over 85 and those who dont get crap UAI's just because your schools selective dosent mean your going to get a high uai.

Penrith ranked 23rd by SMH haha beating sefton it was ranked 50th in 2004. But i've got to admit the people are getting dumber at my school.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
pLuvia said:
Your school is pretty highly ranked which means if you do well internally you well do well externally as well, hence a better chance of getting a high UAI. Well if you do bad then even your school can't help you.

The higher the school rank the higher chance you have of getting a high UAI

And you're still in year 11, you can't determine anything at this time
So the lower your school rank is the lower chance of getting a high UAI?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Deltan said:
So the lower your school rank is the lower chance of getting a high UAI?
It's the individuals performance that matters, not the school.

P

pLuvia

Not a lower chance, you still have to put in the same effort and all just that being in a selective schools allows students to be exposed to more, different things that could benefit them hence why they might have a higher chance

G

genavania

i played a bush dance in year 5 for kids from Sefton. it was in Bathurst. did anyone go?

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
thecriclover99 said:
Im just getting confused here...
I thought scaling took into account the rank of ur school:confused:
Well you thought wrong. The UAI is a rank that compares you to the rest of the state. If you do well compared to the rest of the state then your UAI will reflect that. If you do bad compared to the rest of the state then your UAI will reflect that. It does not matter which school you go to. I suggest you forget about school rankings and the whole scaling process and just concentrate on your work/study.

Last edited:

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
damn. i was hoping i'd get scaled up 50 just because i go to a selective..oh well, i guess it's bricklaying for me. =/

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
thecriclover99 said:

Thanks,
Ravi
Of course man...I go to SHS too. For the last two years the highest UAI was 99.85 which is pretty good considering both of them scored a top 10 rank in the state for Mathematics Extension 2. People like you probably think the school's crap because of the retarded english staff, but the maths staff kick ass. Nearly half the people who do Mathematics score 90+ in it. Last year there were 4 people in the state top 20 for Mathematics from Sefton, with one of them topping the state. Other state rankings include a girl who topped Accounting and one guy (from our grade)who topped Khmer Continuers, a girl scored 10th in Biology, and one guy scored 6th in Mathematics Extension 2 AND 2nd in History Extension. Ignore the lazy english staff and Sefton High School isn't bad at all considering that its partially selective.
Therefore that's proof that it doesn't matter what the rank of the school is, as long as you try your best....
Besides school ranks change every year based on how many band 6 or band E4 results the school, depends on how well your whole grade goes in getting band 6 or E4......Also, if there was such a thing called "selective school scaling", what happens to partially selective schools like us........?

thecriclover99

HSC
Trebla said:
Of course man...I go to SHS too. For the last two years the highest UAI was 99.85 which is pretty good considering both of them scored a top 10 rank in the state for Mathematics Extension 2. People like you probably think the school's crap because of the retarded english staff, but the maths staff kick ass. Nearly half the people who do Mathematics score 90+ in it. Last year there were 4 people in the state top 20 for Mathematics from Sefton, with one of them topping the state. Other state rankings include a girl who topped Accounting and one guy (from our grade)who topped Khmer Continuers, a girl scored 10th in Biology, and one guy scored 6th in Mathematics Extension 2 AND 2nd in History Extension. Ignore the lazy english staff and Sefton High School isn't bad at all considering that its partially selective.
Therefore that's proof that it doesn't matter what the rank of the school is, as long as you try your best....
Besides school ranks change every year based on how many band 6 or band E4 results the school, depends on how well your whole grade goes in getting band 6 or E4......Also, if there was such a thing called "selective school scaling", what happens to partially selective schools like us........?
True, true...
Thanks, it looks like there's hope for me after all =P

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
AI, would you happen to know if Sefton offer vacant places for students enrolling into yr12?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)