Section 1, Part B - Short Answer (1 Viewer)

desmol

HSC
my methods were so ridiculous. I was like... BURN EVERYTHING THAT CAME IN CONTACT WITH IT. BURN IIIIIIITTTT.
Then I said it's location and transport needed to be tracked, and all those in contact with the infected horse need to be monitored.
i also mentioned finding source of contagion in Australia, and then controlling it there.
For some reason, i mentioned how Australia was isolated, so there was a lesser chance of a worldwide epidemic if australia could control it
That's all correct. It asked for "reasons" so in one point I said they had to protect the multi-million dollar industry of horse racing to preserve the economy

get_back23

HSC
Any1 did the genetics option?

What are your answers (briefly) for:
the finding of gene position using recombinant technology
impact of germ line mutation and transposons on whole organisms (does it mean we cant talk about bacteria, only like cats and humans)

thanks

Yindi

HSC
not sure, but i did the cssa ones

also, i didn't mention antibiotics for the horse q because it said "viral" and i thought that meant "virus"
OH NO.
In biology viral means, of or realting to a virus or viruses, its only it popular culture it refers to rapid 'circulation'.

Yindi

HSC
Antibiotics would have been incorrect, developing a vaccine would be correct.

Yindi

HSC
And these are the people who think "transgenics" is a process
What about that Macfarlane question? I can totally see him sitting there thinking "What can we do to ensure they're memorizing and regurgitating ALL the information?"
I'm also reasonably certain, where it said trangenics, it should have said transgenesis.

Translocation refers to the source-sink theory in the movement of materials in plants in Maintaining a Balance. Gene translocation is not covered in NSW biology so they would not ask a question on it. On top of that translocation is not regarding genes of different species but from different chromosomes in the same species.

This may be a case where they accept two answers, as you say, trangenics is not a process, however I think it will be a case of which is most right, which would be transgenics.

HSC
N/A
In biology viral means, of or realting to a virus or viruses, its only it popular culture it refers to rapid 'circulation'.
I really do hope you're right. I said that because it was a virus, it was harder to treat as you can't use antibiotics. Then I focused on prevention, as opposed to treatment.

Oh, bio. Please don't break my heart this year.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Any1 did the genetics option?

What are your answers (briefly) for:
the finding of gene position using recombinant technology
impact of germ line mutation and transposons on whole organisms (does it mean we cant talk about bacteria, only like cats and humans)

thanks
Finding gene position is using fluorescent probes and cloning them (using recombinant DNA technology) and tagging them. They bond to the single strands. When they are played under a fluorescent light, the position of the gene can be observed and recorded.

I defined germ line mutations - said how they're good/bad
then i defined transposons - said how they're good/bad
then I gave and explained an example of germ line mutations (Cystic Fibrosis)
then I gave and explained an example of transposons (Purple Maize)
Then I compared them (in terms of variation in the offspring - natural selection, frame shifting as opposed to other things... can't really remember what else, but i filled about 3 pages)

madharris

HSC
N/A
I really do hope you're right. I said that because it was a virus, it was harder to treat as you can't use antibiotics. Then I focused on prevention, as opposed to treatment.

Oh, bio. Please don't break my heart this year.
Yeah I said, isolate (and justified), vaccinate.
THen I justified the vaccination because it was a bacteria, and then i said it was hard to treat viruses....

HSC
N/A
Yeah I said, isolate (and justified), vaccinate.
THen I justified the vaccination because it was a bacteria, and then i said it was hard to treat viruses....
huh?

are you saying it's a virus, or bacteria?

and yknow what, you can't make a vaccine that fast. It takes months (probably) to make one from scratch. I just emphasised control. I did say they should kill the horses if they can't contain the illness :p (but as a last resort)

RishBonjour

HSC
oh god. I said RBC was 6 and WBC was 10. :/
thats like 5 marks from that question gone (2 for ans + 3 from scaled diagram)

hsc2012la

HSC
oh god. I said RBC was 6 and WBC was 10. :/
thats like 5 marks from that question gone (2 for ans + 3 from scaled diagram)
I think that's fine I mean there are all sorts of WBC with varying sizes so there's a range of answers for that question.

miranda94

HSC
for communication I stupidly named A B and C on the ear diagram as each of the ossicles, i'm such an IDIOT i looked at the image so many times but it never even occurred to me that they might be pointing to the tympanic membrane and oval window, blew a few easy marks there! i thought to myself...hmmm its odd that they're asking about individual bones...so annoying! but i think i still explained the whole process in part 2 so should get some marks. And I feel pretty good about the rest of the paper so fingers crossed that and my 1st ranking will get me a band 6

LJ500

HSC
1. The Dna replication relationship with evolution one: i put that mutations in the process of dna replication are what causes variation ---> variation related to natural selection
2. bread mould one: that really confused me with the amino acid in the irradiated one. I just put what i knew about the gene for the enzyme being damaged, enzyme being a protein etc. for the secondary sources one i just put respected scientific websites, journals, textbooks etc things that are reliable and valid.
3. the one on strategies to control the virus: I wrote so much for that. i said to quarantine all horses in the tournament until they were disease free, put down any infected ones (looool), widespread use of any vaccination, and the banning of any horses coming into the region

what did you guys thinnk about those questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)