Rudd's $10.4bn cash giveaway (1 Viewer)

aussie-boy

HSC
From news.com.au:

Pensioners and carers

Australia's four million pensioners, carers, and seniors will benefit from December 8.

Single pensioners will receive a lump sum payment of $1400 while pensioner couples will receive $2100.

People receiving the carers allowance will also receive $1000 for each eligible person in their care.

First homebuyers

First homebuyers will be eligible for grants of up to $21,000 designed to stimulate housing activity.
The scheme will be time limited. All contracts entered into by June 30 next year will be eligible for the new assistance.

The payment under the first home buyers scheme will be doubled from $7000 to $14,000 and first home buyers who buy newly-constructed home will receive an extra $14,000 taking their total grant to $21,000.

The Government will invest about $1.5 billion in the housing market over 2008/09 and 2009/10 through this initiative.

Money for kids

The Government said about 3.9 million Australian children will receive a $1000 one-off benefit from December 8.

Families who receive Family Tax Benefit (A), families with children who receive the Youth Allowance, Abstudy or a benefit from the Veteran Children's Education scheme will be eligible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IHMO, this is bullshit. heres why:

assuming the economy actually requires stimulus, there are 2 ways to go about it:
-give money directly to poor people
-spend money on public services and infrastructure (eventually going to the pockets of workers anyway)

rudd has picked the first
Yes, the people who receive the money will have a higher MPC than the construction executives and teachers (=a quick growth boost)
however, over the long term, smarter people who get to work faster will promote faster and more sustainable growth anyway

Last edited:

freaksoutalot

HSC
more Rudd bullshit.

just like 3 months ago hes was going on bout these future funds, 2 minutes later SPEND SPEND SPEND.

Bring Johnny back anyday.

MissSarajevo

HSC
disgusting. I despise this government and the people who receive handouts from government, i hope they all get cancer and die a painful death. lazy bastards scums.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
LOL found a house in the country going for $24,000. First home buyer grant buys half of it for me.

HSC
Ummm...no. Not a good policy.

What happened to the whole "spend on infrastructure to improve productiviy thing". Cash handouts = inflation...

kokodamonkey

HSC
just like to point out Costello and Howard before the election made it clear in saying that once Rudd and Swan get in they'd be getting their hands into the honey jar and be unable to help themself... just a thought..

aussie-boy

HSC
i wonder if there are any guys on here who come from low income families but will turn 18 just after december 8... now that would suck

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Did you just say MPC?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
MissSarajevo said:
disgusting. I despise this government and the people who receive handouts from government, i hope they all get cancer and die a painful death. lazy bastards scums.
You're great - I shall add you as a friend.

spiny norman

HSC
Well I think it's good, both in terms of political intelligence and expedience (the two so rarely correlate too).

Oh well.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yay let's drive the price of housing up at a time when people are already defaulting on their loans. Fuck off.

EDIT: December 8 is my birthday.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why? Hey guys for no particular reason here's a bunch of money that you don't need because our financial sector is sound and your money is safe.

Hey guys

it's your CHRISTMAS PRESENT from the government!

aussie-boy

HSC
Captain Hero said:
Hahahahahhaahahahahahah oh ffs. Hahahahahaahahahahah.

Fucking idiot year 12 kids and their 'economics'.
if my economic theory is wrong, then say that and tell me how
otherwise, fuck off

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Ohhh, Free money.....YaY!

But, the first thing the parents say is "Ohh, I can now pay off the credit card". How about ME getting the money, like into MY bank account lol...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)