religious threads (1 Viewer)

Lukybear

HSC
Lol okay. You have fun with your mind and the horrendous thoughts within it. But the vast majority of people don't need to have their morality recoded by an organisation which covers up the rape of children.

Oh and to borrow your phrasing - in history, even in ancient history, countless wars have begun over what? Religion. Lives have been destroyed for what? Dogmatic beliefs and the persecution which goes with it.
Kay. I just then condemned the Catholic church, if they are covering it up. But that's not a Doctrine issue. That's a human issue.

Can you name me some wars started over religion? Just curious. I have no knowledge about it that's all. But there are wars started over greed as well no? Majority of it are, i.e. Iraq.

I don't believe that you accept that humans are perfect. Are you perfect, and morally righteous?

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
Kay. I just then condemned the Catholic church, if they are covering it up. But that's not a Doctrine issue. That's a human issue.

Can you name me some wars started over religion? Just curious. I have no knowledge about it that's all. But there are wars started over greed as well no? Majority of it are, i.e. Iraq.

I don't believe that you accept that humans are perfect. Are you perfect, and morally righteous?
why would god produced such flawed priests?

Scorch

HSC
Actually the cover-up is entirely in line with the Catholic dogma.

You have to be kidding ... the Crusades are a good place to start.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC

1. How the fuck is it not a doctrine issue? Your supposedly perfect doctrine condemns sex outside of marriage, which pedophilia obviously is (99% of the time in developed countries)

2. Oh, let me count them...

THE CRUSADES

The Muslim Conquests

The French Wars of Religion

The English Civil War

The Sudanese Civil War

Algerian Civil War

IRISH CONFEDERATE WARS

Lebanese Civil War

The war in North-West Pakistan

The Arab-Israeli Wars

So, plenty.
:D

Lukybear

HSC
What's wrong with me, is that I am sick of people like you, that blindly follow retarded beliefs for the wrong reasons and look down on anyone else who doesn't and insist they need 'saving'. You have been brainwashed eg I bet you didn't choose to follow Christianity, you were most likely bought up with it. And i think this is true of most christians. Because anyone who isn't caught up thinking their little christian beliefs and way of life is the only way to live, can see that christianity is a terrible, terrible belief system.
How about you open your mind a bit. Realise that the church is corrupt and morally wrong. Realise that there probably isn't a mystical sky god and realise that there is a world outside your christian bubble. If you have considered other possible avenues for thinking about the universe/life/existence and realised the things I have mentioned AND still want to be a christian then I will not rage at you. But until then; you are just another brainwashed religious puppet.
There is a line between argumentation and just being rude. And this is heavily idiotic. Where are your reasoning? You are sick of people having beliefs? Christianity is a terrible belief system?

I did open my mind and I found God. I wasn't raised in a Christian family.

Why don't you open your mind and see some truly compassionate and caring Christian people? Why cant you see what good they have done in the world? That religion changes people for the better? Why cant you accept that fact.

I have realised that there is a world outside the church. I came from it. I am well versed in the science and know as much as my age allows the theories that purpose theories for the existence of life/universe. And I still believe.

What I am sick of if blind atheists who only rage. Have some respect for God's sake.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
There is a line between argumentation and just being rude. And this is heavily idiotic. Where are your reasoning? You are sick of people having beliefs? Christianity is a terrible belief system?

Why don't you open your mind and see some truly compassionate and caring Christian people? Why cant you see what good they have done in the world? That religion changes people for the better? Why cant you accept that fact.

I have realised that there is a world outside the church. I came from it. I am well versed in the science and know as much as my age allows the theories that purpose theories for the existence of life/universe. And I still believe.

What I am sick of if blind atheists who only rage. Have some respect for God's sake.
why respect a god that doesn't exist ya dipshit

Scorch

HSC

I am 17, and have been an atheist since I was 14 and had the most rudimentary ability to understand the scientific and historical fact. The Old Testament is a vague collection of nationalistic scribblings by separate tribes and cultures, which ranges from pseudo-historical to absolutely mythical (there was never an exodus in any form, for example, no conquests of Joshua, etc). The New Testament is historically inaccurate, shows clear evidence of being edited to adopt shifting theology of the early church and is heavily influenced by concepts of Zoroastrianism, Mithraism and Buddhism.

Its main teaching involves the idea that a God created humans, lied to them, that a talking snake that was also created by God tricked them into believing the truth, they believed it and God blamed them for it and sentenced their descendants to hell for eternity. He, in his omniscience, omnipotence and omni-benevolence, apparently aided his chosen people to butcher, slaughter and enslave thousands upon thousands of people, handing down to them brutal and barbaric rules that encourage genocide, rape, slavery and the killing of homosexuals.

These rules are then somehow 'fixed' by the human sacrifice of a radical cultist, the only meaningful record of whom is provided in the form of heavily-edited gospels that regularly distort historical truth in order to make divine claims and contradict each other.

This is to say nothing of the scientific and logical impossibility of the great deal of the Biblical account, and the fact that in order to even reach any form of respectable ethic, one must actually ignore vast chunks of the Bible that put God in the position of condoning rape, ethnic cleansing and butchery.

If you had even a basic understanding of the history, science and logic you would not believe.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC

Crusades, Thirty Years' War and French Wars of Religion, just to name a few. And then you have the countless acts of genocide which have religious links including Srebrenica and massacres including the very recent attacks of Muslims upon Christians in Nigeria and Protestant-Catholic violence in Northern Ireland (which is also a sovereignty issue but is compounded by religion), not to mention older examples like the Inquisition (the torture and burning of alleged heretics) and the Reformation. All of this is easily discoverable using Google if you could be bothered actually doing any research.

And I never said that humans were perfect. I said that I didn't believe we were inherently evil and that I didn't believe that all human beings shared the same intrinsic moral sickness that you seem to believe you possess. We just exist and we're all good and bad to varying and complex degrees. But no matter how bad someone is, sending them off to a church where they can receive moral guidance from a hypocritical and completely out-of-touch organisation is really not helpful.

Akhdar

HSC
You know birthday is a holiday invented by Muhammad right?

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC

Lolwhut. You're talking to a forum primarily comprised of people your age or similar and you think using the "as much as my age allows" excuse for lack of research and poorly founded beliefs will fly?

The atheists in this thread aren't blind, you are.

Flying_Vagina

Banned
HSC
I am 17, and have been an atheist since I was 14 and had the most rudimentary ability to understand the scientific and historical fact. The Old Testament is a vague collection of nationalistic scribblings by separate tribes and cultures, which ranges from pseudo-historical to absolutely mythical (there was never an exodus in any form, for example, no conquests of Joshua, etc). The New Testament is historically inaccurate, shows clear evidence of being edited to adopt shifting theology of the early church and is heavily influenced by concepts of Zoroastrianism, Mithraism and Buddhism.

Its main teaching involves the idea that a God created humans, lied to them, that a talking snake that was also created by God tricked them into believing the truth, they believed it and God blamed them for it and sentenced their descendants to hell for eternity. He, in his omniscience, omnipotence and omni-benevolence, apparently aided his chosen people to butcher, slaughter and enslave thousands upon thousands of people, handing down to them brutal and barbaric rules that encourage genocide, rape, slavery and the killing of homosexuals.

These rules are then somehow 'fixed' by the human sacrifice of a radical cultist, the only meaningful record of whom is provided in the form of heavily-edited gospels that regularly distort historical truth in order to make divine claims and contradict each other.

This is to say nothing of the scientific and logical impossibility of the great deal of the Biblical account, and the fact that in order to even reach any form of respectable ethic, one must actually ignore vast chunks of the Bible that put God in the position of condoning rape, ethnic cleansing and butchery.

If you had even a basic understanding of the history, science and logic you would not believe.
how are you 17, ur in ur fucking 3rd year of uni
And you are realllylyly boring.

Lukybear

HSC

You say a lot of stuff about the bible. Please do show me some evidence, at least link me somehow. I could just as easily point you to documentaries that I have seen presenting the Gospels as truth and historically accurate, even recorded by secular historians. Now I am not very well versed in History, but I do have a certain interest in science.

And there are arbitrariness in physics. For one, the Big Bang theory which describes the creation of the universe as we all know. Mathematically sound was that at the beginning the universe was required to expand at at a speed greater then the speed of light. But Relativity contradicts this, as nothing can travel faster then the speed of light.

Other cosmological models that describes the creation of the universe also exist: (adding to current theories)
1. String theory/M-theory solves the problem.
2. Our Universe exists in a greater multiverse.
These "theories" are nothing concrete. They are mere mathematical models with even Multiverse theory proposing the existence of billions (10^100) of universes.

These are absurd consequences of physics that is purposed. Yet this doesn't make me doubt physics.

Believe it or not, I do have a very basic understanding of history and logic. But I still don't where you've acquired all these accusations about the bible from.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Lukybear, can I just take this moment to point out that your sig's Bible verse has a typo and it really cracks me up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)