Scholarhips (1 Viewer)

Timelord09

HSC
Anyone got a scholarship from UWS?

wanted infomation on what sorts of people got a Vice Chancellor's scholarship.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Most people with uai of above 93-94, and have done some extracuricular/leadership stuff usually get it. Most of the kids in medicine have a VC's scholarship either 5 or 10k a year.

LatK7

HSC
I have an Academic scholarship, 5k per year. UAI was 85.80. Go figure. :p

Lara1986

HSC
I got a UAI of 98+ in 2004 and I got the UWS Academic Excellence Scholarship and the UWS Blacktown CIty Council Academic Scholarship.

Both are $5k per year tax free over 5 years, so $50k all up over my degree.

They are just money payments, half each semester, so you can spend it on whatever you want.

Only conditions are that for both, that I achieve a credit or higher GPA each semester and that i don't fail units. And that should i not achieve the requisite marks, that I pay back the money for that semester.

Additionally the Blacktown Council one rerquires me to stay living in the blacktown council area.

As far as the Vice Chancellor ones go - they are 'leadership' scholarships, so unless you were a school prefect/captain, involved in SRC type stuff, charity work, community work or other such work etc you're better off going for Academic based ones. The VC ones essentially have the same academic requirements as the plain academic ones so if you have the marks to get a VC one but lack the extra curriculars, you stand a fairly good chance of getting an academic one.

Don't forget too that some are uni wide, some college wide or specific in some other way and you can apply for more than one (at least you could when i applied ) :)

Timelord09

HSC
heyy thanks for the info

didn't know you could get two or that you could get one for living in an area.

LatK7

HSC
Just remembered, i also got another one, the "SmartStart Scholarship". From memory, it's for living in the UWS 'footprint', having UWS as my first preference and getting a UAI over 80.

It was a one off payment of $2000. To answer your previous question, i spend it on nothing. I just let it gain a bit of interest :p Assuming i keep my average (min of 5 GPA, currently 5.917 i think), i should have a bit over $20, 000 when i graduate.

Not bad.

LatK7

HSC
Only the Academic Excellence one. There were application forms at one of the Open/Information days, which some of the staff were telling us to fill out. I did, but wasn't expecting anything. It was a nice surprise.

Lara1986

HSC
heyy thanks for the info

didn't know you could get two or that you could get one for living in an area.

It depends on where you live - i know there's a penrith area one also for example. They are fairly hard to get in a way though because from memory they prescribed a minimum 90 UAI for them so you basically have to get the highest UAI possible to get it as that's essentially what it's based on, alike the UWS ones.

You can get two provided they are from different categories - from memory, essentially, there are two types - Donor A and Donor B. One are provided by the uni, one by external donors. So you can have one of each, but not 2 uni funded ones, for example.

Have a check through the conditions though cause thay may have changed since way back in 2004 when i applied :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)