Section I - Multiple Choice and short answers (1 Viewer)

boredatmydesk

HSC
Yeah for 8 i put a because mannix- catholic bishop didnt support conscription, they all supported in in Word War II. These are my answers:
1:c
2:d
3:c
4:d
5:b
6:d
7:b
8:a
9:a
10:c

S13WPN

HSC
Here's mine...
1. C
2. D
3. C
4. D
5. B
6. D
7. B
8. A
9. D
10. A
Dunno bout 10, i thought ecumenical meant specific groups... i hit up google and found this
"The Councils of Christians and Jews

The Victorian Branch of the CCJ was founded in Melbourne in 1985 and in Sydney in 1988. In Melbourne there is a strong ecumenical movement amongst the churches, whereas in Sydney a strong evangelical strain within some sectors of the Christian churches makes ecumenical and interfaith dialogue more difficult. Canberra has an interfaith dialogue group and a youth group, and Adelaide and Perth have Councils. The Australian Council of Christians and Jews was inaugurated in December 1991."

What do you think??

illmatic

NaS
HSC
QUESTION 8:

Which of the following best explains why many Christians in Australia supported conscription during World War I?

a) To strengthen links with Britain
b) The majority of soldiers were Christians
c) To strengthen Christian unity
d) All religious leaders supported conscription

D isnt correct. Daniel Mannix was opposed to it. conscription was opposed twice in the referendums

C isnt correct because opposition to the conscription was what caused a lot of sectarian tensions between protestants and catholics

B isnt correct

A is correct mostly because "many christians" can encompass the Protestants who DID support conscription because they wanted to show their allegience to the empire

saelma

HSC
i thought mc was pretty good - there were none that were too tricky.
i went through them with my teacher afterwards so i know that i have got 9 out of 10. i'm happy with that.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
LostAuzzie said:
These were my answers, dont know if they're right:
1. C
2. D
3. C
4. D
5. B
6. D
7. B
8. A
9. A
10. C
Correct me if you think any of these are wrong
My thoughts exactly!

I had the same answers as you for every question but number 8, for which I answered 'b' after much thinking.

boredatmydesk

HSC
I thought 10 was c cause isnt the aust council of christian and jews an inter-faith thing? ecumenical development within christianity is the working together between the differing christian denominations i.e NCCA (national council of churches in Aust) - a group where most christian denominations meet up n discuss, thus c? does anyone else agree?

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I pretty much had similar answers to everyone else:

1. C
2. D
3. C
4. D
5. B
6. D
7. B
8. A
9. A
10. C

The ones that threw me were Q6 and 8 as many people have already said.

I said A for Q8 just by process of elimination and I'm too sure about my answer of D for Q6 :confused:

johnny_87

HSC
boredatmydesk - #10 is C because A is INTER-FAITH, and the question clearly states "WITHIN CHRISTIANITY". So you and I should both be right there.

penciltron

HSC
QUESTION 8:

Which of the following best explains why many Christians in Australia supported conscription during World War I?

a) To strengthen links with Britain
b) The majority of soldiers were Christians
c) To strengthen Christian unity
d) All religious leaders supported conscription

D isnt correct. Daniel Mannix was opposed to it. conscription was opposed twice in the referendums

C isnt correct because opposition to the conscription was what caused a lot of sectarian tensions between protestants and catholics

B isnt correct

A is correct mostly because "many christians" can encompass the Protestants who DID support conscription because they wanted to show their allegience to the empire
i was just about to say that about mannix not supporting the conscription...
yeah the protestants eager to show imperial loyalty part of establishment etc.
just had a look at my notes so i def. think question 8 is D as well

question 10 ecumenism is definitely national council of churches.

i'm still confused about question 9.. is there supposed to be something about about aboriginals today that we should know?
i said importance of the land...A
but yeah..anyone?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
What did you guys put for Q11(a), the one with the quote on Aboriginal spirituality and people's connection to their birthplace? I just talked about the concepts of totem, kinship and country... :confused:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
penciltron said:
i was just about to say that about mannix not supporting the conscription...
yeah the protestants eager to show imperial loyalty part of establishment etc.
just had a look at my notes so i def. think question 8 is D as well

question 10 ecumenism is definitely national council of churches.

i'm still confused about question 9.. is there supposed to be something about about aboriginals today that we should know?
i said importance of the land...A
but yeah..anyone?
For Q9 I said A - I was tossing up between A and D, but A seemed more correct. Like you I was wondering if the "today" was significant.

HSC
personally i think that the BOS put the word the word Aborigal peoples "today" to throw everyone. Importance of land has always been central to Aboriginal spirituality. For Q6 i was tossing between B or D but put D because the churches didn't adress the causes - they only provided relief during the depression. As for Q8 i went with A. Like some other ppl said they said "many christians" not all christians.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
a lot of you seem pretty certain it was 'A' for Q 8.

for A- wasn't getting into the war in the first place enough to "strengthen links with Britain"? To me conscription is much more of a domestic issue than one of strengthening alliances. And besides, the conscription debate only really heated up post-ANZAC-gallipoli fiasco... Wasn't it at this point that Australians were quite dissapointed with Britain and her commanders for stuffing it up for Australian soldiers at Gallipoli? So they were starting to get over Britain.

I chose B and I'm yet to be entirely convinced that it doesn't explain why many christians might support conscription. Like, the idea of 'equality of sacrifice', and supporting our christian brothers at war, holding the forst at gallipoli. I've seen posters that say "Come help us keep this hill" with a picture of a bronzed Aussie in Gallipoli. And of course the majority of soldiers were christians so... I'm losing hope though, it seems like the Board wanted us to answer 'a'.

I believe both A and B are correct. Though C and D are almost definitely wrong in my opinion. The two main problems with the question are the vagueness of "many Christians", they should have given a denomination or something, and the fact that they are asking us for underlying motives that we can't know for sure and are indeed very debatable, even among historians.

Last edited:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
For Q9 I said A - I was tossing up between A and D, but A seemed more correct. Like you I was wondering if the "today" was significant.
Even if 'today' was significant, the importance of land is still central to Aboriginal spirituality today... just think of native title claims of recent times. I think we can be pretty certain the answer is A for this one, but who knows...

adambra

HSC
The answer is A. Most Christians did not support conscription. "Many" is confusing because it is not speaking of the majority. However something like 35% voted YES and these would be overwhelmingly Anglican, and supportive of links with Britain. It is the MOST correct answer.

[JOINDQ]

JOINDQ
HSC
congrats lost auzzie u got 10/10 mate, was marked by a teacher at a school i used 2 go 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)