religious justification of sex (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempco

HSC
ogmzergrush said:
I think by 9th they meant ninth partner, but that's a pretty funny response :)
i didn't realise he was a guy either. :rolleyes:

hipPo3

HSC
Genesys said:
Hahahhaa you obviously missed the whole point of that. I am not trying to be all evangelical...No way. I am saying that I don't believe and they can have their beliefs, but they don't have to challenge my Christianity because I don't agree with everything that is written in the Bible. The Church is wrong sometimes....eg) mary magdalene.

Also, I specifically said CHRISTIAN HUMANISM...which is different to simple humanism...and is at the heart of all the Churches social practice...in regards to things like justification of war, morals for coporate business and social welfare. Obviously you don't know the difference between the two. So as for your argument about me inferring that everyone was Christian by making reference to that, it is completely flawed and I made no such claim...try again.

I don't think anything else needs be said
Mary magdalene makes sense .. jesus was a 30+ yr old jew, henceforth he has to have a wife to be accepted in to the society. If u knew anything about ancient culture and society then u would realise how different times in culture has changed, and how much our views have altered.

Justification of war, morals for cooporate business and social welfare ? .. i havent said anything about that ... and i dont see a piont in "trying again", i only thought u where seeing everything in black and white by saying if ur human and u have pre-marital sex, u loose ur dignity, which is wrong

Genesys

HSC
I never said anything about people losing their dignity.

I know about the culture...in terms of Mary Magdalene I was making reference to the fact that the Church originally thought she was a prostitute..which has since been proven not to be the case. It seems that you have read Dan Brown's novel and confused what I was saying with arguments used to justify that conspiracist theory.

war, coporate business etc...I was defending my reference to Christian Humanism and explaining how it was relevant

littlebinzy

The_highwayman said:
It's not the world that has the problem. It is you who has a problem with the world.

Religion deserves to be the topic of healthy debate...particularly religion in regards to premarital sex in this society. Wanting to avoid that is silly.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at but anyway...

My post was basically saying that as a result of my seeing topics like this on a few boards, even ones dominated by christians, they always turn into "Haha you believe the Bible you're stupid haha" while a couple of people have a serious debate or a couple of people debate life the universe and everything. However, in the end, I don't think I've ever seen anyone change their opinion, but I do see a lot of "I hate christians, oh guess what I still hate christians" and then a lot of "I'm a christian, who would have thought I won't even consider their argument and I'm still a christian". The funny thing is, this thread was started as a question to other christians and immediately it became "haha christian I want sex".

As for my comment about Christians, I don't see why there is any reason to not follow the ten commandments...

HSC
hmm.. ok.. well since i started this i shall inject some more of the opinion not only of myself, but of all the churches in my local area:
if you're a christian, you love god and you want to live in a way that is pleasing to him. hence because his word says dont have pre-marital sex, you wont.
now some of you will have issues here, thats prolly cos you're not christian/dont believe in the bible etc.
since this was directed at christains im going to continue, however
so right, god says this stuff for our own protection. god created sex and he thinks its pretty awesome. but he doesnt want US to be hurt which is whats gunna happen if you have premarital sex cos you'll break up with them and it will be harder cos they'll have that part of you etc
god makes it pretty clear in the bible that sex is between a married man and his wife.. if you dont believe the bible is real or dont believe in god and stuff thats cool, but for christians this should be the way we live.
in that manner then, for those christians who are like "oh y'all god says dont do it but im going to anyway" then i guess thats their choice, but how can they consciously know that its wrong and still turn against god in that manner? i mean gods all for forgiveness but its like if you break a window and your parents forgive you, you're not gunna run around breaking all the windows, right?
and for those of you who say the bible is not contemporary or up-to date or whatever, what impact does that have? theres nothing in the bible thats like "oh hey when this is 2000 years old, stop doing what it says".. Gods guidelines are there for our protection and if you TRULY love him and are a christian you should want to do, and you should do, what it says.
non christians, please ignore my rant, cos otherwise you'll come back with that god/bible doesnt exist and stuff and thats not my point here :)
god says dont have sex outside of marriage.. so the key thing is, for christians... dont.

Genesys

HSC
No one stated the Bible was not comtemporary....however each age is obviously unique and social situations change. You can force one mentalite ( not the historical meaning of this word) on every age. Understandably some Christians see the Bible as being completely literal...however in the Catholic tradition the Bible needs to be interpreted and often things are not taken literally, but are seen as ways of explaining things. In this way the Bible can be reinterpreted, and things can change. In the modern context, the union between man and woman, consumated by sex, can be seen differently, as marriage as an institution is degenerating. I am a Christian, a devout Catholic, but I think that the sacredness of the act is ensured by the individual's beliefs and readiness and commitment to each other, and not the institution of marriage, and I think God could accept that.

Last edited:

Minifish

Ghost
HSC
But human interpretation, like that of the catholic church, can become a problem and is not neccessarily correct, as many people interpret with their mind and not their spirit, and so how can a mortal, imperfect person perfectly interpret the words of a perfect God? Hence, the need for your own personal reading, devotion and meditation on the Bible and all contained within.

Secondly, as a christian, i believe that my god is eternal. He has always existed, and shall always exist. Some of you will say hey that doesnt make sense, but that is because our human existence is bound by time, everything in life is bound by time, we run our lives according to times and schedules, so it is beyond our comprehention to, well, comprehend such a matter.
Therefore i also believe that my eternal God knows the beginning, end, and everything in between of the earth and everything contained in it, along with the rest of the universe. So, i also believe that if my all powerful God knows what was going to happen from the beginning to the end, then why would he have inspired the select people to write a book that was going to be out of date in a few centuries??

littlebinzy

I think that the Bible needs to be read in context. Thus there are some verses that say things which we no longer need to follow. E.g. don't wear a polycotton shirt (Leviticus 19:19 for those interested) However, I am yet to see a convincing argument that the 10 commandments are being taken out of context...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you do "work" on the sabbath? (In the biblical context of the meaning of "work" in relation to the sabbath?)

littlebinzy

I doubt it, considering Jesus came along and did plenty on the Sabbath... I don't think he had sex outside of marriage though... :D. EDIT: That smiley is weird looking!

By the way, our understanding of the word work has changed, our understanding of the word adultery hasn't...

I still don't know why I use ... so often...

I should probably point out, the only reason I care about this issue is because I dislike hypocricy. I would feel the same way about an atheist praying before an exam...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Sure but the ten commandments can be seperated into 2 groups. Firstly you have the religiously motivated, which really are not relevant in a contempary context. However the others such as adultery can be completely seperated from religion. They are social mores and are governed by the values of a society over time.

Genesys

HSC
Forbidding Premarital sex isn't actually part of the decalogue...no one is challenging the ten commandments.

The Ten Commandments are a brief summary of certain basic rules of behavior. They do not specifically address some of the most active of today's moral controversies, such as abortion, corporal punishment of children, the death penalty, equal rights for homosexuals, same-sex marriage, physician assisted suicide, pre-marital sex, etc.

Therefore there is need for reinterpretation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Christians continue to hold them in high regard, even though they have rejected most of the other laws in the Mosaic Code as no longer applicable or binding.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
no sex b4 marriage applys in most and all major religons
christianity islam judiasm hinduism buddist etc..
if its not a big deal then why is it restricted so much?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Shaved Arse said:
listen you dumb bitch god is not real so wake up theres no reason to wait. just open ur legs and take it like you should you little slut.
lmfao
who r u talkign to?
if its me then lol
if its anyone else then double lol

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
back to the topic at hand...

as a christian and a virgin...

how far would i go...

i'de have dry sex (with pants on), oral, hand.... and well yeahh... what people would call as the next stage in the relationship referring to sex, my view would refer to the next stage as doing oral... i wouldn't go all the way until I married.

littlebinzy

Deus said:
Sure but the ten commandments can be seperated into 2 groups. Firstly you have the religiously motivated, which really are not relevant in a contempary context. However the others such as adultery can be completely seperated from religion. They are social mores and are governed by the values of a society over time.
I normally hear about the Ten Commandments being separated into many more groups than two... oh well.

Genesys, what do you call adultery then? I think it's sex outside of marriage myself... Upon checking dictionary.com which has never failed me in the past I retract this argument. *hums to self*

Anyway, I think that not having pre-marital sex is a good common sense thing anyway... I'm not to be like "woah it's in the Bible, better follow that without even thinking about it". I actually see benefits *shock horror* in not having sex before marriage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)