school chaplain (2 Viewers)

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
My mother did. Apparently at my high school they no longer have it although they had other chaplains for Buddhists, Jews, Hindus , Muslims, etc later but it fell through because more people complained. Our principal at that time was a member of Opus Dei, supporter of John Howard and defended Alan Jones on several occasions much to the chagrin of my ultra-liberal English teacher.

Just found out they got rid of all scripture when my primary school year 5 teacher became principal and apparently he was gay. That shocked me I have grew up in an ultra-conservative area and don't know what happened to the poor guy.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Only read the first page (so forgive me if someone's already brought this up) but this is imo a political move to get christian conservatives on their side. As for the worthyness of it... How can they be any better than a counsellor?

campbellleo

Idyllic Ballina: It's enough to make you rather si
HSC
For all of those people who think this isnt a discriminatory move, think about it:

Say (blanket figure) 70 per cent of the adults of a community are christian
- Hey have a vote, christianity wins out.
- Christian minister influences children, other religions (including *gasp* atheism) have no say.

Giving an advantage to the religion in which the majority believe is still (and has always been) discrimination. The fact is, that under this legislation, Christian ministers will have almost exclusive access to children who need guidance. End of story. That IS discrimination.

And to say this is 'evening' out the funding between public and private schools shows a gross lack of knowledge. The last figure (I think in the SMH a couple of weeks ago~ sorry, no reference) was that the private schools recieved 70% of the education budget, and the public schools got 30%, while the figures are reversed for the amoun tof kids that are attending. You think that a measly 90 million to fund Christian ministers in anyway addresses this imbalance? You've gotta be kidding me.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
was that the private schools recieved 70% of the education budget, and the public schools got 30%, while the figures are reversed for the amoun tof kids that are attending.
What you have to realise, with these figures is:

- Some include private contributions.
- Some include only state funds.
- Some include only federal funds.
- Some include both state and federal.

You want one that includes both state and federal, minus private contributions imo to wage a fair education debate.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
I still think its a cop out that this government seems to want to give heaps of money to censors and this new scheme while still being Thatcherites meanin less money is spent on health and other things that are more important.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
A lot of private vs public figures don't take into account public teacher salaries either, because they're funded by a different department iirc.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Only read the first page (so forgive me if someone's already brought this up) but this is imo a political move to get christian conservatives on their side. As for the worthyness of it... How can they be any better than a counsellor?
AS i understand counsellor get paid heaps rite? compared to teachers and all they do sit around and have a chat to students.

bludgers.

anyway, i wouldnt say its a waste of money - i am sure some schools have already got chaplains and they would have extra 20k to spend on hopefully something useful.

But think of the schools who dont have chaplains. I mean your getting 20k, but you will paying all of that towards hiring the chaplain. And what is the average salary of chaplain i am sure it must be more than 20k per year. So essentially there will be an additional expense.

so, if the school already has a chaplain - gud for them, if a school doesnt - no change.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah but this money comes out of taxpayer funds which could have been spent elsewhere.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
Yeah but this money comes out of taxpayer funds which could have been spent elsewhere.
in my opinion doesnt matter where it comes from. i argued this before, we pay for heap of stuff indirectly anyway.

you pay 20k to the school, the school distributes that 20k accordingly - they will spend it one someone or some goods, whoever gets those goods, or gets paid gets the money, and then they spend it on something.. etc. finally you will get ur portion back through income or work which you have done.

But yeah - whats worse here in this situation is the waste of resources. Especially time going into thinking this idea instead other ideas could have been developed. with money u can always get it back - but you cant get back time.

HSC
HotShot said:
AS i understand counsellor get paid heaps rite? compared to teachers and all they do sit around and have a chat to students.

bludgers.
Yeah paid heaps- wtf? Where did you get that idea LOL.

And a counsellor's job is more complex than 'sit around and have a chat to students'....which is exactly what a chaplain would be doing come to think of it...I mean, they're priests, not part of the school hierachy...I wish my school had a chaplain...I would be there everyday telling him every sinful thing I could think of just to see how he would react...and that's another thing, isn't a chaplain automatically a 'he'...what if you are having girl troubles and you don't want to talk to a man?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
Yeah paid heaps- wtf? Where did you get that idea LOL.

And a counsellor's job is more complex than 'sit around and have a chat to students'....which is exactly what a chaplain would be doing come to think of it...I mean, they're priests, not part of the school hierachy...I wish my school had a chaplain...I would be there everyday telling him every sinful thing I could think of just to see how he would react...and that's another thing, isn't a chaplain automatically a 'he'...what if you are having girl troubles and you don't want to talk to a man?
Chaplain and counsellor are two different things rite. I mean the chaplain is not going to solve ur problems. the Chaplain is there to CREATE PROBLEMS - lol. otherwise school is too boring.

lol. sheesh girls have problems?.............................................lol.

man its school who gives a fuck.

HSC
HotShot said:
Chaplain and counsellor are two different things rite. I mean the chaplain is not going to solve ur problems. the Chaplain is there to CREATE PROBLEMS - lol. otherwise school is too boring.

lol. sheesh girls have problems?.............................................lol.
Don't troll hotshot. say something or get the fuck out of this thread.

HotShot said:
man its school who gives a fuck.
Yeah its called having principles. Sorry if thats a difficult concept for you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)