school chaplain (1 Viewer)

topdeck

HSC
I think that if parents wanted their children to recieve spiritual advice then they would send them to a religious school. Why do school's need chaplains? why not increase funding for school counsellors for example? Our school can only afford to pay a school counsellor two days a week or something, so why not use this money to make sure that all schools get full-time advisors.

Also, is it not likely that if a school employs one of these chaplains, that parents in the local are could be put-off? I mean what if you were Islamic or Jewish and your child's school decided to employ a christian chaplian? I mean, ok you don't have to take their advice, but it means government schools could develop religious leanings, which is something that i don't think would be benefical for our school system.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
If the education system wasn't as screwed up as it is now, there'd be no need for chaplains, counsellors and all that.

-P_D

HSC
N/A
I think it's unnecessary and it'd just be a waste of money. They've got counsellors and year advisors and that sort of thing, and most schools have ISCF or similar organisations.

And, yeah, it's also promoting Christianity at the expense of other religions.

But as long as they don't enforce anything on us I'd be happy. If they did, I'd be pissed off.

mrmagoo13

HSC
N/A
Still against it.

Sucks to be still at school, don't it.

If the education system wasn't as screwed up as it is now, there'd be no need for chaplains, counsellors and all that.
Here here!

P_T for pm!!!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
This seems very unnecessary.

The amount of funding that still needs to go to real educational purposes is still lacking.

Melon4Pumpkin

HSC
personally.. i find this useless...
the money can be used for better things...
at my skool 4 sure.. its a shit hole!!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/chaplain-grant-for-all-schools/2006/10/29/1162056857670.html said:
"If parents want their children to receive spiritual guidance then they can send them to the local mosque, church, synagogue or other place or worship but taxpayers should not be asked to pay for it," Senator Nettle said.

"The proposal is discriminatory to the extent that it is Christian focused.
This statement seems right on the money - if the government wished for there to be greater emotional support among students then they would be better served putting their funding toward employing more trained counsellors. Perhaps creating specific scholarships (and other incentives) to promote degrees such as BA (Psych)/BEd so that more teachers are qualified in counselling would be a good move also.

I also question how eager the Liberal party would be for this legislation if it weren't for the funding of groups such as the Lyons.

banco55

HSC
Until fairly recently ie 1970's most counselling was done by priests/rabbis etc. I don't think there's any evidence that they were worse at it than the "pros". In a lot of parts of the world (ie the American south) a lot of counselling is still provided by religious figures.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
It isn't actually promoting Christianity at the expense of other religions, there's no evidence that it is, the government person repeatedly said that it isn't. I think the SMH gave Nettle just a little too much space in the article.

At any rate promoting Christianity at the expense of other religions isn't actually a bad thing, as its values are far superior anyway.

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah, I thought I heard about something similar on BOS before.

I still maintain that it's a long term political manoeuvre.

A secular counsellor would be a much better investment.

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
It isn't actually promoting Christianity at the expense of other religions, there's no evidence that it is, the government person repeatedly said that it isn't. I think the SMH gave Nettle just a little too much space in the article.
Fair call I think. The article says that the chaplain will be chosen by the school and also that it is voluntary. The school's don't have to have a chaplain if they don't want to.

At any rate promoting Christianity at the expense of other religions isn't actually a bad thing, as its values are far superior anyway.
Interesting call...very interesting call...

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Disgusting. Wate of money. I condemn the ALP and its influence from the Religious Right for not opposing it. I don't care what religion gets promoted it only strengthens Howard's conservative agenda where its minds are most malleable. It should be as simple as this that public education should not promote religion at all in its best interests of equality.

ALL Religion is mind control.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
as a few people have said, i support the idea of the money being better spent on a counsellor (UNLESS, you are a religious school, in which case sure spend it on a chaplain/imam/rabbi).

besides which, wtf, since when did religious folks get PAID to give guidance?

trev_2541

HSC
Why are we all being negative about this,

I personally think it's a great idea if the g'vt allows fro Jewish and Muslim chaplins (for want of a better word) into schools as well. As to all of you people that say that it will be biased toward the Christian religions of course it Goddamed will because Australia is a predominently Christian country, what would be the point of sticking a Rabbi in a school full of Caucasian Australians who have only ever had contact with Christianity. The only thing I'm worried about is us Catholics wanting a Catholic Chaplin in every School, because they won't like it if there chosen over what the Catholics beleive is the "inferior" Protestant Churches.

But hey I'm all for it

Adam

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad policy. $90m to promote religious values in what's supposed to be a secular society is stupid.

HSC
N/A
When I heard about this, I thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. The government really IS that stupid.

There are a hell of a lot of religions being followed these days, including a lack of religion (even within some catholic/anglican schools). What's the point of having a chaplain where not everyone follows the same religion? At least a counsellor can be approached by everyone.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's being introduced because it wins votes and make the population think the government's promoting "good family values".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)