• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Scaling issue, help fellow 09ers! (or fellow members) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuseNick

HSC
lyounamu said:
Do you think it would be wise to pick Cosmology?
I wouldn't as the school doesnt teach it. Why bother. Be harder to teach yourself.

jellybelly59

HSC
lyounamu said:
Aggregate means total scaled mark which is out of 500.

As you are already aware, 1 Unit = 50 marks (scaled marks) and 10 Units in total count towards your UAI which is 500 marks (scaled marks).

To achieve 100 UAI, you need to get about 485/500 scaled marks (which is extremely difficult).
i thought it was 480/500?...

but lyounamu crazy marks :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
FuseNick said:
I wouldn't as the school doesnt teach it. Why bother. Be harder to teach yourself.
Why not? Lol

Even Patrick Collins does it. Why not give it a try? :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Erm....yeah....scaling..... :rolleyes:
No idea what it means, no idea what affects it. I'd rather keep it like that. :p

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Erm....yeah....scaling..... :rolleyes:
No idea what it means, no idea what affects it. I'd rather keep it like that. :p
Ignorance is bliss...

richboychua

HSC
If you get your chemistry into band 6, and yoru extension 1 maths abit higher you could be looking at 99.

As for dropping chem, with trials coming up, 75% of your chem mark is still up for grabs. Which means you could still get 90+ quite easily if you dedicate sometime to understanding using first principles and doing exam practice

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
richboychua said:
If you get your chemistry into band 6, and yoru extension 1 maths abit higher you could be looking at 99.

As for dropping chem, with trials coming up, 75% of your chem mark is still up for grabs. Which means you could still get 90+ quite easily if you dedicate sometime to understanding using first principles and doing exam practice
Thanks.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
richboychua said:
Would that also apply if instead of getting band 6 in chem I got band 6 in say Physics, Economics or Japanese Cont?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Would that also apply if instead of getting band 6 in chem I got band 6 in say Physics, Economics or Japanese Cont?
Yes because the scalings are similar for all of them.

fayeee

HSC
i hate this scaling business.

and i still don't understand why the scaling for foodtech is so low

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:
i hate this scaling business.

and i still don't understand why the scaling for foodtech is so low
Generally, the calibre of students undertaking Food Technology is low in comparison to subjects like Mathematics Extension 2 or Distinction Courses. Scaling system is to make it fair for everyone who undertakes different courses. For example, getting 100 in Food Technology would be easier than getting 100 in Mathematics Extension 2 (generally). Therefore, they should not get equal marks due to that reason because we know that top kid in the Mathematics Extension 2 is of higher quality than the kid who came top in the Food Technology.

In reality, anyone who got top 10 in the state for Mathematics Extension 2 would get higher scaled mark than the one who got the top result in the state for Food Technology. Once again, that's due to the general belief (probably truth) that the people doing Mathematics Extension 2 > people doing Food Technology (academically).

fayeee

HSC
lyounamu said:
Generally, the calibre of students undertaking Food Technology is low in comparison to subjects like Mathematics Extension 2 or Distinction Courses. Scaling system is to make it fair for everyone who undertakes different courses. For example, getting 100 in Food Technology would be easier than getting 100 in Mathematics Extension 2 (generally). Therefore, they should not get equal marks due to that reason because we know that top kid in the Mathematics Extension 2 is of higher quality than the kid who came top in the Food Technology.

In reality, anyone who got top 10 in the state for Mathematics Extension 2 would get higher scaled mark than the one who got the top result in the state for Food Technology. Once again, that's due to the general belief (probably truth) that the people doing Mathematics Extension 2 > people doing Food Technology (academically).
Meh, yeah that makes sense.

Sucks though.

Completely bummed.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
Why not? Lol

Even Patrick Collins does it. Why not give it a try?
I'd give it a try. I mean, you can always drop it or the worst case scenario, you fail it. Most people don’t even get the opportunity to do a distinction course, so take it up while you have the chance. I know I want to do Philosophy and I’m gonna try and take it up, because if I do good, scales good, and if I do bad it won’t get counted because I’ll have 10 other units, which I’m sure I’ll do better in.

As for scaling... scaling = rage.
Don’t try and take up all the subjects which you think ‘scale good’, because you’ll end up dropping it. I already have and I’m still in Year 11. I got recommended to do Extension English and 2u SOR (doesn’t scale that high but yeah – Catholic Schools) and after 2 weeks, I didn’t like them so I ended up dropping them, so you’re better off doing a subject you like, then doing a subject because of its scaling.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Until you get the results :mad:
Well, apparently, my subjects scale ok-ish. So that's all I really know. :p

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aerath said:
Well, apparently, my subjects scale ok-ish. So that's all I really know. :p
All your subjects scale pretty well, except for Legal studies when compared to something like Economics. Nevertheless, you can still get a high UAI with what subjects your doing.

richboychua

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Physics and Chemistry have fairly similary scalings. However, Economics and Japanese Cont can be quite variable so to be safe, you would need a lower-mid range band 6. ie 92+

You should read the scaling pdf on the Talent 100 site.

For food tech, i highly doubt a 4 unit student will be able to get 100 in food tech . too much maths and no practical skills :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
richboychua said:
Physics and Chemistry have fairly similary scalings. However, Economics and Japanese Cont can be quite variable so to be safe, you would need a lower-mid range band 6. ie 92+

You should read the scaling pdf on the Talent 100 site.

For food tech, i highly doubt a 4 unit student will be able to get 100 in food tech . too much maths and no practical skills :)
Lol, I was just trying to make a comparison. I admit that it is a pretty ridiculous comparison. :)

-tal-

HSC
Put it this way. An 88 in most subjects will scale to 88. Higher than that, you get scaled up. Lower than that, you'll get scaled down. With your ability, I think you'll be able to do it. If you're still hesitant, test the Student Assessment Modeller (SAM) it's relatively accurate.

Statistically, the top 5 best scaling subjects are:
ext 2 maths
ext 1 maths
chemistry
ext 2 english
eng adv
(couldn't remember which one was higher, chem or ext 2 english other than that, it's in order highest to lowest)
However, I don't remember the 5 lowest scalers, but business certainly wasn't one of them. More so, I think you should go with the ones you have a natural aptitude for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)