Romanticism (1 Viewer)

Dora Explorer

HSC
Hey,
I was just wondering, because this area is fairly new, are there any study guides that would be helpful for it?

XFatimaX

HSC
There should be some out there.

Try this one out:

Exploring Genre and Style: Romanticism, though I don't have a clue who the author is. The best study notes. < Our teacher uses it.

wendybird

HSC
Our teacher photocopied so much theory for us - I think we had info from over 10 books on the Romantic period and I've still got literally boxes full of journal articles about other aspects of Romanticism. Your teacher may well be as well resourced - but if she isn't, then definitely be proactive and check up Romanticism at university libraries (Fisher Library at USyd) or the State Library and photocopy guides for yourself. There are not many "guides" available, but many more specific resources which would be more relevant and less generalist.

What you want is various overviews of the Romantic movement. Its historical underpinnings and its context as a post-Enlightenment/neo-Classical movement. You then need to have info about the specific paradigms of Romanticism - Scientific (onset of the Industrial Revolution), Social (Rousseau, French Revolution, liberty), Philosophical (German Idealism), and particularly Literary (other writers at the time).

You may need to research those areas individually - very few guides will cover them all in enough detail.

You should probably also research particular thinkers and theorists - such as Mary Wollstonecraft (Vindication of the Rights of Woman), Thomas Paine (Right of Man), Edmund Burke (Reflections on the French Revolution), Rousseau (Emile - childhood), and many more.

DEFINITELY get to know the specific aspects of Romantic thinking - ie. their notion of the Sublime, of the Picturesque, of Fancy. And also be very well read on Coleridge's non-fiction work (ie. Biographia Literaria/ Statesman's Manual) or Wordsworth's (Collected Works, Preface) as they're pretty critical in estblishing many tenets of Romantic poetry.

One thing all the teachers also emphasised is you be aware that the movement was in many ways contradictory and fragmentary, so keep that in mind when looking at historical issues in the Romantic period such as the slave trade, french revolution, mechanisation, conservative backlash etc.

But that's only the beginning of it! EE1 requires a very extensive knowlege of context and paradigms so defiitely do as much research as possible.

(This is a reply to your PM as well - probably more specific as I now know your elective and can advise you accordingly!)

Last edited:

Dora Explorer

HSC
Hey

That was very helpful. Thanks. I guess context is a big part of our studies.

I've written a short story for Romanticism, and is it okay if you can read over it and let me know if I'm on the right track?

Ta

wendybird

HSC
I can look over it, but let me just tell you now - the creative is one of the most difficult parts, its very contrived in that you have to have so much on "ways of thinking".

That is, your story REALLY has to encmpass the contextual stuff I advised you research - scientific/social/philosophical/literary - and usually by this early stage no short stories anyone writes will sufficiently do so.

Most ppl start preparing their short stories term 2 at the earliest - by which time you'd have some familiarity with the paradigms of romanticism.

EDIT: replied to PM :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)