School rankings (1 Viewer)

jess_1495

HSC
Does your school ranking really matter? And how do people go off previous years ranking, when you could have a strong cohort this year and the ranking completely changes? My school went from ranked 123 to ranked 450, so I don't see how a schools rank can determine ones atar estimation, I may be wrong. If I am, please fill me in. Lol

moocow920

HSC
It is theoretically possible to do well at any school despite rank and badly at any school despite rank. The main reason for estimates you need school rank is because as you can imagine, coming 10th in maths ext 1 at ruse and 10th in maths at a school ranked 400 is quite different, as the cohorts are of different quality. Of course it is true, school rankings can change from year to year, especially with lower ranked schools (the top 10 does not change hugely from year to year), but seeing as we can't predict the future, using past rankings is the best we can do despite it not being perfect.

So if someone is doing an estimate, they would look at your class ranks, schools ranks and any other information you give them and for example if you went to ruse and you were coming 1st in maths, they would know that you were a very strong contender for a state rank, and would estimate a mark in the high 90s for that subject. But if you were coming 15th in maths at a school ranked 200, they might give you a mark in the 80s or 70s because less people from that school typically get Band 6s. As a general rule estimates are harder the lower ranked the school, due to the variation in cohort from year to year

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
It's called an estimate for a reason.

D94

HSC
N/A
Those who estimate want to know your school's rank because it gives them perspective on how well your school has performed as a whole in the past. So coming 100th in James Ruse will probably get you a 98.5 ATAR, whereas coming 100th in a considerably lower ranked school most likely won't get you even a 60 ATAR. This is not to say it's impossible, but going by your school's past, chances are the same situation will happen again this year. No doubt that James Ruse kid also does well in their exams, everyone needs to do well because this also affects your moderated assessment mark.

jess_1495

HSC
Those who estimate want to know your school's rank because it gives them perspective on how well your school has performed as a whole in the past. So coming 100th in James Ruse will probably get you a 98.5 ATAR, whereas coming 100th in a considerably lower ranked school most likely won't get you even a 60 ATAR. This is not to say it's impossible, but going by your school's past, chances are the same situation will happen again this year. No doubt that James Ruse kid also does well in their exams, everyone needs to do well because this also affects your moderated assessment mark.
I just feel as though their is no way to estimate how a school is going to go, so you saying it is going to happen again this year when I clearly stated we went from 145 to 450 due to a lazy cohort is just stupid.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I just feel as though their is no way to estimate how a school is going to go, so you saying it is going to happen again this year when I clearly stated we went from 145 to 450 due to a lazy cohort is just stupid.
It seems unusual for a school to go from 145 to 450, unless your school is small. Normally, the rankings change, but not by that much. My school's ranking's been +-50 for the past few years for example.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
How much raw-estimate deviation would happen for girra. and to answer your question jess, i am sure it does affect moderately but u will be just fine since it is unfair if they estimate too much based on ranks of school

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
There is less difference between lower ranked schools.

For example:

A School ranked 150 will have approx 10% of units taken get a band 6.

For a school ranked 200, around 8% of units taken will get a band 6.

However, for james ruse (rank 1)- 69% of units taken will get a band 6.

For the 50th ranked school, 22% will get band 6s.

Hence, deviation in performance can affect ranks substantially for 150+ school rank.... 1% can mean 50-100 ranks.

However, its not actually as important as a top 50 school.

D94

HSC
N/A
Actually, the difference between 145 and 450 is not that big. A school in the 140's has 10% of totals attempts being Band 6's, whereas a school in the 450's has 2% of total attempts being Band 6's. Let's say both cohorts have 50 students, and let's say on average, each students sits 6 exams. That means a school in the 140's gets 30 Band 6's. A school in the 450's gets 6 Band 6's. If half the cohort of 50, achieves 1 extra Band 6, i.e. 25 more Band 6's, then they will jump in rankings to the 140's. It's very possible that many students are on 87, 88, 89 in their courses, but those don't affect the the ranks. They are based on the percentage of Band 6's your school receives.

(Note that those rankings are unofficial)

In theory, a school where all students achieve an ATAR of 97+ can be ranked last, since all students achieved a mark of 89 in all their subjects.

HSC
145 to 450 is quite big so in your case it would be difficult to determine ranks. See how the previous years have gone.

moocow920

HSC
Yes, there is no way to perfectly predict but facts are past results is the best people on here have, even though, as you pointed out in the case of your school, it is in no way perfect. But its the best we have. But estimates on here don't matter, if you're curious, ask for one, but it in no way actually has any effect whatsoever on your real atar so just dont stress about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)