Section I - Multiple Choice and short answers (1 Viewer)

j.c.ka

HSC
snapperhead said:
answer was D) Pentecostal Groups.

I actually thought the MC was quite easy. The only one Im umming about is #8 (the one on Christians supporting conscription.)
It will be interesting to see what the Board reckons the answer is.....
EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOU

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Dayze said:
Sorry Mate, It's wrong...the questions asked for CHRISTIAN ECUNEMICAL initiaves e.g (two or more Christian Denom's).
Yep. A is inter-faith and B and C aren't "co-operative" groups, so the only answer is C...it says so in the Macq. Revision Guide as well (and even in the syllabus from memory).

Lanz122

LostAuzzie said:
D - All Religious Leaders Supported Conscription (Have multiple choice questions here)
This is wrong because there was definite division as to whether conscription was right or wrong
ye i agree...i don't think it was D, not everyone was pro-conscription

supergirl

HSC
johnny_87 said:
LostAuzzie - The only difference I had to you was #8. I thought that since Christians were supporting the war, it included Catholics, many of whom were Irish, so they would NOT want to strengthen links with Britain. However, I think I misinterpreted the question and that A might in fact be correct.
My textbook said that the Catholics wanted a chance to prove their loyalty to the British Empire because all the Protestants had been accusing them of disloyalty.
I picked a.

To the OP - I had the same answers as you. Fingers crossed for us!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
supergirl said:
My textbook said that the Catholics wanted a chance to prove their loyalty to the British Empire because all the Protestants had been accusing them of disloyalty.
I picked a.

To the OP - I had the same answers as you. Fingers crossed for us!
your text-book is probably wrong. Manix? If the catholics had supported conscription then conscription probably would've been voted for in the 'referendum'. Either way, the question only said "many Christians" so A is probably still correct. Although to me "many" implies a majority, which is of course impossibe because the referendum was defeated/rejected. Thus the majority of Christians probably didn't support conscription regardless of strengthening ties with Britain.

Is there really something so wrong with B? The majority of soldiers were Christians, so atleast it's true. Whereas 'A' is so incredibly debatable... Ach, the whole question is so darn unhistorical, yet it's definitely supposed to be one of the "history" questions. Damn the exam writers! Then again, I am grateful for an overall good and easy exam.

I'll try and move on now.

HSC
sorry to put anyone down but im very sure that the answer to question 6 is C and not D.

only catholics in general provided services strictly for their own communities.... the majority of denominations helped out Australian society as a whole... not just other denominations but other traditions.
Think about it.... jewish people were some of the most affected by the great depression in australia.

if anybody did social welfare in this topic they may know wot im talking about. For example, the salvation army and central missions of the methodist church were major partakers in providing services to all people affected by the great depression. It never said anything about them concentrating solely on their own communities.

it seems illogical for social welfare services to only provide for their own church communities in a time of such crisis - some denominations did perhaps, but not ALL of them would have.

plus... i remember specifically reading about a protestant minister Rober Hammond who arranged loans to help people start new jobs... this applied to everyone affected by the depression, not just protestants.
Archbishop Duhig of the catholic church also had a program to put large numbers of people on the land, i.e. vocational training.

let me know ur thoughts on this... did anybody else have c instead of d?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
sweetsensations said:
sorry to put anyone down but im very sure that the answer to question 6 is C and not D.

only catholics in general provided services strictly for their own communities.... the majority of denominations helped out Australian society as a whole... not just other denominations but other traditions.
Think about it.... jewish people were some of the most affected by the great depression in australia.

if anybody did social welfare in this topic they may know wot im talking about. For example, the salvation army and central missions of the methodist church were major partakers in providing services to all people affected by the great depression. It never said anything about them concentrating solely on their own communities.

it seems illogical for social welfare services to only provide for their own church communities in a time of such crisis - some denominations did perhaps, but not ALL of them would have.

plus... i remember specifically reading about a protestant minister Rober Hammond who arranged loans to help people start new jobs... this applied to everyone affected by the depression, not just protestants.
Archbishop Duhig of the catholic church also had a program to put large numbers of people on the land, i.e. vocational training.

let me know ur thoughts on this... did anybody else have c instead of d?
you are so incredibly wrong. D is correct and everyone knows it. Would the church be giving out home-loans during the great depression? No. Has the church ever given out home-loans? I don't know but I kind of doubt it. vocational ed? possibly. individual churches did help people in their own communities- food, shelter maybe, general helping people stay alive... I'm really sure that the answer isn't C and I'm reasonably sure that the answer is D.

EDIT: "own communities" doesn't mean merely from their own denomination, it means their community i.e. people living in the same area.

HSC
u have a good point.... and i think that d could be right..... but d states:
"they provided services for members of their own communities" and this isnt right because it states that they did it only for their own communities and nobody else.....
the point of social welfare in the great depression wasnt for churches to help people strictly in their communities but to help everybody.... "support actions of governments trying to overcome great depression."
i think the home loan thing is also iffy..... but the information on Robert Hammond states "arranged loans" so thats where i got it from.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
sweetsensations said:
"they provided services for members of their own communities" and this isnt right because it states that they did it only for their own communities and nobody else.....
the point of social welfare in the great depression wasnt for churches to help people strictly in their communities but to help everybody.... "support actions of governments trying to overcome great depression."
i think the home loan thing is also iffy..... but the information on Robert Hammond states "arranged loans" so thats where i got it from.
I think the key-word is HOME-loans. I don't think many people were buying houses in the great depression, infact most poorer people were too busy getting evicted. My general knowlege (admittedly I don't have conclusive evidence) tells me that the church wasn't offering home-loans during the great depression.

"Own communitys" as I stated earlier, means the people that lived in the physical vincinity of the church. That's how I interpret it, otherwise the question would have said "own congregation" or something. What sort of help could the churches do besides in their own communities? Like, they were no doubt also feeling the economic effects of the depression, so I can't see what else they could have been doing besides helping theior own communities. And I just reckon 'A' and 'B' are definitely wrong.

Some of my friends also answered 'C' but I think the inclusion of "home-loans" in the answer was to make it very wrong (intentionally).

This is just my opinion of course, we won't really find out until the marking notes are released.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
sweetsensations said:
It actually says "They provided basic services for members of their own communities, which implies food, shelter, clothing etc., which the churches did.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
The questions in this exam are too vague...I interpreted "communities" as a physical area like you fleepbasding, however I see why some may view it as a religious community...I also considered that during the exam. Nevertheless, the HSC isn't really about the "correct" answer as such, but the "most correct" and in that instance I'd go D for Q6.

HSC
fleepbasding said:
I think the key-word is HOME-loans. I don't think many people were buying houses in the great depression, infact most poorer people were too busy getting evicted. My general knowlege (admittedly I don't have conclusive evidence) tells me that the church wasn't offering home-loans during the great depression.

"Own communitys" as I stated earlier, means the people that lived in the physical vincinity of the church. That's how I interpret it, otherwise the question would have said "own congregation" or something. What sort of help could the churches do besides in their own communities? Like, they were no doubt also feeling the economic effects of the depression, so I can't see what else they could have been doing besides helping theior own communities. And I just reckon 'A' and 'B' are definitely wrong.

Some of my friends also answered 'C' but I think the inclusion of "home-loans" in the answer was to make it very wrong (intentionally).

This is just my opinion of course, we won't really find out until the marking notes are released.
i would have to agree about that... the home loans thing is a bit weird.....
i guess thats the problem with multiple choice - theres usually more than one answer that can be right.....
the more i think about it though, D seems to sound better....
oh well.... its over and i reckon i still did pretty good!!!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
it wasnt D cos the response of christianity was mixed toward conscriptiopn in ww1. spoke to my teacher after the exam and she seeemed to support me in syaing it wasA) support for britain. shes a marker so hopefully she got it right. ahhaha
wth....read whats written before responding...what I wrote wasnt even an option for whatever question youre talking about you goose......

I actually took to 6 to be d due to th term "religious traditions" which as a basic definition = the various religions who (other than Christianity) tended to (and still do) keep to themselves in matters of "welfare". Added to that the fact the Depression really wasnt an issue as such (unlike in America and Europe) so those effected were of immigrant stock escaping teh depression so their communities looked after their own.

Again, an intersting one to see what the Board marks it as as technically all the answers are right in one form or another.....

have not scanned the entire paper yet as my scanner is stuffed....sorry to those waiting for it. Might use my camera and hope it comes out

kt1

HSC
I think that the answer to question eight is (c) to strengthen christian unity in Australia because WW1 was about fighting the germans who were largely not christian...meaning that many christians in Australia supported conscription to strengthen christian unity through fighting the lutherans!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
kt1 said:
I think that the answer to question eight is (c) to strengthen christian unity in Australia because WW1 was about fighting the germans who were largely not christian...meaning that many christians in Australia supported conscription to strengthen christian unity through fighting the lutherans!
I can only assume you're joking.

Germans were largely Christians, the majority of Germans would've been Christians.

Lutherans are a variant of christianity.

Last edited:

myrna

HSC
Q8

snapperhead said:
answer was D) Pentecostal Groups.

I actually thought the MC was quite easy. The only one Im umming about is #8 (the one on Christians supporting conscription.)
It will be interesting to see what the Board reckons the answer is.....
i think the answer for that was to support britian... no other one there made sense... wwi was all about britian ... aust soldiers were controlled by the british

i think i got 10/10 for multiple choice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)