• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Relationships & HSC (1 Viewer)

Should couples split for exams?

• Yes

Votes: 242 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,279 66.6%
  • Depends on the workload

Votes: 399 20.8%

• Total voters

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
i have friends who are staying away from relationships this year :uhhuh:
i don't think it matters, really... as long as you have a bf/gf who understands what you're going through ^^
my bf helps me a lot with studying, he distracted me a lot last year, but this year he knows and understands that i have to study a lot, be pissed off for no reason sometimes... etc... :)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i know of someone who broke up with their bf for the hsc so she could study - she ended up with a uai of 79
i started mine at the end of term 1 yr 12 and i got 83. i guess it depends on how you use ur time

_Amie_

HSC
If you're in a stable relationship, then the stupidest thing to do during the HSC is break up with your bf/gf. They can be there to support you, to encourage you, to help you through all the stress and shit of the exams. You don't want to be worrying about your relationship during that time, so 'taking a break' is just idiotic. If its a good relationship, then you'll both understand what happening to each other, and be able to work through it all.

Scanorama

HSC
Katie123 said:
i know of someone who broke up with their bf for the hsc so she could study - she ended up with a uai of 79
She obviously didn't take the relationship serious enough.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i did my hsc last yr
i had one bf for the best part of the year...he was younger, so he didnt understand what i was going through & therefore was taking up all my time (even if it was just spending ages on the phone)...broke that off mid-august, after majorly stuffing up my trials and having crap all time for working on my pip, as well as being majorly bored (but that's another story i guess)
had another bf during the hsc...that was a really good thing for me. he was the year above me (knew what i was going through) and he made me study. we obviously didnt have that much time together (syd-gong r'ship), but imo. the whole relationship was definitely worth it (eventhough it ended mid-jan)

milrock

HSC
Do you find relationships destracting during the HSC?

I have been with my boy for just over 8 months now and I used to see him like 3 or 4 times a week but now I am in my HSC year and he is doing some advanced course in some computer institute somewhere so we basically jst have the weekend to see each other, but on weekends I usually have a million things to do and I just seem to be running out of time! I love him and that isnt the issue at all, but its just hard maintaining a balance with everything, making sure that I am happy and that I get to see him but also ensure that I am getting all my work done.

Does anyone else find this?

Its also hard for us becuase he lives so far away (he lives in hurstville and I live in the Frenchs Forest area)

HSC
milrock said:
I have been with my boy for just over 8 months now and I used to see him like 3 or 4 times a week but now I am in my HSC year and he is doing some advanced course in some computer institute somewhere so we basically jst have the weekend to see each other, but on weekends I usually have a million things to do and I just seem to be running out of time! I love him and that isnt the issue at all, but its just hard maintaining a balance with everything, making sure that I am happy and that I get to see him but also ensure that I am getting all my work done.

Does anyone else find this?

Its also hard for us becuase he lives so far away (he lives in hurstville and I live in the Frenchs Forest area)
I had some trouble with adjusting to this initially, but at the end of the day it's just a matter of being realistic about things. Seeing as there just isn't enough time to be with each other as much as you want AND study and work, etc, it becomes a matter of priorities.

Essentially what it came down to, for me, is realising that while it's great to spend time together with my partner, the most pressing concern at the moment (For both of us) is doing well in our studies. We still make time to see each other as often as we can, and while it's still not as often as we'd like, it's better than nothing, and at the end of the day we'll have plenty of time once we've finished at Uni.

I guess I probably would have struggled with this approach if it went this way earlier in the relationship, but in a long-term relationship you realise that even if you don't see each other every day things will still be just the same when you do get around to it next time. Not really ideal, but for the moment it will do. Good things come to those who wait, as they say :)

milrock

HSC
Yeah well I consider 8 months entering the long term so I know feelings wont change. Thats not the issue at all, we r both very committed to each other and everything. Its just a matter of adjusting to not always having someone there when u need them because u r both busy now and wont have as much time for each other. But yeah.. I just miss him I guess, and I know he feels the same.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
smiths Hill high mate, i doubt u know who it is, but its a pretty common scenario to play out. iam glad u guys have reaffirmed my beleifs on the topic, i always thought a relationship would be positive during HSC [and yes the people both in yr12 so the understand like study and all] but u gotta keep control of it and keep a balance, not just spend all ure time with loved one

so yeah.. stable relationship during HSC with understanding partner = good

unstable relationship with unsympathetic partner, or person who cannot balance work and time with partner leads to bad marks in HSC and detrimental effect on life = bad

basically a normal relationship is good during HSC

khandigirl

psychotic wench
HSC
lol try doing the HSC with a b.f who didnt bother doing his HSC...... gets interesting... v. difficult :(

meh.

good luck to all those in relationship + HSC land lol

claire

HSC
how much time do/did everyone give their bfs/gfs? how much time is too much time during the week? how often were yous able to see them?

bri

HSC
i have been with my man for nearly 5 months.
i was seeing him nearly everyday and now i am so so so behind, my parents are going nuts and he cant understand why i cant still see him everyday.its really hard.
i love him, but i wish i'd spaced myself and i wish i'd gotten my work done when i had the chance,
coz now im going to go really bad????

ANYONE???????

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
jumb said:
You're 17 or 18 years old, you don't know what love is yet.
Thank you Captain Obvious, but you forgot to answer the question.

Yeah you are screwed. Screwed over. And all because of some guy you'll break up with before the HSC is over :\

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
jebbie said:
Thank you Captain Obvious, but you forgot to answer the question.

Yeah you are screwed. Screwed over. And all because of some guy you'll break up with before the HSC is over :\
Fine. I say, you have your whole life ahead of you and it's not worth stuffing up your HSC for a guy. Your parents know best, and you only have to stay with them for about 6 more months.

Besides who cares about him, there's more fish in the sea.

HSC
well ive been with my bf for 2 years now and we see each other once or twice a week but talk most nights bout 20 mins or so.....is that too much? its def hard to balance everything when they dont truly understand.... what do yous do? at what age does someone know what love is though?

bri

HSC
oh okay
and i suppose you know whether i love him or not hey....
im sorry, i thought i might know who i love but obviously i was wrong..
should i consult you before pursuing any further contact with him????

HSC
bri said:
oh okay
and i suppose you know whether i love him or not hey....
im sorry, i thought i might know who i love but obviously i was wrong..
should i consult you before pursuing any further contact with him????

who was that aimed for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)