Russian hostage crisis (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I must say when I first heard the news I was fairly angry at the Russian military as well, but to be fair.. we don't really know what happened. Putin denies that they stormed the building, without provocation anyway, so it'll be interesting to see how this develops. I wouldn't listen to everything Michael Moore says either. He's very good for bringing to attention to the uncritical audience the other side of the story, and all credit to him for doing so, but he takes the conspiracy theories a bit too far.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Back in the day when the USSR ruled with an iron fist this sort of thing didn't happen (at least in Russia and the immediate area). Terrorists were usually ruthlessly put down by the KGB. I remember watching a doco on the SBS about a Russian diplomat that was abducted by terrorists in some part of the Middle-East. Let's just say the Russians got their diplomat back and the terrorist group got the fingers of their leader back...

I'll give one thing to those Russians, they used to know how to deal with these sorts of people, now they've lost their way.

frenchie

HSC
I am reluctant to condemn either side as I fear this issue is just so complex and goes beyond anything I understand. And understanding is all I can try to do. Friends were outraged when I said well maybe we should consider why terrorists go to these lengths...in no way am I defending their actions, just trying to understand them. Seeing those children bloody and frightened beyond belief would be enough to reduce the hardest person to tears, bless my lucky stars people in this country have never know true violence or hatred.

Harming innocent children will have scared them for life, a new era of hatred will have been bred. On the other hand, some simple reading has pointed to an enormous amount of abhorrent treatment by Russia of human rights in Chechnya...from Stalin and before and beyond.

Maybe some reading to just scratch the surface on this issue. It's stating the bleeding obvious but viewing these things with a Black-n-White Them Bad. Us Good mentality means you go around in circles blaming rather than actually constructing workable futures. Anyway I am not an expert so my crappy thoughts will cease here.

Lame clichés, however:
one persons terrorist is another persons freedom fighter;
there are two sides to every coin

Someone will probably call me an idiot like in another thread I posted but I am just giving my humble opinion.

http://www.terrorismanswers.com/groups/chechens.html

http://www.ushmm.org/conscience/chechnya/chechnya.php

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2001/chechnya/

http://www.phrusa.org/research/chechnya/chech_rep.html

Last edited:

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Ziff said:
Back in the day when the USSR ruled with an iron fist this sort of thing didn't happen (at least in Russia and the immediate area). Terrorists were usually ruthlessly put down by the KGB. I remember watching a doco on the SBS about a Russian diplomat that was abducted by terrorists in some part of the Middle-East. Let's just say the Russians got their diplomat back and the terrorist group got the fingers of their leader back...

I'll give one thing to those Russians, they used to know how to deal with these sorts of people, now they've lost their way.
lol...I wish I saw that.

cayte

Well frenchie you know you're not an idiot and you have the humility to realise you don't know what's going on (something the people who accuse you of such things will sadly never attain), so in your own thoughts you will probably find the greatest wisdom. At least around here. But it is true, we just happened to see an abhorrent act where Russian children were the faces. But there are Chechn children just over the border who could just as easily have been the victims at another time. The whole situation is what is sad.

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
jim_green said:
I must say when I first heard the news I was fairly angry at the Russian military as well, but to be fair.. we don't really know what happened. Putin denies that they stormed the building, without provocation anyway, so it'll be interesting to see how this develops.
ok this is what happened. russians FSB(POLICE) didnt plan to storm the building yet.
in the gymnasium two chechen females had fight with each other, both of them killled themselves plus childrem around them. because of the explosions roof of the gym falled as well as wall in a gym.
children started to run out of the gym, other chechens started to shoot kids as they fleed the building. and then rusians stormed the school.
this is the russian version

somborac

HSC
maybe its all part of that "new world order" conspiracy where all the govermants plan to unite as 'one' and reduce worlds population by 5 billion hence all the terrorist attacks, and accidents like that fire in a shopping center where it killed heaps of people, type it in google for more info, but personaly i think thats bullcrap.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Ziff said:

man we need more of people like you around the place.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
dear god, current estimates say that 367 people dead, 155 children :MAD:

for once i agree with George W. he said that it is not reasonable to blame the russian government or military, the blame lies entirely on the terrorists.

the military had no choice in the matter

Ziff thats so true, we need some badass reds to take control again :p

CrashOveride

HSC
Tommy_Lamp said:
for once i agree with George W. he said that it is not reasonable to blame the russian government or military, the blame lies entirely on the terrorists.
Terrorists? I haven't heard them being called that so much. I've heard a lot of "hostage takers" or "Chechen rebels" ....hmmm who is supplying these rebels hmmm

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
The Military and the Russians can share part of the blame for this whole thing, and most of the other attacks that the rebels have made because there is no real possibility for a political solution to it all, so the whole thing becomes involved in conflict involving innocent citizens.

It's just the remnants of the old school russian problems coming to the fore because Russia no longer have that iron fist of rule.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
cayte said:
Well frenchie you know you're not an idiot and you have the humility to realise you don't know what's going on (something the people who accuse you of such things will sadly never attain), so in your own thoughts you will probably find the greatest wisdom.
:uhhuh: As socrates said, "True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us."

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Trimandoblydskiy pizdoproyeb...

Raiks they didn't blow the hole in the wall.
The rebels taped a bomb to the ceiling, and it fell down and exploded, and that's when people tried to escape, and that's when the troops went in.

And stupid Bush for turning this into being about his war on Terrorism. Urgh. I bet he uses this for his election campaign. Dolboy'eb...mudozvon!!
Blah. Da nu ego na khuy asDT@#!%!@

Hmmm do cyrillics work on here? да ну эго кхуй I say..

Last edited:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Lundy said:
:uhhuh: As socrates said, "True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us."
I learnt that from Bill & Ted's Excellant Adventure :D

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
yulia said:
Trimandoblydskiy pizdoproyeb...

Dolboy'eb...mudozvon!!
Blah. Da nu ego na khuy asDT@#!%!@
да ну эго кхуй I say..
bloody russians... don't even bother to take the time to learn theyselves the langige

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I was acctually kinda an accident, a bomb taped on the roof fell off and exploded. This caused the russain military to panic and attack, thus the deaths...

not sure how the roof caved in though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)