• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

heybraham

HSC
lol the healthy skeptic enquires the integrity of something until his heart's content. the unhealthy one has no questions because they simply want to get on with their lives, little do they know, their life has probably just been a fairy tale of epic proportions.

choose wisely.

do not be my hindu friend who said this when i asked him why he didn't like Christianity

"The bible's too long man!" - i won't disclose his name, it's too slack lol

Xe_Ln_Ag_A

HSC
im an agnostic.
im naturally not a spiritual person, so im not attracted to religion or faith.
i dont believe humankind is smart enough to "figure it all out;" how can we possibly contemplate something that we are only a small part of?

still, if other people choose to believe in their faith and it makes them happy, then i am happy for them.

XeL

froggy_chik87

HSC
im not religious...i don't think that i should give my life to someone who lived thousands of years ago...(or whenever)...to do anything for me...its me in this life...making my own decisions...choosing the path i take...i dont think that we should be looking to someone else...not to blame...or praise...we OURSELVES are the greater being...!

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
The one thing that gets to me most about reigion...i suppose i should say Christianity...is the fact that -- if God loves us all so much, why is the world such a terrible place? And the most common answer is that God gave us free will, etc. And that it all goes back to when Eve disobeyed the order not to eat the apple...

Great...so if you do something i ask you not too, im going to hold it against you for the rest of eternity? It seems mighty spiteful to me. Kinda immature...I mean, after centuries and milleniums, you'd think the grudge would wear off..?

Of course there are gonna be things that go wrong in our lives, but things that happen when masses of people are killed, abused, tortured, whatever...Where is our compassionate god when all of this is going on....?

Anyway thats why i hate thinking about religion and faith etc. Why devote your life to something that you have no trust in whatsoever. And if there is a small amount of trust it sort of dissolves when you start thinking about all that sorta stuff (above).

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
I'm a Latter Day Saint A.K.A Mormon. I love it! :)

Random question, does atheism really exist? Because, thinking philosophically here, don't you need to believe in God to Deny that there is one?

get_born

Dr_Gorgeous said:
I'm a Latter Day Saint A.K.A Mormon. I love it! :)

Random question, does atheism really exist? Because, thinking philosophically here, don't you need to believe in God to Deny that there is one?
I dont agree with the idea of disagreeing with god...but I dont understand you when you say "don't you need to believe in God to Deny that there is one?"
I just think that to not believe in god is to not believe in god, and to believe in god is to believe in god.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
No.

As usual I am an other religion. Being a philisophical satanist is very difficult especially considering what people think you believe. This will do as a rough guide to my beliefs.

This form of Satanism views ones self as the subjective center of the universe, and the highest aspirations and virtues are those which seek the elevation and improvement of the individual Satanist over others.

Philosophical Satanists generally do not recognize a theological deity or a metaphysical afterlife (though this is not to say that one MUST not), however this does not equate to a life devoid of spirituality.

To the Satanist, One is Ones own God, and He disdains rationalist, secular humanistic beliefs which abhor the existence of the supernatural, only to promote a sterile life grounded in the 'real world' alone and in working towards the altruistic advancement of His fellow man while neglecting He His own gratification and amusement.

You might want to know why this is referred to as satanism - its because Satan means the accuser, and challenges God (the status quo). In the same way, philisophical satanists challenge the status quo. Some philisophical satanists also believe in a judaist/islamic or christian god, i'm not one of them: I am my only God.
But satan himslef believes in God.... he may not worship him.. but he does believe in him

get_born

wikiwiki said:
No.

As usual I am an other religion. Being a philisophical satanist is very difficult especially considering what people think you believe. This will do as a rough guide to my beliefs.

This form of Satanism views ones self as the subjective center of the universe, and the highest aspirations and virtues are those which seek the elevation and improvement of the individual Satanist over others.

Philosophical Satanists generally do not recognize a theological deity or a metaphysical afterlife (though this is not to say that one MUST not), however this does not equate to a life devoid of spirituality.

To the Satanist, One is Ones own God, and He disdains rationalist, secular humanistic beliefs which abhor the existence of the supernatural, only to promote a sterile life grounded in the 'real world' alone and in working towards the altruistic advancement of His fellow man while neglecting He His own gratification and amusement.

You might want to know why this is referred to as satanism - its because Satan means the accuser, and challenges God (the status quo). In the same way, philisophical satanists challenge the status quo. Some philisophical satanists also believe in a judaist/islamic or christian god, i'm not one of them: I am my only God.
"Some philisophical satanists also believe in a judaist/islamic or christian god, i'm not one of them: I am my only God." How does that work...if a satanist believes one is ones own god, does that mean you believe in your self. and about the judais/islamic/ christian thing, how can they believe in one of them and at the same time oppose it...im confused??

physician

HSC
wikiwiki said:
I am my only God.
could u please emphasise on this point...

In what way r u ur own God...?

I'm not attacking u don't take this the wrong way... i would just appreciate it if u could ellaborate...

Last edited:

physician

HSC
hmm.. interesting... I've never really spoken to anyone who follows satanism...

oh by the way the section u quoted second was not said by me.. u quoted the wrong person... anyways..

ok... so what r ur views on human existance, creationism etc. what do u believe?

physician

HSC
wikiwiki said:
ah right. ill accept evolution, since i havent seen enough evidence to the contrary.

Im open minded about creationism vs intelligent design, see the next point.

Human existence is a very interesting one since most people dont agree with me on this.

I know I exist. I don't know that anything else exists. Knowing that I exist, and I am the only consciousness who must necessarily exist I have placed the role of God on to me. For all I know, you are all personalities of mine which are fragmented from my consciousness. I can't know if you are real, so I assume that you are most times.

So in order to prove to me that a creator exists, you would have to prove that something other than me exists and must exist.
well u r an offspring.. and for an off spring to exist u need to have a female and a male... which means they exist... so the male and female must exist in order that u may exist because if they didn't exist u would'nt exist either....

physician

HSC
wikiwiki said:
not necessarily? what's to say i didnt create the concept of parents?

I dont believe my body necessarily exists either.

Only my mind.

Cogito, ergo sum.

I think, therefore I am.
Ur mind does not function except with an outer source of energy (i.e. food)... without food ur MIND will not be able to function and will eventually die out.... which will eventually lead to death..

however since ur alive.. and u r contsnatly eating... then that means food exists... because if food didn't exist then ur mind would not exist...

physician

HSC
wikiwiki said:
nup. keep trying though.

what if food doesnt exist and i made the whole thing up?

im saying, what if i made everything up?

i mean, what if im actually a rock who is dreaming.
if ur a rock then the rock exsist... and to dream u need to have a brain and a functioning mind

physician

HSC
wikiwiki said:
why do you need a brain? think about the assumptions you are making.

Im saying, im not a human; im just a mind, seperate from the body completely.

How do I know that my body exists? we can fake sensory input to the brain, what's to say im not in a Matrix- like computer?

A mind wouldnt need anything to exist ( i know this is a stretch, but imagine things as just...being, without any reason behind it).

The laws of physics and chemistry dont apply, since i might have made them up to fit this dream i came up with.
but then how do u follow satanism.. and how do u know that satan exists or doesn't maybe u made them up too in the dream u came up with...

I wouldn't take the matrix as an example...u probably wouldn't know however the directors of 'The matrix' were slightly influenced by a book called 'the evolution deciet' after having read the book before creating 'the matrix'

wikiwiki said:
A mind wouldnt need anything to exist
how do u explain that?

physician

HSC
on the other hand from when i started reading ur posts in this thread... i suddenly remeberd THE MATRIX.... ur views r interesting.... and most of the questions ur asking r questions that have been taken into account in the movie itself
for example:

when Morpheous tells Neo:

"You have been living in a dream world, this is the world as it exists today, welcome to the desert of the real"

I find this an intersting concept...

u may want to read the following book

"The little man at the top of the tower"

by Harun Yahya

www.harunyahya.com.... if u type the title of the book in the serach section it'll lead u straight to it..

Just thought u may be ineterested...

Sarah

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
nup. keep trying though.

what if food doesnt exist and i made the whole thing up?

im saying, what if i made everything up?

i mean, what if im actually a rock who is dreaming.
Ok so it you don't exist, that would mean that you don't need water to survive

Sarah

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
The laws of physics and chemistry dont apply, since i might have made them up to fit this dream i came up with.
Ok, if this is the case and the law of phsysic doesn't apply, then the concept of "what goes up must come down" (i.e gravity) is contested. However, we know that what goes up must come down. If i flip a coin and it lands in the palm of my hand, that's gravity at work.

Likewise, if you go on an aeroplane. If physics doesn't apply then you would simply drop out of the sky.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
spastics

Its simple, you dont know if u exist ur lost! I exist cos you can read what i am typing. You cant make that up cos i am. There fore you dont exist and I am god!

physician

HSC
wikiwiki said:
How cant i make that up?

people who hallucinate often create imaginary people? do they exist? what if you can see what they are typing?

I know I exist because that is the meaning of existence. How do I know that you are *real*?
How do u know that we r *not real*?....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)