Romulus, My Father (1 Viewer)

sam5

HSC
what are some of the techniques in Romulus? (other than quotes)

I have found omniscent narrative voice, simple language, use of annecdotes and linear structure.

Does anyone know any more?

dekimasu

HSC
symbolism. bullshit anything as symbolism. romulus' motorbike symbolises the trust between father and son. the peppercorn tree symbolises isolation, whatever.

Kat92

HSC
'Red Gum' Symbloic of Christine's dislocation-->Suicide.
Peppercorn tree? I don't remember this what page is it from? As the places of where Romulus and Raimond lived for most of their lives were desolate and devoid of nature. e.g. Barringhup and Frogmore.

Not quite right, the "Red Gum" is more a symbol of her desolation/oppression and how she like Romulus can't become accustomed to the land. "The scraggy gum delienated against a dark blue backdrop of a sky."

Other than symbolism there is Extended discussion. This is shown on two accounts in the memoir for e.g. about Romulus’ ideas about morality and character. Romulus is engaged to marry a woman he has been writing to in Yugoslavia. Also later in Chapter 11, Romulus’ marriage to Milka and his recovery from his mental illness. A lengthy discussion by Raimond regarding his father’s character.

Negative/ Positive connotative language especially in the opening few chapters.

Written in 1st/ 3rd person narration as Gaita is concerned primarily with ideas about belonging; changing to occassionally represent his perspective.

Tone and Short- sharp sentences are also used.

boxhunter91

HSC
What you said is a reiteration of what i said 'she like romulus can't be accustomed to the land' which is her dislocation. I guess desolation suits better. But its evidently the same thing.

You should also talk about Hora. Sparking Raimond's development in identity.

Kat92

HSC
Yes, as when Raimond 1st arrives in the migrant camp he asks if there is any other Romanians. Upon learning that there is he seeks out the friendship of Hora and Mitru and befriends them. Belonging in this instance creating a sort of extended family. Hora takes upon the role of carer later in the memoir as Christina's mental illness leaves her lethargic and hinders her belonging to family and the wider community. Christina's isolation towards belonging due to her mental illness being attributed to the context of the time of when the memoir was created as mental illness was widely misunderstood amongst the people of society. The role of Hora as carer teaching Raimond basic skills in life and further developing his identity, e.g. teaching him how to swim in the nearby creek.

Last edited:

jackydoll

HSC
Don't forget the setting of the Australian outback. It makes Raimond feels that he he is an Australian kids while it makes Romulus and Christina feel isolated from the world, being away from the winterly forests of Europe. The Red Gums and Peppercorn trees would fall under this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)