Removing vocals from music (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
Hi,

Say that i just bought an Indian music cd that has singing but i would like to only listen to the background music. Is it possible to modify the music files so that the vocals removed... using any available programs?

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
Yeah, it is possible, but it works to varying degrees depending on the song. Sometimes it works near perfectly, other times it ruins the song. Here's a quote that describes the theory behind voice cancelling:

HOW VOCAL REMOVAL WORKS

You can reduce the level of a vocal (or other lead instrument) in a stereo recording by taking advantage of how vocals are generally recorded: in mono and placed centered in the mix. Since the vocal track is present in both the left and right channels equally, you can, in theory, remove it or at least reduce its level by subtracting one channel from the other. Instruments panned away from center will not be removed, although the tone of those instruments will probably be affected. The basic procedure is to reverse the polarity of one channel, and then combine that with the other channel. Any content that is common to both channels will thus be canceled, leaving only those parts of the stereo mix that are different in the two channels. Reversing the polarity of an audio signal means that the parts of the waveform having a positive voltage are made negative, and vice versa. (This is often incorrectly called reversing the phase.) One important drawback inherent in vocal removal is that, by definition, it reduces a stereo mix to mono. Since you are combining the two channels to cancel the vocal, you end up with only one channel. However, there are ways to synthesize a stereo effect afterward, and that will be described later.

Important note added November 21, 2002: You cannot remove vocals effectively if your source is an MP3 file. In order to remove vocals, the vocals in the left and right channels must be exactly identical. Then when the polarity is reversed in one channel and the channels are combined, anything common to both channels - what's panned in the center - is cancelled. But MP3 encoding processes the two channels separately, so they are not identical enough to cancel.

It is impossible to completely remove a vocal or reduce its level, without affecting other instruments in the mix. First, even though most vocals are placed equally in the left and right channels, stereo reverb is usually added to vocal tracks. So even if you could completely remove the raw vocal itself, some or all of the reverb is sure to remain, leaving an eerie "ghost" image. If you plan to record yourself singing over the resultant track, the new vocal can have its own reverb added, and you may be able to mix your voice loud enough to mask the ghost reverb from the original vocal track. Another limitation arises because vocals are not the only thing panned to the center of the mix. Usually, the bass and kick drum are also smack in the middle, and those get canceled along with the vocal! However, you can minimize this problem by rolling off the lowest bass frequencies on one channel before combining it with the other. Since one channel now has less low end than the other, the low frequency instruments will not completely cancel. In fact, of the software programs I've seen that offer a vocal removal feature, none alter the low end on one channel before combining, so the bass and kick are eliminated along with the vocal.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/novocals.html
As for the actual removal, I use an audio editing program called Goldwave.

First, open up the program and open the file of the song you wish to remove the vocals from.

Next, click this button:

This will bring up the voice cancellation window. You'll notice a few sliders and stuff. Ignore them for now. Click on the drop-down menu button:

Choose a preset from this list which suits your needs. After selecting one, click OK, and the voice cancelling effect will be applied to the track. Play the track in Goldwave, and see how it sounds. If it's not right, hit CTRL+Z on your keyboard to undo the effect. Try different presents in the voice cancelling window. If you're still having problems, you can try moving the sliders around in the voice cancelling window and setting your own parameters. It's a lot of trial and error, and as I said before, voice cancelling doesn't always work. But, if it works, you'll know.

Good luck!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're using Winamp... from memory it has some inbuilt DSP options (or it used to?) which includes a "Voice removal" which operates on that same principle I believe. It gives the music a very hallow 'echoey' feel to it. Not too sure if that'll be suitable for your music.

On a side note, if you happen to be listening to a well known song.. you might be able to find midi versions of it on the internet which will only have instruments. As long as you have a half decent sound card or a reasonably decent motherboard with onboard sound, it should come off pretty decent.

Legham

HSC
I tried to remove the vocals off Dragonforce - Through The Fire And Flames with that program cause i don't like singing, but it didn't make any difference :( Does it not work with certain genres? Like Death metal and stuff where they're roaring instead of singing?

americanshoes

HSC
it doesn't work (as mentioned in much more detail above), when the vocals are panned to the left or right, instead of being center. It also kills any instrumentation that happens to be in the center of the stereo field.

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
Legham said:
I tried to remove the vocals off Dragonforce - Through The Fire And Flames with that program cause i don't like singing, but it didn't make any difference :( Does it not work with certain genres? Like Death metal and stuff where they're roaring instead of singing?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with crappy music.

G

Gavvvvvin

Legham said:
I tried to remove the vocals off Dragonforce - Through The Fire And Flames with that program cause i don't like singing,
the vocals are the best part :(

Retrovertigo

HSC
N/A
Whenever a DragonForce song pops up on the playlist, I just mute the whole thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)