Regarding half marks in 'percentage-d marks' (1 Viewer)

kiniki

HSC
So for my 2u maths exam that I just had, it weighed 10%. I fucked it up pretty bad and got 30/40. Now, i was absolutely devestated by this and it really demoralised me for 3 unit. Then my friend pointed out, if you got it down to the weighted 10% (you get what i mean?) I got essentially, 7.5/10. She argued that since there is no half marks in the HSC, it's rounded up to the nearest whole mark. So I got 8/10

Now, 8/10 is a whole lot better than 30/40 and i think this means i'm only two marks behind 1st place.

Same goes for english, I got 25/30 (grrr) when I had been expecting something much higher. It was weighted 15%, and this averages out to 12.5/15.

Which, with my logic thus far, means I got 13/15 and my rank of 21st is two marks off the 1st rank.

Is this all right? Is that how half marks work, or even percentages? My friend is adamant that that's how it is, and i'm PRAYING that's the system, because otherwise my hopes of getting 90+ ATAR haven't been so dented!

Feedback would be appreciated :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So for my 2u maths exam that I just had, it weighed 10%. I fucked it up pretty bad and got 30/40. Now, i was absolutely devestated by this and it really demoralised me for 3 unit. Then my friend pointed out, if you got it down to the weighted 10% (you get what i mean?) I got essentially, 7.5/10. She argued that since there is no half marks in the HSC, it's rounded up to the nearest whole mark. So I got 8/10

Now, 8/10 is a whole lot better than 30/40 and i think this means i'm only two marks behind 1st place.

Same goes for english, I got 25/30 (grrr) when I had been expecting something much higher. It was weighted 15%, and this averages out to 12.5/15.

Which, with my logic thus far, means I got 13/15 and my rank of 21st is two marks off the 1st rank.

Is this all right? Is that how half marks work, or even percentages? My friend is adamant that that's how it is, and i'm PRAYING that's the system, because otherwise my hopes of getting 90+ ATAR haven't been so dented!

Feedback would be appreciated :)
Each school does this their way but I think most would only round up or down at the very end of the assessment period.

In other words, at the moment the 7.5/10 and 12.5/15 are your weighted marks but at the end of the assessments if say you are on 89.5 is will round to 90.

However you might get another .5 mark which would then even the two out. So if on the next task your weighted mark is 18.5/20 you would be on 26/30 whereas if you were rounded up both times you would be on 27/30 which would be unfair on the student who got 8/10 and 19/20 as then you would both be even when that other student should be ahead of you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)