Religious affiliation (2 Viewers)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
I dont.

That's kinda the point... i dont go around killing people, just in case you are real.

But i dont just assume you are real.
but how do u know that reality and illusion/imagination/ aren't also concepts that u've created in ur mind...

Ok u don't go around killing people but according to what ur saying that also means u think killing is real...

U said u don't go around killing people , "just incase you(we) are real"...

that means u believe killing exists or else u would kill ppl anyways.. whether they're real or not.. i mean if killing is something u created in ur mind then who cares... why not just kill everyone.... it's all going to be in ur mind and none of it will be real....

but that fact that u've identified that killing is real.... that means that obviously something(or someone) esle is also real.. because if nothing but ur mind existed then killing would fail to exist....

get_born

wikiwiki said:
No no no no wrong track.

Indeed , you will find that the Matrix was based more on Plato's Republic than the other text you mention...

The religion is called "philisophical satanism" because if God exists, then I want nothing to do with him. Plus, any non-judaist/islamic/christian religion was traditionally referred to as satanism.

Imagine this situation:

I am only my mind. I dream up a world and my consciousness creates "imaginary people" totalling the worlds population. I also dream that i have a body and that i need to feed it /protect it or I will die. Then i start to make other things to make the world seem plausible: laws of physics and chemistry, history, culture etc.

How can you prove to me that any of you exist seperate from me?

I know I exist, how can i know that you exist?
Just like to correct something you said...being a muslim i know that ISLAM has never been refered to as satanism...but maybe this concept exists in your head...but does your head exist...i know mine does coz its hurting me and quite frankly im confused??

get_born

wikiwiki said:
How cant i make that up?

people who hallucinate often create imaginary people? do they exist? what if you can see what they are typing?

I know I exist because that is the meaning of existence. How do I know that you are *real*?
you say you make u everything in your head, that means your belief in satanism is all made up...and if that part isnt made up or hallucinated, doesn't that just conflict with the whole concept of satanism?

physician

HSC
wikiwiki said:
if they arent in my head, then where the hell are they?
let me get one thing straight.. do u mean ur mind by saying ur head...?.. they are two completely different things!

wikiwiki said:
Basically , prove that If i didnt exist, you still would exist.

well 2 days ago looking at it from the perspective of reletavity... u did not exist as far as i was concerened...

But i don't see why i would want to prove that i fu didn't exist, i would still exist...

u said it urself.. u could have made us up all in that dream of urs and so what would me typing anything, from ur perspective, be of any relevance to U, since u'r not sure if i exist in the first place....

see i know u exist... but how would u go about proving that u do exist to someone with similar views to urself?

physician

HSC
wikiwiki said:
Of course my concept of imagination and reality is "in my mind". Thats what im saying. Now, my concept of killing is in my mind, but i dont know if it is real, since i cant prove things are real. My concept of death is thus the end of my existence, which i dont know is possible (unless i try it).

So what im saying is "just in case" since I may very well find proof that other things exist seperate from me.

but ur so confident that u exist.... and i believe u exist...

I'm trying to look at things from ur perspective....

but by what ur syaing.. if u can't prove U exist then i don't have a reason to believe u r real (from ur perspective).. to me u do exist

get_born

wikiwiki said:
dont confuse existence with thoughts.

of course my beliefs are in my mind, thats what my mind is.

if they arent in my head, then where the hell are they?

So what im saying is, I know the things I think about in my head exist, since my consciousness exists.

Do you exist seperate from my consciousness? Does my body exist seperate from my consciousness? Does the world exist seperate from my consciousness?

Thoughts are 'made up', but you "people" claim you aren't made up.

Basically , prove that If i didnt exist, you still would exist.
Ok....so your beliefs are in your mind, and that's what your mind is...therefore your mind is made up of beliefs...beliefs are real, therefore it exists.
I understand that you are aware your head and conscience exist...and am also hoping you are aware that your head is connected to your neck your neck to your body and so on. Now you'll probably reply by saying how do we know that all this isn't made up from your head. Let me save you the trouble and tell you to pinch yourself...if it hurts then you know you exist...and please dont say...how do you know that the pain doesn't exist in your head... the fact is pain is real, you feel it, therefore you are real. If you think, or know, or believe what is real when you want it to be real, then i can say to me you are not real, i am communicating to my own figure of imagination, i am talking to nothing and nothing is communicating back... i am talking to myself!!

get_born

lourai*87 said:
wikiwiki...are these your honest true beliefs? Or are you doing it to take the piss out of everyone? Its not all that funny really.
i agree.... i aint gonna bother no more.

so what does everyone think of the new pope?

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
last_chance said:
i agree.... i aint gonna bother no more.

so what does everyone think of the new pope?
Lol...i really doubt the legitimacy of it all...but anyway, each to their own i suppose.

And there are numerous threads on the pope already...lets not start another :p

get_born

lourai*87 said:
Lol...i really doubt the legitimacy of it all...but anyway, each to their own i suppose.

And there are numerous threads on the pope already...lets not start another :p
thats the first thing that popped into my head... i was attempting to change the topic and thats the first religious thing that popped into my mind.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Lol thats cool. Damn i hate even thinking about religion...it depresses/angers/upsets me all at once. I dont know why people bother. I say start living for yourself, not for some possibly non-existent fellow from centuries back. Live your life how you want (if this involves religion so be it), rather than panicking about what happens when you die. Because honestly, its not worth it. We have another 80-or-so years left here, so make the most of it...instead of being scared into whatever youre doing by the thought of what you should be believing.

Man...so many people are gonna shoot me for that one.

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
lourai, but thats assuming he definitely doesnt exist? what if he does(and evidence leans more towards his existence then against)? what if ur wrong and because you didnt bother doing any research and actually ATTEMTING to maybe understand the evidences pointing to God, you end up in Hell for eternity?? now i see where ur coming from. But there are two sides to each coin. Instead of saying "oh God definitely doesnt exist" and satisfying ur own ideas and mental processes, why dont you actually at least attempt to see the reasons behind believing in God? i mean are you really prepared to take the chance of living the life of an atheist and then possible landing in Hel for eternity simply because u werent bothered researching theistic beliefs?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
lourai*87 said:
Lol thats cool. Damn i hate even thinking about religion...it depresses/angers/upsets me all at once. I dont know why people bother. I say start living for yourself, not for some possibly non-existent fellow from centuries back. Live your life how you want (if this involves religion so be it), rather than panicking about what happens when you die. Because honestly, its not worth it. We have another 80-or-so years left here, so make the most of it...instead of being scared into whatever youre doing by the thought of what you should be believing.

WE HAVE ANOTEHR 80 OR SO YEARS LEFT?
in reguards to that statement
no we dont..some people have 30 seconds left
some people have 5 years
some have 80 some died when they were babies
DONT ASSUME you are going to die when you get old
and in reguards to your post..its the complete opposite to me
i love religon..i think about it every day..and God.. AND LIFE..AND WHY IM HERE..THE PURPOSE..AND DEATH AND WHERE IM GOING AND whoops caps...
it helps me sleep at night to know and understand my life and existence..
not to just live it doing whatever whats the point of living if you dont have anything to live for?

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Ok...i told you i was gonna get shot for that one. Lets point out one thing...did i ever say there that i do not believe? Have i ever said that? No. In fact i do believe to some extent. THe difference is, i choose to keep my mind open about it and not lean one way or the other. Becuase i dont want my life influenced by something im not sure of.

And from what i have been told - i may well believe, yet if i have not dedicated my entire existence to Christ, then im going to Hell anyway. Keep in mind this is only Christianity im talking about.

In reference to the 80 years, maybe it isnt that long...but im not going to worry about my afterlife when all i know is here and now. Why should i project myself into my future, however long or short it may be, when i dont even know. Its worrying about something that may never even happen, and to me its not worth it. So instead of in my dying seconds thinking "am i going to hell am i going to hell" id much rather think about my life so far, etc.

I choose not to ask questions much anymore, same applies to research, because everyone has a differing opinion and in my experience the people whho have told me things refuse to see a different point of view which does not agree with their own.

SabtheLab...I do accept and attempt to understand peoples reasoning for believing. I dont have a problem with it, i have tried to understand myself. If people believe it and place all their faith in it and it makes their life all the better for it, then i am genuinely happy for them. I cannot put my faith in something that im not sure of.

Soha...my mistake about the assumption of dying with age. I think i corrected it up there. I went through all that questioning and wanted an answer and reason for everything i was. I explored the idea of god, what i wanted from my life, all that stuff. God answers that for you. It didnt for me, i hoped that it would, but it didnt. And all the time i spent thinking about it got me really worked up And in the end i decided i would live to live. Everything i have to live for is in front of me now. When i die, im gone from all of that anyway so whatever happens afterward will be a new adventure. There is no definite as to what will happen then...

Guys, please tell me if i offended you..did it? I dont want to offend anyone ok...and my mind remains open to anything, whatever of a contradiction that may seem :)

get_born

lourai*87 said:

be assured i dont have a gun. lol. however every time someone on this religious thread says something, people fire up...i know ive had one of those moments...sometimes their exciting, but other times i just cant be bothered...and ive just come out of a maths exam that i'm hoping i did ok in...andonce again its one of those times im not bothered.

so think what ya want, your brain....your thoughts...your life :cool:

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
last_chance said:
be assured i dont have a gun. lol. however every time someone on this religious thread says something, people fire up...i know ive had one of those moments...sometimes their exciting, but other times i just cant be bothered...and ive just come out of a maths exam that i'm hoping i did ok in...andonce again its one of those times im not bothered.

so think what ya want, your brain....your thoughts...your life :cool:
I did get shot :(

get_born

lourai*87 said:
Ok...i told you i was gonna get shot for that one. Lets point out one thing...did i ever say there that i do not believe? Have i ever said that? No. In fact i do believe to some extent. THe difference is, i choose to keep my mind open about it and not lean one way or the other. Becuase i dont want my life influenced by something im not sure of.

And from what i have been told - i may well believe, yet if i have not dedicated my entire existence to Christ, then im going to Hell anyway. Keep in mind this is only Christianity im talking about.

In reference to the 80 years, maybe it isnt that long...but im not going to worry about my afterlife when all i know is here and now. Why should i project myself into my future, however long or short it may be, when i dont even know. Its worrying about something that may never even happen, and to me its not worth it. So instead of in my dying seconds thinking "am i going to hell am i going to hell" id much rather think about my life so far, etc.

I choose not to ask questions much anymore, same applies to research, because everyone has a differing opinion and in my experience the people whho have told me things refuse to see a different point of view which does not agree with their own.

SabtheLab...I do accept and attempt to understand peoples reasoning for believing. I dont have a problem with it, i have tried to understand myself. If people believe it and place all their faith in it and it makes their life all the better for it, then i am genuinely happy for them. I cannot put my faith in something that im not sure of.

Soha...my mistake about the assumption of dying with age. I think i corrected it up there. I went through all that questioning and wanted an answer and reason for everything i was. I explored the idea of god, what i wanted from my life, all that stuff. God answers that for you. It didnt for me, i hoped that it would, but it didnt. And all the time i spent thinking about it got me really worked up And in the end i decided i would live to live. Everything i have to live for is in front of me now. When i die, im gone from all of that anyway so whatever happens afterward will be a new adventure. There is no definite as to what will happen then...

Guys, please tell me if i offended you..did it? I dont want to offend anyone ok...and my mind remains open to anything, whatever of a contradiction that may seem :)

ok ive read on... and im suddenly interested...and just like to say from now i dont wanna offend anyone either!! But dis you ever stop to think that although you dont know much about the afterlife...you do know that there is a heaven and a hell. You need to know that this life is like an exam, im not saying study your ass off, but just have enough to at least get you through the passing gates. I cant comment because i know nothing about your life...but it is important as a believer to know that the afterlife isnt just some adventure...more rather it is a place we will all end up goind to and we need to be prepared to enter this place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)