Scaling and Senior Science? (1 Viewer)

KeiKurono

HSC
I've noticed a lot of people always say not to pick a subject because it scales badly, particularly senior science. I've been told by my year adviser and others that if you get above 90 in a subject, scaling doesn't affect you. So since it would be so easy to achieve >90 in senior science, why should scaling matter?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I've noticed a lot of people always say not to pick a subject because it scales badly, particularly senior science. I've been told by my year adviser and others that if you get above 90 in a subject, scaling doesn't affect you. So since it would be so easy to achieve >90 in senior science, why should scaling matter?
Some teachers are clueless.
http://www.matrix.edu.au/atar-calculator/
If you put your aligned mark of 90 in there, you'll see that it scales down to 69.

enoilgam

HSC
Senior Science is a pretty poor scaler, although that doesnt automatically mean that you shouldnt do it. If you dont have a high ATAR aim and just want to cruise to a decent mark, then it can be a good subject to do since it doesnt require a great deal of effort (comparatively speaking).

KeiKurono

HSC
In the case that I am aiming for a high ATAR and was able to achieve a 96 or so mark in Senior Science though would that negatively impact it?

jenslekman

HSC
Depends what you consider a high ATAR, but 96+ definitely won't "scale" you down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)