SC Marking/Results Process (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: How Does The Sc Marking Process Work?

guyrenner said:
advice in these threads is helping.

(not being sarcastic):ninja:
btw since every ones mark gets divided by 2 and has 50 added to it then just how do people fail? even if someone gets a 0 then he/she should get at least 50%. so should n't everyone then pass the school certificate? i heard that about 1% of the state fails.

hn92

HSC
this thread is making me feel alot better about myself and my maths + science mark - ha ha

bored of sc

HSC

digimonstudent said:
every ones mark gets divided by 2 and has 50 added to it
Incorrect. If that was the case then nobody would get odd numbered marks. Aligning is basically where everybody's raw marks are increased (usually) to the cut off marks decided for each band. E.g. a band 6 might be 85 raw as the cut off i.e. 90%. If that makes sense.

HSC

bored of sc said:
Incorrect. If that was the case then nobody would get odd numbered marks. Aligning is basically where everybody's raw marks are increased (usually) to the cut off marks decided for each band. E.g. a band 6 might be 85 raw as the cut off i.e. 90%. If that makes sense.
u know actually u can get an odd numbered mark that way. 94/2+50=97

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A

digimonstudent said:
u know actually u can get an odd numbered mark that way. 94/2+50=97
What boredofsc was saying that your way of dividing by 2 and adding 50 is not the way the SC mark is calculated. If they were using your way, if you got 93/2 + 50, it would be a fraction...

If you had read the posts by cem, she clarifies the way that the SC mark is calculated.

Rayskiez

HSC

TearsOfFire said:
What boredofsc was saying that your way of dividing by 2 and adding 50 is not the way the SC mark is calculated. If they were using your way, if you got 93/2 + 50, it would be a fraction...

If you had read the posts by cem, she clarifies the way that the SC mark is calculated.
someone said it was a RAW mark or something... ehhh..

bluedancing

HSC
N/A
the SC mark should not affect your future HSC marks at all! does it matter to do well or not in SC? please correct me if i am wrong.

HSC

TearsOfFire said:

yah well i was just pointing out that if that case was true then u could still achieve an odd mark. 93/2 + 50 could be rounded off to 97.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

I have never marked the SC but I have many friends who do it every year.

They tell me the process is similar to the HSC (most having done that as well) except that it is single marked meaning that only one marker reads your response and the Senior Marker check marks some work from each marker in their group each session.

As for moderating the process is exactly the same as the HSC - how I know that is that I have done the moderating for Modern History for a few years and the SC moderators (called judges) have done their training day the same day we did. We all did the same things.

The group of judges will simply look at the question, the marking guideline and the performance descriptor bands and say what they believe the cut-off mark should be on that question for each of the bands. e.g. if a question is marked out of 10 and they think that the question is easy against the marking guideline and performance descriptor band. As a result they might recommend the cut-off as follows: Band 6 = 9/10, Band 5 = 8/10, Band 4 = 6/10, Band 3 = 5/10 and Band 2 = 4/10 with anyone less than that being Band 1. They repeat that for every written response.

For Multiple Choice question they use a % of students in each band who should get the answer correct.

There are 6 of them and they do this independently. Once they have finished the process (and they do it three times) their final recommendations are added up and averaged. This will result in the final cut-off such as 80/100 raw =90/100, 64/100 = 80/100, 52/100 = 70/100, 39/100 = 60/100 and 16/100 = 50/100.

PLEASE NOTE: These numbers are purely fictional and are not to be taken as an indication of any raw marks aligned with any subject to my knowledge. Any subject to which they do apply is purely accidental.

It is very hard to get Band 1 at either SC or HSC level but it is possible and about 1% - 2% of the state in each subject will do so.

Remember that the exam is set out of 100 (except History and Geography which are actually set out of 50 each) but that 50/100 is deemed the bare minimum of achievement. When you see what gets marks at that level you will understand why they say that you virtually get 50% for writing your name on the paper (by the way don't - write your student number).
Allow me to add to this a bit.

If any of you are wondering how aligning is done then let me tell you. Imagine drawing a graph where 'x' represents your raw marks and 'y' represents your aligned marks.

Suppose the Band 6 cut off for Mathematics was 85/100. Then that means that the 85/100 would have out be aligned to 90/100. You can use the this formula to evaluate the aligned mark:

So the two points would be (x1,y1) and (x2,y2), which in this example would be (85,90) and (100,100).

The equation works out to be;

This is the line equation for Band 6. Suppose you scored 88/100 raw, then your aligned exam would be 92/100. That's what you'll be seeing in your Record of Achievemnet.

There's a separate line equation for each Band.

Kudos

HSC
If you get 50 for writing your name, then why not write your name twice so you get 100 ? =]

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
If you get 50 for writing your name, then why not write your name twice so you get 100 ? =]
As Cem has already stated you don't get 50 for writing your name. That is just a sort of an exaggeration. If you check the Standard Packages for School Certificate you'll see that students that lie on the border of Band 1/2 barely write anything in their responses. These students still manage to get about 50%. So it is virtually true that just writing your name is equivalent to achieving 50% of your marks. The School Certificate is a Standard Based test. The Standard of achieving 50% is just writing your name and a one line response.

Raahulan

HSC
N/A
What percentage of school marks in the total school certificate mark goes into the school certificate?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What percentage of school marks in the total school certificate mark goes into the school certificate?
You get two separate results for the SC.

First you get the exam mark based totally on the external exam.

Second you get a grade A, B, C, D, E based totaly on the school's internal assessment programme.

shufti

HSC
Re: Obtaining SC Results

The marking process is just the beginning and they have the HSC to do at the same time.

After all the exams are marked the aligning process has to be finished.

This is where they adjust the raw exam marks to the scaled marks that you get.

so is it true that ur mark does get scaled in sc?

shufti

HSC

Marks only get aligned up in the SC. Don't think it ever gets aligned down even in the HSC. I feel marks in computing won't be aligned...

aligned up by how ,much approximately?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

The marking process is just the beginning and they have the HSC to do at the same time.

After all the exams are marked the aligning process has to be finished.

This is where they adjust the raw exam marks to the scaled marks that you get.

so is it true that ur mark does get scaled in sc?
Scaling doesn't happen with the SC as that is done by UAC to compare subjects for the ATAR. The SC exams don't go towards ATAR so there is no need for them to be scaled. They are aligned only.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

aligned up by how ,much approximately?
This varies from year to year with each judging panel making that determination based on that year's exam etc.

shufti

HSC

This varies from year to year with each judging panel making that determination based on that year's exam etc.
say for example the highest mark in the SC is 98 and lowest 68. more then half the state gets above 75, ok and ur mark is 85 . what u expext ur mark to be "aligned" to?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

say for example the highest mark in the SC is 98 and lowest 68. more then half the state gets above 75, ok and ur mark is 85 . what u expext ur mark to be "aligned" to?
The aligning is NOT done based on statistics like this but rather on the judgement of the judging panel over how the questions, the marking guidelines and the Performance Descriptor Bands match up.

So if the judges think that 74 equals a Band 6 then over half the state will get a Band 6.

blackratpoo

HSC

cem, i remember you last year explaining this shit to the 2008 SC. do you get exhausted explaining the processes over and over.

do they have massive machines at the BOS marking centres? that record marks accurately? lol. and what software do they use for such a large amount of kids. i think its amazing how they organise and manage such a large amount of data and then record it correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)