RFTG lecture notes [David Eldridge] (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
i went to a lecture last yr, which was by david eldridge, the guy who created this module.
here is some of the things we went through.

life4_rent

*adds 'assassinate david eldridge' to her list of things to do afta the hsc* lol... JKING!! :D

thanx much much!! *hugz*

-maggie xox

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Rahul.....

*Hydra salutes*

**Oh so humbled by the height of ur awesomeness**

THANK U!!!!!

:D

HSC
N/A
This is really interesting seeing other people's reactions to Mr Eldridge. He's my english teacher... :S lol.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Any good as a teacher?

HSC
N/A
He's not bad actually.

Pros: Really really knows his stuff, provides us with heaps of supplementary material, is a Senior HSC Marker so knows what the markers want to see, and makes us do all this hard stuff- it's good stuff, but very difficult at times. Runs classes very much like a university lecture, which means we can just pipe up whenever we want to, also is open to chat at any times (this includes email) so we can get his help at any time.

Also, apparently we do all this stuff other schools don't. i'm not sure where this came from? He tells us we do english at a level far higher than the rest of the state, but he also claims to have an IQ of 190 so hmm... :S lol (he later denied this, but sure sure... lol)

However he can be very, very intimidating and isn't really all that approachable (big scary head english teacher aura), however this is 'balanced' by fact he has a daughter our age (like, same grade and everything) and he has random spiels about "Baboons" and has tendancies to slam his hand down on the desk when we're talking too loudly or something. Quite an eccentric person, balances with the equally eccentric maths head teacher at the school...oh, and we get quite a lot of funny stories about his childhood growing up in South Africa.

Also, some concerns about what we do- at the start of Yr 11 we are thrown head-first into the deep end with Post-Modernism, Marxism, techniques, meta-fiction, fragmentation etc etc etc. Yr 12 is expanded up all of this and somewhere you really start thinking that "None of these readings/views/theories have been proved and are just theory- we don't really know what we're talking about but do we get good marks simply because we sound like we know all this stuff but in reality, we don't?!?!" Don't know how true this is, I sort of get it sometimes but on the other hand I really don't, but have to make sure I sound like I do to get a decent mark.

Oh yes and add this reading to your list- "Narratological Reading", soon to be known as the "David Eldrige Reading". lol. But hey, he fed us hot cross buns last early morning eng ext lesson se he can't be that bad... :)

Best wishes!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Hold on a minute... I just read somewhere that he wrote the Retreat From the Global module. Did he? If he did.... grr, I want to assassinate him too, only he would think of something like that...

Last edited:

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Originally posted by Komaticom
It's not advisable to type such things. You might end up in later years picking off toddlers with a sniper rifle, which is a bad bad thing.
Not talking from experience are we....:rolleyes:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Originally posted by glitterfairy
This is really interesting seeing other people's reactions to Mr Eldridge. He's my english teacher... :S lol.
Originally posted by glitterfairy
Hold on a minute... I just read somewhere that he wrote the Retreat From the Global module. Did he? If he did.... grr, I want to assassinate him too, only he would think of something like that...
hang on..... if you write the module, aren't you not allowed to teach year 12 for that year? or is that just writing the exam papers?

HSC
N/A
Hey uju,

I have no idea. He really is my english teacher, and eng ext 1 teacher, but until I came onto this site i had no idea that he wrote the module- like, he gloats over the fact he knows heaps about it but meh, it's a hard module, we need all the teachers we can get...

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Grr... DO you have a bust-a-cap-able toddler by any chance?

hahaha.....yeah...sure.....wait - I left it in the pocket of my other pants :rolleyes:

Just wondering has this bin a problem long??

:chainsaw:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
hi glitterfairy.

thats cool, i just thought you couldn't teach it if you made it, but i was wrong, that was in reference to the exam papers themselves

i replied to a thread of yours on lost salt, i don't know if you saw it or if it was helpful

see ya! :)

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Private organs don't count as an independent entity.

I'm not a physcopath, if that's what you mean. Reword you question in the future.
Firstly, that was not a sexual reference....

Secondly, so I missed a coma?! Who made you an officer of the language Police?

:rolleyes: :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)