Rock Music! (1 Viewer)

punkasskid10

anyone into rock and alternative music? it seems that everyone is into rap and R&B these days, these no more punks left! so those that are still into rock and punk, give us a YAY! and say NO to all that other crap music!

my fav bands include
goodcharlotte, blink 182, linkin park, limp bizkit, new found glory, bodyjar, jimmy eats world, korn and many others

we should start restart the rock process and get more ppl into rock and punk instead of that other music!!!!! :D

i like alternative music not coz it's popular coz it's not popular at all if u see how much ppl is in all other music. i like alt music coz it's of the idiology it is based on for example freedom of speech, rebellion etc. one criticism i have of all rock bands is their reputation of becoming commerical and i hate that. for example linkin park, i started listening to them when they weren't even realised or played on the radio. so don't want alt music to become popular because that is what makes it unique unlike the other music types such as pop and rap that have based it's music on money.

Last edited:

mausolus

Rock is dead my friend. It died a long time ago.

R.I.P.

They are trying to buy respectability
for a form that is gloriously and
righteously dumb! And you're smart enough to
know that. And the day it ceases to
be dumb is the day it ceases to be
real. Right? And then it will just
Become an Industry of Cool.

And that's what they want! And it's
happening right now. I'm telling you,
you're coming along at a very dangerous
time for rock and roll. The war is
over. They won. 99% of what passes
for rock now is much more
compelling. It's over.

Last edited:

ben

Linkin Park? Limp Bizkit? Blink 192? Korn?

I hate most of this rap/r&b stuff too - but those pop artists you like suck more! :p

For example, the over-the-top lyrics of "Points of Authority" or whatever that linkin park song is make me want to spew they are so pathetic. But I shouldn't complain - Nelly and Ja Rule are equally irriating.

:D Oops - I've probably created a few ememies on this board now...

HSC
Originally posted by ben
Linkin Park? Limp Bizkit? Blink 182? Korn?

I hate most of this rap/r&b stuff too - but those pop artists you like suck more! :p

For example, the over-the-top lyrics of "Points of Authority" or whatever that linkin park song is make me want to spew they are so pathetic. But I shouldn't complain - Nelly and Ja Rule are equally irriating.

:D Oops - I've probably created a few ememies on this board now...
I'll second what he said.

Rock at the moment, just like most pop music, is just very dire and uninspired these last years...

Punk, along with dance music, is the most derivative genre ever. Throw in three power chords, a bass player that plays the octaves of the power chords, a simplistic drum beat and an uninspired singer (I use the word singer loosely), and you have punk...

And Punkasskid, its very narrow minded to say that everyone should listen to just rock. Believe it or not people have DIFFERENT tastes in music.

I like Alternative, Post-Rock, Electronica, Indie and Ambient music, but you don't see me saying everyone should listen to what I listen to. Its just plain stupid.

Last edited:

Sanchez#1

It seems all punk artists care about is singing about how they were losers in school, and still continue to be losers.

Then they fashion themselves in hairstyles that look like they left a grenade in their hat, and take a poor attempt at the "we don't want to conform" image. Despite the fact that they all conform to the "punk" label.

I am dissing punk, because like pop it's de-generated into an image sensation. Where they only sell because of their message that society blows.

The only rock/alternative/punk artists I respect are Rage against the Machine, and Regurgitator.

"Rock is dead my friend. It died a long time ago. "

I feel, not only rock is dead, but music in general has died. anything that comes out these days tends to jump into one of the following categories:
1. A black rapper rapping about how he raps with his assorted black rapper posse' and co.
2. Some pop star picked up from a gameshow that teaches 10 year old girls how to dance. Doing a cover of a cover, and still managing to make it sound twinkly and annoying.
3. A group of guys holding guitars
4. A dance song made by the "Insta-Create-your-Own-Dance-Track-2000"

Fine print: I loathe what music has become :mad:

Ok I'm done ranting.....

kyoto

Rock and roll in english is such a derivative genre.

they are trying to be all different and not follow popular music.

but if these artists were not popular, how would you are hearing their music?

They are only singing about how shit their own lives are.

it is poor.

english rock does not rock.

Sanchez this is first and only time jin EVER agree with you.

KEkeKekKEkE~

dissonance

hmmm, to have a good punk band you need a shit hot drummer.

Thats it really...Blink 182 have some catchy melodies and a kick-arse drummer, and you don't need more than that for punk nowdays.

Yeah, music in general is dead...only if you don't bother looking for it!! Damn, there are so many good music acts out there that arn't gunna be in the top 50. Record companies keep shoving people all this music because they know people are going to buy it. Who says the best product necessarily sells the most?

Record companies also have a formula that you all know about but I'm sure we all forget it sometimes. They look for a single. The single has to have all the features they are looking for - otherwise its too risky to invest money into it. Just because a band has a formulaic pop song for a single doesn't mean that they can't do more than that. How many times have you heard people say stuff like "I love that band, but I'm not really a big fan of their single" or "urgh, the single's the worst song on the album".

Take the time, look around try out genres that might not be in the top 10 lists. Just cause the music isn't on the radio doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

btw, I'm sure I haven't made a foolproof argument here...its just my opinion on why music is the way it is today.

F.O.B.

Originally posted by punkasskid10
anyone into rock and alternative music? it seems that everyone is into rap and R&B these days, these no more punks left! so those that are still into rock and punk, give us a YAY! and say NO to all that other crap music!
I find it amusing how much support this guy's getting

SkAnDi

HSC
I am sorry you are wrong.

I do not feel i need no justification for my statement.

Sanity is not Statistical.

I'm sure if you look through my musical collection, you would not have heard 80% of the artists.

Not all music is based around being "popular".

Sure it's the bands that can appeal to the vast majority of people, espcially the demographic that are the avid singles/album buyers. That's why the music of formula bands, and manufactured bands are so prolific in popular society, because it's "THAT" music that is prepackaged into a box and sold.

Perhaps you should turn off your radio, and go out searching for some music on the internet. I can't remember the last time i turned on the radio and listened to one station for more than 5 minutes. Too much SHITE music out there that appeals to the majority of people, but not to me.

Try Triple J if you really cannot stand not listening to the radio, they have a fuckload of up and coming bands.

If people will buy it, then it'll sell. Think of the average person, then try to realise that half of society are less intelligent then the average person. Wonderful bell curve isn't it.

EDIT:

Incidentally, to answer the original poster;

goodcharlotte - No
blink 182 - Their old stuff, their new stuff is kinda aimed at a different demographic theese days
linkin park - No
limp bizkit - No
new found glory - No
bodyjar - Saw them at homebake, *shrugs* Haven't really heard any of their new recent stuff
jimmy eats world - yes, JEW will own the world ;)
korn - No.

Punk and Rock are still huge, check out your local Drum media or Revolver or something, there's a FUCKLOAD of bands out there. Go see some live acts. Live music always seems to be better for some reason, the atmosphere ++

Last edited:

Alex

Classical Music is definitely the best music. If I want to dance I will dance to anything regardless of how good it is, it depends on my mood. But if I want to sit down and take it easy there is nothing better than a little Schubert to calm the nerves......

Laugh at your own will but history will laugh at you...

HSC
Originally posted by Alex
Classical Music is definitely the best music. If I want to dance I will dance to anything regardless of how good it is, it depends on my mood. But if I want to sit down and take it easy there is nothing better than a little Schubert to calm the nerves......

Laugh at your own will but history will laugh at you...
Yazbeck... didn't know you were so passionate about classical :)
Thought you were just a dance nut...

HSC
Originally posted by SkAnDi
I am sorry you are wrong.

I do not feel i need no justification for my statement.

Sanity is not Statistical.

I'm sure if you look through my musical collection, you would not have heard 80% of the artists.

Not all music is based around being "popular".

Sure it's the bands that can appeal to the vast majority of people, espcially the demographic that are the avid singles/album buyers. That's why the music of formula bands, and manufactured bands are so prolific in popular society, because it's "THAT" music that is prepackaged into a box and sold.

Perhaps you should turn off your radio, and go out searching for some music on the internet. I can't remember the last time i turned on the radio and listened to one station for more than 5 minutes. Too much SHITE music out there that appeals to the majority of people, but not to me.

Try Triple J if you really cannot stand not listening to the radio, they have a fuckload of up and coming bands.

I agree with what you said...

Triple J is the only station I can ever listen to (on occassion Triple M, but theres too much godawful creed, POD and linkin park), it has the most variety and plays underground stuff sometimes as well. Which other station plays everything from rap and hip hop to death/black metal?

And about finding music on the Internet, I agree as well. I have found SO MANY different artists on the Internet and from discussing with other people on msg boards. I discover stuff like Autechre, Aphex Twin, Sigur Ros, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Gomez, Boards of Canada and heaps of others....

Sanchez#1

Well to me music was at it's peak during the jazz phase. Have you ever heard a BeBop solo? Or a Smooth Jazz arrangement trading fours? The level of talent required to improvise and solo in jazz, has never been paralleled in music (at least in my opinion)
Particularly artists like:
Grant Green - innovator in guitar, played it like a horn, avoided chords almost entirely
Ray Charles, Genius + Soul = Jazz
Lou Donaldson - perfect bop on sax
Art Blakey - Moanin anyone?

I guess my ranting generalised too much. Mainstream music these days is absolute rubbish. But there is some good undergound stuff that i feel deserves much more popularity.

I just recently got these two albums:
Dimtri from Paris - Night at the Playboy Mansion
- After the Playboy Mansion
(no theres no specific pictures or videos included in case you're wondering)
Awesome 80's funk - if you ever pass by "Beatdisc" at Parramatta i ORDER you to buy both albums very very good stuff.

As for radio stations, I can't stand most of them. Theres a cool jazz one on my preset, but it only plays jazz on weekends. On weekdays it airs Turkish news.

HSC
Originally posted by kyoto
Rock and roll in english is such a derivative genre.

they are trying to be all different and not follow popular music.

but if these artists were not popular, how would you are hearing their music?

They are only singing about how shit their own lives are.

it is poor.

english rock does not rock.

Sanchez this is first and only time jin EVER agree with you.

KEkeKekKEkE~
When you say English rock do you mean Rock music from england or music that has English lyrics? Cos I can guarantee you, not all English rock bands are crap. Radiohead, Muse and Coldplay are some good examples.

ben

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

When you say English rock do you mean Rock music from england or music that has English lyrics? Cos I can guarantee you, not all English rock bands are crap. Radiohead, Muse and Coldplay are some good examples.
Yes I agree: Radiohead, Muse and Coldplay are good examples of crap English bands. :p

SkAnDi

HSC
Jazz?

Hrm i don't have much.

Artists i have

Miles Davis
John Coltrane (SOOOOUUULLLLLTRANE ahh the pun)
Thelonious Monk
Ken Burns
Dave Brubeck
Oscar Peterson
Louis Armstrong

All on like 4-5 cds of MP3s or so.

They make for some easy listening.

Night at the Playboy mansion is excellent listening.

For some of that Union Jack rock-persuasion

Coldplay
Travis
Manic Street Preachers
Doves
Turin Brakes

I'm not allowed to download anymore music :( 300 meg left for this month :eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW! Anyone listened to the new cold play album "A Rush of Blood To The Head" ? I downloaded it about a month ago...it *shrugs* has it moments. I haven't given it that much of a listening yet though!

Last edited:
HSC
Originally posted by SkAnDi
Jazz?

Hrm i don't have much.

Artists i have

Miles Davis
John Coltrane (SOOOOUUULLLLLTRANE ahh the pun)
Thelonious Monk
Ken Burns
Dave Brubeck
Oscar Peterson
Louis Armstrong

All on like 4-5 cds of MP3s or so.

They make for some easy listening.

Night at the Playboy mansion is excellent listening.
Miles Davis was supposedly a bit of an influence on my favourite band (Radiohead), can you recommend some tracks and an album from him?

ben

Anyone like ska?
Get "Total Hate" by Sublime and No Doubt... best song!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)