congratulations ^_^
huh? :worried:

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
didn't you get a speech night prize?

(i go to your school)

sixfingers

No Luigi I am not stalking you. You know how I always have an opinion to throw in about music......

I have a problem with these so called "punk" people who believe if you like punk you can't like anything else. You can't like successful bands and you can't like anything on mainstream television/radio. I think you lot are showing your ignorance about the movement itself - it was about freedom, breaking out of expectations and so forth and by subscribing to the stereotypical anti-everything punk image you are adhering to a new set of expectations that have developed out of the movement. Why do we have to pick one type of music and swear life-long allegiance to it and no other? What does it matter if the music only has three chords and a deadshit singer? If it makes you feel good then listen to it, if it doesn't, don't.

That, of course is not all punk is about....

What about old music? Sure you can't see them play live but with the internet you have access to so much and its amazing what great stuff is out there that would be awful if it was just left to rot.

sixfingers

And if you want to rock....try the Pixies, they are insane.
Nirvana was supposed to have started as a Pixies tribute band and no-one can deny the effect Nirvana had on the growing alternative (grrr I hate that word) music world.

punkasskid10

i would just like to comment that the vines are not overrated!

it's good to see a local band like the vines good reps coz they r a really good band

i reckon the only ppl that were good at the arias were the vines, silverchair and motoace. it was good to see silverchair perform live again but they only did like one song! i wanted them to play like a while set. break free went off! i'd just wish that i was there!

HSC
I personally think the Vines are extremely overrated.

The songs while catchy, are quite basic and get boring quick, because there is no depth. The "singer" isn't much of a singer, he's "raw" but rather poor at singing...

And they aren't particularly original or interesting. I hate this whole back to retro rock crap, its like they ran out of ideas, so now they'll use ideas that were done 20+ years ago (e.g. The Strokes, White Stripes and the Hives etc.)

Although "Get Free" is a fun song to play on the guitar, and to yell off key to....

sixfingers

the only reason the vines seem overrated is because aussie bands never do well overseas - they are getting the recognition that more of our bands also deserve

HSC
Originally posted by sixfingers
the only reason the vines seem overrated is because aussie bands never do well overseas - they are getting the recognition that more of our bands also deserve
Point taken, but they're aren't even world class material IMHO.

I personally don't think there are many worthwhile bands here....

Except george (who are awesome), powderfinger, Something for Kate and a few more.....

sixfingers

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

Point taken, but they're aren't even world class material IMHO.

I personally don't think there are many worthwhile bands here....

Except george (who are awesome), powderfinger, Something for Kate and a few more.....
I suppose there really isn't much here.....
the thing is....who can say what is world class material - the brits seems to think the vines are.

What I mean is that I don't think they neccessarily deserve to be singled out but for some reason the rest of the world has decided to like them, and thats pretty good for an aussie band so lets not give them too hard a time.

HSC

the thing is....who can say what is world class material - the brits seems to think the vines are.

What I mean is that I don't think they neccessarily deserve to be singled out but for some reason the rest of the world has decided to like them, and thats pretty good for an aussie band so lets not give them too hard a time.
hrmm.. point taken again...

I think alot of bands/artists aren't world class material, that are popular/famous, so The Vines aren't really the only ones.... its just that they got mentioned here that I decided to make a comment...

dissonance

yeah, eventhough the Vines are Australian and from even recorded their demo in the same studio that my band recorded ours I don't see anything Australian about them at all -- they might be Australian but they were created into the sensation they are overseas and practically by-passed the Australian music scene.

Its like they went global before they were even domestic...if you get my drift.

I don't think there is anything partcularly wrong with this, but basically I'm trying to say that I would think they were overrated no matter what country they came from...

they have a catchy song and a great, timely image.

ben

Originally posted by luigi_000
didn't you get a speech night prize?

(i go to your school)
Really! Who are you lol?
You post a hella lot of posts on here - that's all I know.

Yeah, I got a distinction prize - I can 13th or 14th or something, not 2nd or 3rd!

GJ_JOE

blood brother
i saw the vines play at fox studios....not my favourite band but still impressive

what i can't stop listening to at the moment: glassjaw & MuDvAyNe

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC

i agree, good on an aussie band for making it big, but the british music press seems to hand out the "best band ever" title twice a week.

STiKMAN

vines

"i saw the vines play at fox studios....not my favourite band but still impressive"

awww...man, i'm gonna cry ;)

GJ_JOE

blood brother
Re: vines

Originally posted by STiKMAN
"i saw the vines play at fox studios....not my favourite band but still impressive"

awww...man, i'm gonna cry ;)
i've only heard 2-3 songs:D

STiKMAN

thats no excuse!!

...then again, i havent heard any glassjaw...but I'm scared...:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)