Romanticism (1 Viewer)

jennieTalia

HSC
I wouldn't complain too much about romanticism! When I did Ee1 I had to do the entire bloody 19th Century!
So much research and it meant that you ended up covering about four different genres...
-.-
Not amusing. Fun times though.

jennieTalia

HSC
The entire 19th century? Sounds a bit extreme. What elective was that for?
It was the equivalent to Romanticism, except it was Individual and Society under the Texts and Ways Of Thinking module..

It was a lot of fun :). But yeah, somewhat hellish. Although... they possibly expect the romanticism people to be more specific, as our area was more broad we could possibly get away with more generalisations? Just a thought, I have no evidence for that haha.

Schoey93

HSC
Jennie, I don't know if you knew this already ... but I go to the school you went to. Are we going to be doing Romanticism because it replaced the Individual and Society? That would really suck.

jennieTalia

HSC
Jennie, I don't know if you knew this already ... but I go to the school you went to. Are we going to be doing Romanticism because it replaced the Individual and Society? That would really suck.

Hahaha I know you do.
And no, I think Mrs. Sewell wasn't keen on romanticism and so is changing to life writing?
Who are you? And year ten right?

Schoey93

HSC
Yes, I'm in Year 10... I'm looking forward to having Mrs Sewell four years in a row. :p

Who am I? Please refer to the PM I sent you. I don't really want to tell everyone who I am, although I'm sure many people on this forum already know my first name.

Life writing would be good, although I would definitely prefer "After the Bomb", as I could relate it to Modern History, but c'est la vie. Good old Mrs Sewell ... she should publish a book!

J - Schoey ... oops, almost wrote my name then!

jennieTalia

HSC
Yes, I'm in Year 10... I'm looking forward to having Mrs Sewell four years in a row. :p

Who am I? Please refer to the PM I sent you. I don't really want to tell everyone who I am, although I'm sure many people on this forum already know my first name.

Life writing would be good, although I would definitely prefer "After the Bomb", as I could relate it to Modern History, but c'est la vie. Good old Mrs Sewell ... she should publish a book!

J - Schoey ... oops, almost wrote my name then!

Hahahaha.
Mrs. Sewell is AMAZING. I asked her in ext1 why she didn't write a book, but she says she prefers to read them as she can't come up with the ideas. She says she writes poetry, but only for her own reading (I couldn't convince her to show me hahaha).
Modern History is mad, who you going to have for it?
Ancient was my baby though :D.

Hmm back to Romanticism so we don't hijack the board :p
What is the main focus of romantic texts? I'm assuming there are parallels to I&S?

Schoey93

HSC
They seem quite different actually. I haven't done Ext. Eng. yet, so I'm not really equipped to comment. But perhaps a parallel is that both "genres" focus on only one-two characters, with minimal supporting characters. I don't know.

Edit: Who am I going to have for Modern? Fenech! Well, hopefully. I had him for Year 9 History and he was the best teacher. He would give me 10/10 for bookwork when there were like 3-4 exercises missing, lol. :p

But he said to out class (9 HIST A) last year, "You'll learn about blah blah blah in Modern History, and if you do Modern History you might have me for it." I agree, Mrs Sewell is awesome. She did actually talk about publishing a book last year, but somewhat jokingly, saying that she'd write about how horrible we (9 ENG 1) were or something like that. It was such a breath of fresh air to have Mrs Sewell after having Miss Carlino for Year 8 (all boys class) English, when the class was uncontrollable. Mrs Sewell knows how to get you to shut up. I think she finds me somewhat annoying though, as I would often turn up late for class last year, especially when I was first just getting to know Porsche and we'd still talk after the bell or be mucking around with Alex/Adrian/Taco... then I'd also go off on tangents during class discussions and I was really bad with class novels, i.e. I didn't finish reading them on time or at all (they were all crap except for Shakespeare ("The Merchant of Venice"), "Raw" by Scott Monk, "King of Shadows") by Susan Cooper.

Last edited:

jennieTalia

HSC
They seem quite different actually. I haven't done Ext. Eng. yet, so I'm not really equipped to comment. But perhaps a parallel is that both "genres" focus on only one-two characters, with minimal supporting characters. I don't know.

Edit: Who am I going to have for Modern? Fenech! Well, hopefully. I had him for Year 9 History and he was the best teacher. He would give me 10/10 for bookwork when there were like 3-4 exercises missing, lol. :p

But he said to out class (9 HIST A) last year, "You'll learn about blah blah blah in Modern History, and if you do Modern History you might have me for it." I agree, Mrs Sewell is awesome. She did actually talk about publishing a book last year, but somewhat jokingly, saying that she'd write about how horrible we (9 ENG 1) were or something like that. It was such a breath of fresh air to have Mrs Sewell after having Miss Carlino for Year 8 (all boys class) English, when the class was uncontrollable. Mrs Sewell knows how to get you to shut up. I think she finds me somewhat annoying though, as I would often turn up late for class last year, especially when I was first just getting to know Porsche and we'd still talk after the bell or be mucking around with Alex/Adrian/Taco... then I'd also go off on tangents during class discussions and I was really bad with class novels, i.e. I didn't finish reading them on time or at all (they were all crap except for Shakespeare ("The Merchant of Venice"), "Raw" by Scott Monk, "King of Shadows") by Susan Cooper.
Hahahaha. Nahh, Mrs.Sewell doesn't find anyone annoying :p. I HATED King of Shadows or whatever its called, it just pissed me off. No idea why, it just irritated me. The other two were good. And I liked Taronga as well. When we did extension english we all ended up on tangents ALL THE TIME, although tbh there were only four students, which dwindled down to just two of us by the end of year 12, but we talked more in that class than any other and managed to get the better marks for it! Talking too much in larger classes is difficult for teachers I guess, because they have to be constantly checking that everyone understands and so forth, but if you are in a smaller group then it doesn't matter so much.

Hmmm I'm thinking romanticism is similar to our broader study, in that before it was totally about the I&S and now everyone seems to be focussing on that as well. I'm pretty sure the Marian kids in Ext1 aren't doing that anymore though! I remember the discussion vaguely, and we were saying that we were glad to have got to have done I&S as life writing sounds a bit dull to me (opinion only, I haven't tried it).

Ohh okay, I never had him at all. I had Miss.Gilchrist for Mod. I had Mrs. Toomey before as well, the careers advisor now? But she left at the end of year 12 on maternity leave. Both were really good, but had very different teaching styles which took me a while to ease into.
HAHA, well don't expect them to let you bludge out in senior years ;)

guff

HSC
This is really getting off the point?

I go to Blayney High. We're doing Coleridge, Keats and Wuthering Heights; and to deviate from all the literature bashing... I think they are all brilliant, Coleridge is captivating, Keats beautiful and Wuthering Heights enthrawling and powerful. While not Romantic is depicts such Romantic and awesome displays of emotion.

I've been looking at a few related texts, Burns, Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart, and i wanted to read the sorrows of young werther (Goethe)... although i'm not sure if Poe is good for the topic, 'ways of thinking.' No-one should do Frankie... because it is always a bad idea to do something that is already on the HSC, any teacher will tell you that. If anyone else has some other ideas i'd love to hear them, I wanted to read Mary Shelley's 'The Last Man,' but it's not in print anymore.

RachaelRae

HSC
As for Jane Austen, I've never read such dull literature in my life. That woman can rant on about nothingness for pages on end. Gossiping upper class women talking about trivial nonsense, like complaining how they will perish if they walk home in an inch of snow. Their lives revolve around gossip, and if there isn't much to gossip about, these women will find something. Their predicaments are always happy marriages of the same class and really, they all perform according to their gender. Perhaps I'm having a go at her because, though she may have been an intellectual, she didn't use her mental faculties for any appreciable purpose, other than to torture english students like myself, over pure folly.
Are you making reference to Northanger Abbey here? Because Austen wrote that as a satire. It is to be used for a comparison to romantic texts and is not meant to be taken literally.

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
heyyy!! who else loves Northanger?! We also did Keats poetry - which is complex but one can't deny its brilliance and appreciate it surely? And I think we have a choice to do either Possession or Wuthering (defo doing Wuthering lol). So will we have to tie all these texts together in one essay about romanticisim or what?

gella

HSC
umm we're doing the castle of otranto atm. its fucking painful to read.
and i think we do wuthering heights later

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
Haha the Castle of Otranto - sounds as if it'd be just as painful as The Mysteries of Udolpho

4thewynne

HSC
Yeah, we're doing Romanticism:
1- John Keats (bleugh)
2- Possession by A.S Byatt (double bleugh)
3- Wuthering Heights (urrrgrhhhhhhhh)

so should be good fun...

ixswans

HSC
Yup same. Coleridge, Wuthering Heights and Northanger Abbey.

I don't get Kubla Khan..

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
My teacher seems to think that if something was written after the Romantic period it isn't romantic? I understand there wasn't anything real romantic until the era started, but gothic and romantic connotations still exist in texts today?

I lost two marks in my creative writing exam, and he said the reason was for not using the language that was used in the Romantic period, as my characters weren't all like "Oh good day sir blah blah would you like a spot of tea?" I think it's entirely unfair.

Has anyone picked a related text that wasn't from that time period?
My teacher is a moron :( and he made us do representations of love in advanced...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)