School Stereotypes (1 Viewer)

dazza

Originally posted by user

in terms of school reputation, doesn't James Ruse open the biggest door

And contacts and stuff, true, you do meet a lot of people at private schools that will end up running the country (so long as the Liberals are in power anyway) So in case you ever need a favour (hey mate remember me, you still owe me 5 bucks from High school/ oh its you didn't recogise you/ well can you do me a favour, I work for a petroleum company now, can you not introduce alternative fuels for another few years or so/ sure thing, anything for you)

Besides, a lot of public schools have standards, traditions and reputations too. Selective schools anyway.
there are a few generalisations here.. obviously, not all schools are like the ones I describe here. Don't mean to offend anyone..

well.. personally, I wouldn't trade a place at a private school (depends which one) for a place at a selective school. as for JR opening the biggest door.. I don't think so. Emloyers look at more than just academic ability. a private school places more emphasis on grooming than a public one would. Private Schools also have more stringent disciplinary systems than public schools. At most selective schools there is an imbalance between academia and other aspects of school life. Private Schools seem to have a greater balance, and it is this balance which also attracts future employers. I've never been to a public school before, so my comments are based on what people (who go to selective schools) tell me. From what I'm told, the teaching systems at certain public schools are quite poor (eg. teachers not showing up to class, or even school).

Anton

HSC
Not to state the obvious (to me anyway), but if you want to focus on all this reputation hoo-ha, I think you're going to lead a fairly superficial and ultimately unfulfilling existence (hey, perhaps as a Liberal backbencher).

Anton

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate

btw, I did go to a private school at Knox for 3 years, and found there was nothing special about it at all

what school in coffs do you go to?

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate
I've finished as well (this year). Where abouts is the senior college
near yours!

hehe, we always used to bump into BDC people at KFC on cheap tuesday

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Is your school near the jetty? I know a few people there, knew alison Mitchell (who finished last year).

Hey I thought no one from Coffs were on these boards. Thought no one knew about the site lol.

Yeah, every lunch time or frees we had in school we would go to KFC for a quick feed.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Or was the school you attended the senior college on the Southern cross uni campus?

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Originally posted by dazza

there are a few generalisations here.. obviously, not all schools are like the ones I describe here. Don't mean to offend anyone..

well.. personally, I wouldn't trade a place at a private school (depends which one) for a place at a selective school. as for JR opening the biggest door.. I don't think so. Emloyers look at more than just academic ability. a private school places more emphasis on grooming than a public one would. Private Schools also have more stringent disciplinary systems than public schools. At most selective schools there is an imbalance between academia and other aspects of school life. Private Schools seem to have a greater balance, and it is this balance which also attracts future employers. I've never been to a public school before, so my comments are based on what people (who go to selective schools) tell me. From what I'm told, the teaching systems at certain public schools are quite poor (eg. teachers not showing up to class, or even school).
My also biased perspective is that some selective schools are quite strict. But I agree that some schools (James Ruse) don't teach because their students learn everything from their tutors.

But from my personal experience, my school's strict (uniform checks- line up by year in the quad while a senior teacher marches down the lines to check uniform- kinda like something in the army, girls can't wear pants, socks must be 10 to 12 cm above the shoe line, no colourful tshirts underneath shirts, instant detentions for uniform breeches) Towards the end of the year, a group of girls decided that they didn't like the school uniform and started wearing jeans instead of the skirt. Heaps of students told them off about it, complaining to the deputy principal several times etc.

The teaching system's good (ie teachers are very accessible by email, phone and are willing to help - if you ask for it)

As for balance between academia and other parts of life-they're obsessed about rugby, hockey and skiing. The P&C helped fund last years rugby team's trip to Hawaii and the US. Sure, rugby might have come somewhere in it, but it sounds more like a holiday to me! And skiiing. The lack of snow doesn't stop them going on about it.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by user

Besides, a lot of public schools have standards, traditions and reputations too. Selective schools anyway.
the problem with traditions and stuff at public schools is that you get a lot of kids who plain don't want to be at school full stop and go on with the mentality "this is a public school, you can't MAKE me participate or do anything at all" At private schools there is the threat of being thrown out, but it is extremely hard to expel a kid from a public school, and if the person was expelled they probably wouldn't care anyway, because the next closest public school has to let them in anyways........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)