religion and sex before marriage - REDONE (2 Viewers)

will you have sex before marriage and are you religious

• yes i will have sex before, i am NOT religious

Votes: 112 39.6%
  • yes i will have sex before, i AM religious

Votes: 69 24.4%
  • no i will not have sex before, i am NOT religious

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • no i will not have sex before, i AM religious

Votes: 84 29.7%

• Total voters

Sophie777

Thanks whoever was talking to me, I know whatever I said was in your post. Yes ok nsk or osk or whatever. I would do that... if i were open minded and I am. However, I think I might study instead.

spell check

HSC
Dougie said:
"But what I seek is those who see beyond that and can sustain a good religious arguement"

which appears to be all here, we who r all interlectual!!
is this a joke

just in case it isn't, it's "intellectual" and for the above, "argument"

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
yes, it is a joke.

all of a sudden the posts have got shorter... u don't think ppl are writing really long ones at the moment do u?! :)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
just posting to get this thread back to the "new threads" location!!
hopefully we'll get more good and enlightening discussion :)

osk

HSC
Just like to wish you all the best for ur hsc people...(those who r doing it)........yeh...if u can....check out those links from my last post....u might find just what ur looking for.

Im off to study for maths......remember, God loves you all....no matter who u are

sub

ur_inner_child said:
I see flaws in the bible too... such as its patriarchy, its homophobia, its racism, depending on the way in which its read. To be honest, priests, bishops etc have sat there and enforced their own readings of the bible (since it IS a series of narratives) toward society, and some countries have claimed that when at war they are "fighting for God" - yet as we all know, readings such as this are biased and unreliable. I also believe that because of the way in which one can interpret the Bible, it can also be RE-interpreted, which happens all the time. Books have come out on it and I based my Ext 2 English on this.

You'll find that most christians are not the way some think. You'll be surprised how many are open minded to other religions, as well as atheists, race, gender, and (rarely) sexuality. This is because the bible can be reinterpreted, seeing as though its a text. We may read it NOW in a feminist, multicultural etc, stance, interpreting in what we want to read, the way bishops and priests and other authority figures had when they enforced their readings toward the public and constructed "traditional" christianity, if there is such a thing.
ok everything up to this point is worth commenting on...the rest is purely subjective, so ill leave it as ur opinion (no offense).

what u MUST realise is that when u take a reading of a text, u are no longer looking at it from its original context, and thus some derivations of meaning or apparent meaning are created. You MUST look at it as an entire text, if u intend to do that...you cANNOT pick and choose and say "this suits my argument so ill use it" - that is just retarded.
u have to look at it in the context of the day and THEN in ur own context if u wish to do so. the meaning then has not changed, only ur perception of what it COULD mean now...does that make sense? its all relative. u cannot change the perception then, only how it affects u as a person. whether this is right or not is another subjective issue, and likely to get catty if it is undertaken... i'd rather not go thru that path if i can avoid it. the readings taken should be by people who are in the know...you CANNOT read the bible and say it means "this and this", because u are only looking from a narrow perspective...then again the people in the know cannot make shit up...or reinterpret it to suit themselves...personally i think the change in stance of the church on homosexuality is a travesty. u CANNOT change ur religion to accomodate changing social trends...that's is sssoooo stupid cos then y have a religion in the first place if ur going to ignore it? whether u believe that ur religion is right or not is up to you.

re-interpreting the bible falls under the same argument as above...u CANNOT go around saying this is what i believe this means...if u can do that write ur own book! there is no difference between rewriting or re-inventing god in ur own context by basing it on another - u may aswell re-invent christianity. there is no right answer in this debate, only opinions. actually there is an answer, but its highly debatable, so its good as not being there. this is my belief, anf feel free to argue...i like ppl who argue constructively... :p

Sophie777

I'd like to revive the thread So.. here's another question...

Do you think it is reasonable for christians to claim if someone had a gun at their heads and said "Are you a christian, I will shoot if you are" that they would say yes?

sub

Sophie777 said:
I'd like to revive the thread So.. here's another question...

Do you think it is reasonable for christians to claim if someone had a gun at their heads and said "Are you a christian, I will shoot if you are" that they would say yes?
i cant anser ur question, but i did ask u some stuff earlier in this thred that u didnt respond to...maybe u might want to tackle them?

sub

Sophie777 said:
Well, I can't answer your questions until you answer mine.
when the hell did this become tit for tat? i cant answer ur question cos im not christian...thats my reasoning...now its ur turn

Sophie777

Yes well I looked and I can't see a question u asked me, so what do u want to know?

My answer to my own question is that I think it is stupid and no person- unless they are insane- would say yes they are christian with a bullet to their head.

sub

Sophie777 said:
Yes well I looked and I can't see a question u asked me, so what do u want to know?

My answer to my own question is that I think it is stupid and no person- unless they are insane- would say yes they are christian with a bullet to their head.
personally i would die for my religion. but given the circumstances i am allowed to say no...if it is to save myself, however, i am not compelled to say no either...
from a religious perspective, life on earth is brief...and nothing compared to the afterlife...then again this is just a belief...so if i am rong it may be for nothing. however, in this world without a belief in the afterlife what are u living for? why do u exist? is there a purpose? dont say procreation, thats as stupid as they come. u are not here to procreate otherwise all u'd be doing all day would be confined to the bedroom... there is much more to it than that...i will search now and find the q i asked...

sub

check page 9...there are two for u that u didnt respond to...thats to sophie
one about the term god, and the other about seeming weird

Sophie777

What the hell? As if the existence of a God actually gives life purpose. It is sad that you think that that is what give you purpose as I can find purpose outside of this. You don't live for your life just to be with God in like 100 years. That is so not what it is about. I mean, really, after an hour in heaven with everyone being all nice to people- what the hell would you do? Nothing.

Life has a purpose, help people, love people, get a job, have a family, have a life outside of religion. Religion only gives you a feeling of purpose that is not in actual fact any more real than my purpose.

Sophie777

Yes ok to your definition of 'God' and seeming weird. I can't see any question marks! Ask me again!

sub

ummm, im out for today...my head hurts...i actually just wanted some feedback or comment on the post...that was all...cos atleast the thread could be saved from extinction...but if u dont want to...whatever...
hope someone else joins the thread...anyways, im off for today...be back thurs...cya and goodluck :p

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Sophie777 said:
Life has a purpose, help people, love people, get a job, have a family, have a life outside of religion. Religion only gives you a feeling of purpose that is not in actual fact any more real than my purpose.
Religion endorses in the fact that life has a purpose, help people, love people, get a job, have a family, have a life. (not particularly outside religion. It just so happens that its under Christianity and explores other moralities, discourses, etc in society, while believing in God. The difference is that we believe that God gave this opportunity as a gift (so we can not take it for granted) and although many atheists don't take life for granted, I completely agree.

It's only upsetting when someone labels Christianity as "wrong" without thoroughly going through its discourses, values, morals etc.

sub

Sophie777 said:
What the hell? As if the existence of a God actually gives life purpose. It is sad that you think that that is what give you purpose as I can find purpose outside of this. You don't live for your life just to be with God in like 100 years. That is so not what it is about. I mean, really, after an hour in heaven with everyone being all nice to people- what the hell would you do? Nothing.

again u start to argue something that is subjective...it is my belief...feel free to argue, but u'll get nowhere. also with trying to imagine heaven...have u ever seen it? have u gone there to say that its boring...ur drawing on useless generalisations, which is sad in itself. u CANNOT argue subjective things...and stuff u obviously cannot comprehend...note i am not calling u a simpleton, i cannot comprehend heaven, as we cannot experience something like it. refer to the door knocking example i gave earlier.
again with the second paragraph, that is YOUR view...and is noted and respected, but u are not offering any more evidence for ur belief than i have. can u prove that life's purpose is to help people? to love people? the argument is flawed. religion gives u a sense of purpose - true
however, it is what gives u the values and YOUR purpose for life (again subjective). no it is not any more real than ur purpose, only because at the moment i am unable to prove to u the existence of god. once u get that everything falls into place. can u justify YOUR purpose as the right one? u cant and wont be able to, because it IS subjective. thats like saying my favourite colour is red...which it probably isnt, but just as an example. i cant justify my choice, and any attempt to do so would be ridiculed. "i like it because it rminds me of love" - for example would be shot down by communism... ur argument in that point is not valid...there is NO WAY u can argue a subjective without something that totally without any doubt shows a better way. if u base this "better way" from ur own opinions u r only propagating a limited view on the topic. u need something greater...even a bunch of ppl wouldnt cut it. i dont see why u are intent on debating my beliefs...note no offense was taken, but ur argument of trying to assert ur beliefs over mine is not a valid argument, because ur argument is just as subjective as mine.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sub please go back to that other religious post. I'm arguing with unintelligent people....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)