• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

religious justification of sex (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
As a virgin and a Christian i look at my friends who are non-virgins and are christian and i just wonder how they justify what happened. i mean, God designed it to be special, to be enjoyed and to be between two people who love each other and who will be together forever ie husband and wife.
so for anyone who's a christian and has had sex, what's your view? whats your justification?
and for those of you who are still virgins, and are christians, how far do you go before you draw the line?
im interested in what people have to say..

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Out of curiosity, where in your religious text does it say that you shouldn't have sex before marriage?

L

LaraB

ella_fitzgerald said:
As a virgin and a Christian i look at my friends who are non-virgins and are christian and i just wonder how they justify what happened. i mean, God designed it to be special, to be enjoyed and to be between two people who love each other and who will be together forever ie husband and wife.
so for anyone who's a christian and has had sex, what's your view? whats your justification?
and for those of you who are still virgins, and are christians, how far do you go before you draw the line?
im interested in what people have to say..
its just your point of view

people interpret christianity in different ways, who's to say yours is right?

its not about justifying why they do it.... maybe they wonder how you justify having such a negative view of their actions?

unless you canb find a passage in the bible that says "do not have sex until you are married" its totally a matter of opinion because if it is not stated at all or stated in a different less obvious manner, it's all up for interpretation so there is no reason why their view is any more or less valid than yours...

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
i'm gonna enslave some niggers! who's with me? it's ok, the bible says it's all good

Generator

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
There seems to be an influx of Christians in this forums. The bad types too.
It's all your fault, too. You shouldn't have stopped demonsing the forum's evangelicals, Asquithian. Shame.

:p

HSC
Right from the very beginning of the Bible, it is evident that God wants sex to be within marriage. For when Adam and Eve are in the Garden of Eden it is once the two have become united (in marriage) that they become one in flesh – NOT BEFORE.
Genesis 2: 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
Following this there are examples all throughout the Bible of avoiding sexual immorality, that is, sex outside of a marriage. God sees sex as so valuable that it has to be kept for the right person.

For Christians, your boyfriend/girlfriend is someone else’s future husband/wife – God wants us to respect that: 2 Timothy 2:22 says Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Here is evidence from the bible that God wants us to avoid sexual immorality, that is, sex outside of marriage:

Galatians 5:19-25 19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6: 9-11 9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

And then 18-20
18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your body.

1 Thessalonians 4
Living to Please God
1Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. 2For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.
3It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, 5not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; 6and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. 7For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you choose to live your life to the word of a fictional document then meh well its your loss.

Do not let fiction dictate your life.

Its a concept called free-will (and something i believe "god" actually gave people)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Deus said:
If you choose to live your life to the word of a fictional document then meh well its your loss.

Do not let fiction dictate your life.

Its a concept called free-will (and something i believe "god" actually gave people)
It its not entirely correct to describe the bible as being fictitious. And it is completely reasonable to let fiction dictate one's life, anyone who believes they live according to essential truths is misleading themselves.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I'm athiest, and I'm not a virgin, so what I post in this thread is probably useless.

All I want to say is that it's not possible to lost your virginity to someone you know you'll spend the rest of your life with. Even after marriage there are divorces. IMO, the love of your life doesn't necessarily have to be the one you marry, and it makes a lot more sense to lose your virginity at what you feel is the right time, not what someone else tells you is the right time.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
ella_fitzgerald said:
Right from the very beginning of the Bible, it is evident that God wants sex to be within marriage. For when Adam and Eve are in the Garden of Eden it is once the two have become united (in marriage) that they become one in flesh – NOT BEFORE.
Genesis 2: 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
Following this there are examples all throughout the Bible of avoiding sexual immorality, that is, sex outside of a marriage. God sees sex as so valuable that it has to be kept for the right person.

For Christians, your boyfriend/girlfriend is someone else’s future husband/wife – God wants us to respect that: 2 Timothy 2:22 says Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Here is evidence from the bible that God wants us to avoid sexual immorality, that is, sex outside of marriage:

Galatians 5:19-25 19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6: 9-11 9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

And then 18-20
18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your body.

1 Thessalonians 4
Living to Please God
1Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. 2For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.
3It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, 5not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; 6and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. 7For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.
Don't you think that the expression "sexual immorality" is a little broad? Depending on an individuals morals, "sexual immorality" could mean pre-marital sex (as you seem to think it does), heterosexual anal sex, incest etc. Considering that the Bible itself is a rather weak translation, I'd argue that the phrase "sexual immorality" only means what you want it to mean.

The Bible, "A Legal Approach"

In the first passage, sexual immorality is listed alongside orgies and adultery, wouldn't an orgy involve pre-marital sex? Why make the distinction? Since each word would have a meaning in such an important document Project Blue Sky Inc v Australian Broadcasting Authority Expressio unius est exclusio alterius Dean v Wisengrund.the expression of the term orgies is obviously a deliberate exclusion of pre-marital sex.

Furthermore, the genus of the terms above are all rather severe or morally repugnant sins that would harm others either directly or indirectly. I believe, that pre-marital sex between two consenting adults harms noone, and thus noscitur a sociis I'd say that the phrase sexual immorality is in reference to more severe sins such as incest as opposed to pre marital sex.

Since consistent usage of words is presumed throughout such documents Wilson v Commissioner of Stamp Duties I'd say that none of these passages refer to pre-marital sex.

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Asquithian said:
I think the bible has powerful metaphorical messages that SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LITERALLY.
I agree, yet to assert it is entirely fictitious given the vast quantity of scientific basis for many of the bible's passages seems quite ignorant.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
neo_o said:
Don't you think that the expression "sexual immorality" is a little broad? Depending on an individuals morals, "sexual immorality" could mean pre-marital sex (as you seem to think it does), heterosexual anal sex, incest etc.
Irrespective of personal beliefs, the religious have always defined "sexual immorality" as being sex outside of marriage and thus, the bible must be interpreted as such.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Asquithian said:
I'm sure there is historical basis for some of what is said in the bible. I don't think people should dismiss it. It should be read like like any historical text - in the correct context.

This doesn't mean reading the bible literally. If we read the bible in a metaphorical way I'm sure many many more people would be christian.
Yet, with every step you make towards metaphorism, a further step is made, away from realism and the consequential confidence endears in the people. Anyone can write a fable, but living your life according to values without any logical or essential basis defies faith - its madness.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
absolution* said:
Irrespective of personal beliefs, the religious have always defined "sexual immorality" as being sex outside of marriage and thus, the bible must be interpreted as such.
My learned firend, I think that what you meant to say was "quite a few of the followers of the religion have interpreted this document thus". May I respectfully disagree with your logic and remind you that intepretation by past followers of the religion doesn't really act as a binding precedent upon todays practioners. I conceed that words that are specific to a certain community should be given their technical as opposed to popular meaning Herbert Adams Pty Ltd v Federal however, I'd argue that nobody really can known the original intention of the drafters of the Bible and that applying an interpretation realised only through the minds of silly theologians would be bollocks.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
interestingly..
Jews in a survey study were more metaphorical about their religious text the Torah compare to Christians views of the Old testement... which share similar books..

i dunno why there are so many evangelicals/ultra conservatives....

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
interestingly..
Jews in a survey study were more metaphorical about their religious text the Torah compare to Christians views of the Old testement... which share similar books..

It's all about control.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
neo_o said:
My learned firend, I think that what you meant to say was "quite a few of the followers of the religion have interpreted this document thus". May I respectfully disagree with your logic and remind you that intepretation by past followers of the religion doesn't really act as a binding precedent upon todays practioners. I conceed that words that are specific to a certain community should be given their technical as opposed to popular meaning Herbert Adams Pty Ltd v Federal however, I'd argue that nobody really can known the original intention of the drafters of the Bible.
I find no fault in the logic of taking at face value the considered judgments of theologians and biblical scholars who are undoubtedly more qualified than my good self in interpretation of the bible. There must be a place for interpretation with regards to any historical text. As such, noting the widely held view of the religious majority i believe to be suffice with regards to relatively striaght-forward transcription of defintion in the noted case.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
interestingly..

Perhaps that may have to do with the rigorous study of the Torah which is customary within Judaism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)