Retreat From The Global (1 Viewer)

devi

well, i'd say that the shipping new is pretty traditional in its sructure... linear narrative, chapters... maybe you could talk about that as stepping away from the whole post-modern buzz of globalisation? and similarly, the castle is shot and edited very simply, and intentionally messily. like the editing is very rough, with black spaces in between shots, that you would never see in a big budget film. In that way its' form is again, removing itself from the "global"...

for heaney i'm not really sure... because i dont really understand him at all...

*10#

i have the same prob i think ill end up doin a huge intro where i discuss theories etc and then try to integrate that ar gument into my body paragraphs and then of course u have technique to talk about which brings me to a question

ideas Vs technique

should u sideline ur discussion of technique in favour of elaborating on ur ideas and the ways of thinking in the module????

i really am scared

devi

technically, in a perfect world, you should be able to synthesise both... HOWEVER, i do realise the impossibility of this... i would focus on your ideas, but keep them close knit with the text rather than rambling on about the big-picture of global vs. local... hopefully, some of your ideas will stem from techniques...

make sure you incorporate some techniques, because it is a requirement of the course... but its more important to convey that you understand the "ways of thinking" than it is to show them you now how to analyse a text...

hope that made sense...

[mariane]

is dere a place in this website where u can see past questions for ext 1 hsc?? like i can find sample essays n stuff, but the real past qns deres onli a lil? n yeh.. hey i wanna kno if its certain deres gonna b a creative part in the exam? cos normal english caught me by surprise wif the creative bit... n yeh.. is it like FULL certain derse gonna b a creative section in ext 1? thankz pplz *peace*
-[mariane]

devi

yes, there is creative section... it could still be related to the texts, but there will be some creative writing...

i sure hope you don't spell like that in your exam because it's barely comprehendable...

devi

hmm... fuck you much? my brain is tired ok.... shut up. it might not be a word but at least i can spell.

for_your_sake

nah it's cool,
seeing all these people voicing their opinions and showing their lack of idea is really reassuring.

devi

hmm... i have plenty of ideas they just arent formed into any coherent structure.

Alli

does anyone say anything about postcolonialism? i mean, australia for the castle and canada for the shippingnews were all colonies, and heaney writes about struggles with ireland etc and edward said thinks globalisation is a different type of imperialism but i kind of cant thread it together and i dunno, if its not major would rather kind of steer clear...help?

devi

i would touch post-colonialism, unless you are clear on what you're doing with it... if you get it, and its part of your thesis, then you will sound like a genious, but if you're going to bumble about it and not do it well, i'd say steer clear.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Erm, no...you should address post-colonialism in Heaney because the global influences addressed in the poems concern colonialism. The context Heaney writes in is a post colonial era, full of sectarian violence and what not. Heaney draws comparisons between past and present events to make a statement about Irish culture with relation to what the global has done to it.

Sorry, I'm being extremely vague and I know hardly anyone is going to read my ramblings since it's past 23.00 and our exam starts in another 10.5 hours (or so)

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
heya,

i've just started RFTG.
I'm doin the castle, The shipping News, Seamus Heaney poems and somethin else i 4got.
Any help would be GR8.

Concerning Chipz comment:
"hey did you read with the ideas have legs and good composers run with them question? wtf after i'd laughed for a hour i still wouldnt be able to answer it"

I got that Q 4 prelim - no words can express how stupid that question was and how bad we all sucked at it.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Wow, your school is doing nearly all the texts then? (i assume your other text of study is The Bone people)

You're actually only required to do 3 and I did the 3 texts you mentioned. They're very good, I suggest you use The Shipping news for your creative task - it's got such a rich storyline with a lot of useful details that work well into the course requirements.

The other two I used in my essay, along with the movie "Once were warriors" and the article "Think Globally Act Locally" (available on the net). I found them very useful and it got me the mark I wanted.

= Jennifer =

HSC
our school is doing nothing with the shipping news only the bone people, seamus heaney and the castle

does this matter?

i watched once we were warriors that is a good movie

Rahul

Dead Member
no it doesnt.

our school did only 3 texts. and for the hsc i only prepared for 2.

looking at past hsc questions, that was all i needed.

ashwin

Creator
HSC
what mark did u get in the hsc for ext eng Rahul?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)