Retreat From The Global (1 Viewer)

cakes

hi
HSC
Originally posted by fashionista
Has anyone found any good related texts for this elective?

any poem by Les Murray is good, he really engages with postcolonialism, and critiques capitalism, modernity, etc

i used a film called "Bagdad Cafe", it was good because there were lots and lots of film techniques to show ideas, it was very complex and the ideas are very original, so it gives you interesting things to talk about in relation to this elective.

The Mosquito Coast is another good text to use for RFTG (both the book and the movie). The main RFTG ideas are very obvious but you have to really look into it so you can produce something sophisticated.

[cpt ans]

this is to foxy:

im from sefton high school and were one of the 194 students in the state doing retreat from the global! thats rite, only 194!!!

neway, im doing the same things as u:

seamus heaney *screams and rips poems in half*

the shipping news (does ne1 really care for this book)

the castle (havent started it yet *sighs*)

and to tell you the truth, its all crap!!! who even made up this stupid module?!

neway i was wondering if u had any related material 2? can we talk on msn and exchange notes?

good luk on ur hsc!

rgds,
cpt ans

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hehe, we are watching Once were Warriors in class. Teacher said its a good idea to use it, i was sceptical. But now that such esteemed and highly smart people ( :p ;) ) have said its a good text, i'll be sure to use it. :D

btw, we haven't finished watching it. Just after the bit where they bury (or whatever they do) Gracy.
Anything I should look for? Cause I haven't made any notes. damnit.

*rikku*

i need help....:(

can some1 plz help me with RFTG???? does any1 know any related text for this module??? i really need it....Plz tell me if you do!!! ( not shippingnews, the castle or the bone people, not perscribed texts!!!!) >_<!

thanks a million

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
oooh, i only just came into this forum. Iv been spending all my time in the extension two one, lol. its great that there's a whole thread on RFTG, what a relief. I thought id get in here and everyone would be doing Spec. Fic.

Im doing the Castle (we'v already done it), the shipping news (nearly finished) and seamus heaney (havent started yet)
i actually enjoyed the shipping news! the castle was waaay harder than i thought it would be, it was easy to over simplify issues when discussing them in assessments.
we're doing the first episode of Seachange as a related text, it should be good

life4_rent

hey.. my school is gay & chooses topics that NO OTHER BLOODY SCHOOL DOES!!

eg. wild swans for critical study [ module B ]
antony & cleopatra - powerplay [ module C ]
skrzynecki poems - area of study
retreat from the global - extension I

according to my wonderful english teacher :D , only 192 students out of the approx. 16500 doing ext. I did RFTG last year (2003).. apparently, it makes it harder for the markers to compare essays??

wateva.. i still reckon its gay..
:chainsaw:

we're doing shipping news, seamus heaney poems, and sea change (that old-ish abc tv show abt the lady moving into rural from her city)

i need a related text for my essay exam coming up.. any ideas? ive only got 'the castle' and that movie 'life as a house' starring kevin kline & hayden christensen (who cant act for shit! seriously)

neway, dont mean to be all negative.. just got my first assessments' results back.. SHOCKING to say the least...

hope u guys are havin more fun than me

-maggie xox

[cpt ans]

hey magz

vatch here...eng ext 1 sucks!

mag do u have a related text...ppl say that linkin park: numb is good...can ppl tell me wtas good...

fanx

-vatch

Belinda

O_o
HSC
Foxy, you from Sefton?

You know, now that I've done the HSC, RFTG is actually quite a fun idea. While during the time it wasn't very amusing, in retrospect, it was kinda funny how most of the class failed it. It was my worse subject and didn't count. A bit of a waste, but it's surprising how some of the concepts still really stick. I mean, my friends and I go to the city, and we see the global, and we go a bit retarded with "EEE! GLOBALNESS! RETREAT RETREAT!". Yes. Nerd humour.

Good Related material include:
Fight Club - Damn half the grade used this movie. Excellent move it is, heaps to analyse.
A Bug's Life - RFTG on quite a few levels.

There are heaps. Most recent movies I find, show RFTG.

The thing I really like about it, is that because it's postmodernism, you can REALLY ramble about it. There is no right or wrong, only many shades of grey (hey... that could be an argument). Because of this lack of certainty, the individual loses their sense blah blah and have to go back to their roots (local) to regain their individuality.

Belinda

O_o
HSC
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
do you really think a bug's life is a sophiticated text
^^ I certainly think it was. The thing is, don't assume the marker gives a toss about your text. It doesn't matter if it's Fight Club or Toy Story. It's about how sophisticated your ESSAY is, not your text. You can ramble incohrently about Fight Club and you'll still get cruddy marks.

Bug's Life showed RFTG on many levels. 1st, there was the obvious grasshopper vs. ants, ie, local vs global concept. 2nd, there is the global/local theme of the circus bug stuck in the hectic environment.

Not only that, it's SATIRICAL and markers love that. It might be intended for children, but it still contains very interesting concepts. It's certainly has bits of postmodernism, with the theme of no wrong or right (note how even amongst the local, that not all is well, as Flick is more or less excluded in the beginning. This could be a powerful example to prove that the local isn't all good, an assumption that many people make.). There is the intertextuality all over the place, which adds to the disconcerting hecticness of the global, the removal of any sense of place or belonging.

Also, doing a children's film shows that you're not just mindlessly doing the related text that everyone else is doing, that there is originality going into it. And I find animated films are the easiest to analyse, because the filmic techniques are really obvious cos it's intended for kids.

And I could go on, but that's just an example. Don't think that the markers really care about the audience of your text! It's up to you to convince them that you are sophisticated and most of all, understand what's going on. It's what you can do with the text, not what the text can do for you.

But of course, you have to be confident with your text and can use it to sustain the argument. So I still advise to choose carefully.

BTW, speaking of animated films, Shrek was a popular choice for RFTG.

Last edited:

Rahul

Dead Member
yep, its the way you interpret the text.
Originally posted by Belinda
^^ I certainly think it was. The thing is, don't assume the marker gives a toss about your text. It doesn't matter if it's Fight Club or Toy Story. It's about how sophisticated your ESSAY is, not your text.
*nods*

life4_rent

would 'life as a house' be a good RTFG text? cuz the guy kevin kline plays finally quits his job as a successful architect to go into the country/some obscure landmark and tries to put his family back togetha & builds a house.. =S

fight club... i was a bit confused with that movie & how it related to RTFG.. any explanations?

bugs life.. hav to go to my cousin's to scab her copy.. lol

thanx 4 all the help guys! *hugz* *mwahz*

-maggie xox

ps. vatche.. im doin life as a house mayb..
pps. lol, my english is horrible.. & we wonder HOW im doing ext1 & ext2

life4_rent

so the grasshoppers represent the GLOBAL whereas the ants represent the LOCAL?? [ bugs life ]

im beginning to see some similarities with heaney's 'requiem for the croppies' and this film *shivers*

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
did everyone forget the Matrix?
bahaha

mm a whole bunch of seftoners =/

life4_rent

lol.. nancy... NOW u tell me.. i wasnt sure.. it represented RFTG perfectly ,cept i cudnt be botherd doing it.. plus 'a bug's life' was much more fun to do..

btw, am LOVING 'a bug's life' - "i'm A BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLY!" =D

-m.

p.s. assessment was O-kay.. not tooooo bad.. tho i lost my arguement halfway thru.. bt i found it agen! =) rite b4 the conclusion.. lol, i'm such a lost case. its wat happens wen u get 4hrs of sleep and spend the nite before watchign CHARMED instead of studying for the assessment the next frickin day *kicks herself*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)