religion and sex before marriage - REDONE (2 Viewers)

will you have sex before marriage and are you religious

• yes i will have sex before, i am NOT religious

Votes: 112 39.6%
  • yes i will have sex before, i AM religious

Votes: 69 24.4%
  • no i will not have sex before, i am NOT religious

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • no i will not have sex before, i AM religious

Votes: 84 29.7%

• Total voters

Sophie777

If you know you have found your soulmate, then it matters not if you have sex with them now or in the year when you get married. Even if you don't get married, the value of the closeness of a sexual relationship is so great that it cannot be diminished by the fact that there was no marriage. A ring and promise is nothing, what if you realise when you have sex later that they suck at it, or that they repulse you. It should be something known before marriage.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Sophie777 said:
If you know you have found your soulmate, then it matters not if you have sex with them now or in the year when you get married. Even if you don't get married, the value of the closeness of a sexual relationship is so great that it cannot be diminished by the fact that there was no marriage. A ring and promise is nothing, what if you realise when you have sex later that they suck at it, or that they repulse you. It should be something known before marriage.
i think that is fair enough if you dont have christian beliefs and i think it is time that christians acknowledge that other people shouldnt be made to feel bad for having sex before marriage. it is very condescending and arrogant. this is a reflection on religiousness not what God teaches however so i feel it is a flaw in modern christianity.

to have sex before marriage (as a christian) is wrong as it is part of your beliefs not to have sex before marriage.

I do disagree with what you said earlier about logic. not everything in this world is logical and there is more to this world than science etc. there is a spiritual side to this world (no one christian or non christian can deny that they dont have spirituality) that cant be explained by science. To become a christian is not a way to find answers to the worlds problems and chaos. It fills a spiritual hole and has the ability to complete you in a sense. Christianity or belief in christ does not answer everyones questions about life so to believe in God for this reason does reflect insecurity. It is much deeper than logic. i'd been through this whole logic thing myself, and then it all seemed extemely insignificant to me. there was something deeper.

Sophie777

Something deeper. But you can't say that is real. Hence you can say that you have an inner fulfillment that there someone watching over you. But I am arguing not that there is no God but that christianity is devoid of any ability to logically explain the world. Come on, how easy is it to say someone created it in 7 days, there is a purpose to life and follow all these rules and you'll be fine. I feel It lacks a deeper substance or anything that is relevant to now. I do not believe that we are in a cosmic void.

Tell me, what is there in this world that I believe in that is illogical?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Sophie777 said:
I'm sick of feeling looked down upon by the christians around me that I know. I just want people to accept that no belief based on a 'spiritual choice' rather than logic can possible be more valuable than that based on numbers, science, dates and facts. Just because you say you have 'eternal life' and a relationship with God does not make you a better person. Being a good person is about being a good person, not being a christian.

I am not attacking you, just attacking the people that make me angry that I know.
not everything is logical and based on science. there's no logical explanation as to how the world started from ...nothing?

that said it's not right for anyone to look down on anyone else and it's not fair that you feel looked down on. yes religion or no religion people are all equal.

Sophie777

Thats what someone already said.

I asked, what is there that I believe that is illogical?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Sophie777 said:
Thats what someone already said.

I asked, what is there that I believe that is illogical?
that someone was me. :D

It's just faith...

This is a weird example but.... I mean, some people believe that they will find their true love. Logically they don't know for sure, because there is no way they can. They have no proof whatsoever. But its faith. It's hope. And telling them they have no proof and that their faith is illogical could shatter them. Its a faith, and they're well aware that there is no proof, hence a faith or a belief, not a law.

Do you kinda get what I'm saying??? I don't particularly see Christianity as something to explain the world. Logic explains the world, I agree. But I see Christianity as something to turn to. I know you must turn to SOMETHING in times of crisis, whether it be calling a friend, or calling an ambulance, whatever.

I had the strongest need to pray when my dad went to hospital. It's a form of hope, regardless of its logic. It doesn't EXPLAIN why dad's still breathing, but it was comforting for me, and a way to give myself hope. Alternatively, if you were in my situation, you would've done something else. It's just a faith.

osk

HSC
Hey people,

Just a couple of points I'd like to reply to.

Don't you think that in a way, becoming a christian because you feared death and needed an explanation for the world is you accepting that you actually didn't have faith at all but you turned to christianity for answers, as a means of escaping the harsh reality of the world humans have created?
Yes definately! Why would I not want to take an option which allows me to make sense of the chaos in this world. Remember, Christianity offers no physical saefty from this....only spiritual salvation....how then can I be escaping?

Oh and just a question that I want answered with LOGIC.

If christianity is correct- how do you logically know this?

Then, why are there so many different religions? How can these people ALL be wrong and you be right? And, if this is the case, then it must be pretty simple to make up an entire religion and force people to follow it due to fear. Hence, couldn't then christianity be made up? Or whatever religion you believe to be true. And if you have any doubt in the truth of your religion if you operate on LOGIC, then how can you truly have faith?
Firstly, Christianity is absolutely unique amongst religions in that it emphasises what God has done to save us, not what we can do to save ourselves. All other religions are based our actions to ensure salvation. And about logic. I would have to agree that Christianity has much logic in it. These are but a few questions you may like to consider:

How do you account for the vast archaeological documentation of Biblical stories, places, and people?

Since absolutely NO Bible prophecy has ever failed (and there are hundreds), how can one realistically remain unconvinced that the Bible is of Divine origin?

Wouldn't it make better sense, even pragmatically, to live as though the God of the Bible does exist than as though He doesn't?

If Jesus' resurrection was faked, why would twelve intelligent men (Jesus' disciples) have died for what they knew to be a lie?

Are you aware that every alleged Bible contradiction has been answered in an intelligible and credible manner?

Why and how has the Bible survived and even flourished in spite of centuries of worldwide attempts to destroy and ban its message?

How do you explain the empty tomb of Jesus in light of all the evidence that has now proven essentially irrefutable for twenty centuries?

How did 35-40 men, spanning 1500 years and living on three separate continents, ever manage to author one unified message, i.e. the Bible?

As you can see, there is much logic to Christianity. i'm sure you base logic on evidence....well now u have it. And Sohpie....do you really think that being bad at sex is a reason to end a marriage? By what you say, It sounds like you believe that having Sex before marrage is the only was to determine whether a person is right for you or not. Surely there are other ways of getting to know someone before marriage. Sex is not everything in a marriage either.

sub

osk said:
Hey people,

Firstly, Christianity is absolutely unique amongst religions in that it emphasises what God has done to save us, not what we can do to save ourselves. All other religions are based our actions to ensure salvation. And about logic. I would have to agree that Christianity has much logic in it. These are but a few questions you may like to consider:

How do you account for the vast archaeological documentation of Biblical stories, places, and people?

Since absolutely NO Bible prophecy has ever failed (and there are hundreds), how can one realistically remain unconvinced that the Bible is of Divine origin?

Are you aware that every alleged Bible contradiction has been answered in an intelligible and credible manner?

Why and how has the Bible survived and even flourished in spite of centuries of worldwide attempts to destroy and ban its message?
could u please supply a source for this "information" u propagate...? especially the one i bolded...thnx

sub

ur_inner_child said:
Someone Deconstruct My Post Please!!!
wow ur enjoying this debate...i would join, but im not christian, hence anything i say would be called biased :( which is probably true.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sub said:
wow ur enjoying this debate...i would join, but im not christian, hence anything i say would be called biased :( which is probably true.
Yeah I really do enjoy it!! I think it's to do with the fact that I've been atheist as well as christian.... and I like those people who can sustain a good arguement and leave me stumped.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Christianity is only out dated because nobody wants to follow Christ...

But thats the same with all religions i guess... If muslims were commited to living the koran, or people listened to Ghandi then the world would be a completely different place. But its easy to say your something but not live like you are.

In my opinion, christians today have become lazy. Some people get into the mind frame that they are saved no matter what they do, which is true, but you cant show someone you love them if you dont put effort into the relationship.

For so long it seems we've lacked the motivation to live christianity, and because of that noone knows what christianity is... We're just a bunch of nay sayers pointing our fingers at anything we personally dont agree with saying "God doesnt want you to do this, He certainly doesnt like that"... God already gave his opinion on what he wants and we'd be better off to listen to it!

Genesis 2:24 said:
For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
By this definition, the very moment you have sex with someone you are married to them. Not when you go through some fancy ceremony. So technically you cant have sex before marriage. But that also means if you have sex with one person, then go and have sex with another, you are breaking the terms of marriage. And as Malachi 2:16 starts:

"I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel
Showing thats not what God wants.

And shown again by Jesus:

Matthew 5:27-28 said:
"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
The commitment i am called to is to have a sexual love one person and one person only. The one i have sex with is my wife, and if I desire another woman, then I'm not living how I am called to live. I dont care if people feel sorry for me because I know that the person I do love gets ALL my love. Everything I have to offer is hers :)

That doesnt mean Im perfect... far from it. But God's grace is like a safety net to catch me when I fall. It would be stupid for a tight rope walker to never leave the saftey net because they are probably going to fall. So its stupid for me to live relying completely on grace to get me through. Although it will do that, thats not what its there for.

If you're are thinking that this is stupid because you should experience other people before you settle down, then you go do that. Only christians are bound by the guidelines that Christ told us to live by. I can't force the values of what I believe onto someone who doesnt believe it.

All I can do is put effort into living the life I am called to live. I am convinced of what i believe, and I know that christianity is relevant today... if only christians would live it :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Someone read Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. Vampire story that deconstructs and critisizes Christianity for its control, constructs, enforcement, etc, but in the end sees value in it in the way it was meant to be. Its my "Bible" so to speak. It did to me the way Lisa Simpson values Jebediah Springfield.

I've used that example a hundred times, but that's the only example I've got!

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
to start with i'm too lazy to read the last few pgs, let alone the last one. but my thoughts on Christianity are that it should be taken in a modern context. I disagree with tha the Bible shoul be taken word for word. It's God's word, so he knew what ppl would one day be like. he knew we'd end up outdating the bible, so he meant for it to be interpreted for society at the time. So if u take the Bible in todays context, I think the key elements that we must remember is not to worry if someone else has a different belief to u. In the long run, it's the person you should judge, not their belief.
<<ramble, ramble, ramble>>
any q's less then 20 lines long, i'd be happy to give my opinion... :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Dougie said:
to start with i'm too lazy to read the last few pgs, let alone the last one. but my thoughts on Christianity are that it should be taken in a modern context. I disagree with tha the Bible shoul be taken word for word. It's God's word, so he knew what ppl would one day be like. he knew we'd end up outdating the bible, so he meant for it to be interpreted for society at the time. So if u take the Bible in todays context, I think the key elements that we must remember is not to worry if someone else has a different belief to u. In the long run, it's the person you should judge, not their belief.
<<ramble, ramble, ramble>>
any q's less then 20 lines long, i'd be happy to give my opinion... :)
I wanna hug you so bad. You're the only one in this site that sees the same way I do!

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
I think if we all did a little research into ancient greek culture wed be surprised by how similar our cultures are...

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
or the other one with enough interlect... how many idiots r on this forum anyway!
anyway, there MUST be others out there who think what we do. we could just follow the modern trend and start our own denomination!!!

maybe not :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)