Refugees leach over half a billion dollars of tax payer money in the last 24 months (1 Viewer)

banco55

HSC
Re: Refugees leach over half a billion dollars of tax payer money in the last 24 mont

Once again, the problem is obviously the welfare state.

People would not want to come to Australia without welfare, free education, free healthcare ect unless they were prepared to work hard.

If they are prepared to work hard, we should be welcoming them with open arms.

I can already pre-empt the usual nonsense people will bring up about overcrowding. If too many people come, the price of land will rise and immigration flows will slow as people look for cheaper places to live. These rising property prices will of course be a huge boon to people who currently live in Australia who own property, or have shares in many companies or who have superannuation.
This is your libertarian make believe land. Firstly what Australians who are used to low living densities think is overcrowded and what someone from the slums of calcutta considers to be overcrowding are probably quite different things. Secondly there's for all intents and purposes an endless stream of wanna be immigrants. Maybe some of them will decide they are going to go to Western Europe because of course it's much easier to find less crowded places there but enough would still want to come here.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Re: Refugees leach over half a billion dollars of tax payer money in the last 24 mont

I was thinking about this whole illegal immigrant/boat ppl issue the other day.
If I were to own a house and have a family, then a hobo knocks on my door and asks to move in because his current living conditions are fucked, i'd feel sorry for him, and i'd want to help out.
If i accepted him into my house, i'd have to pay for his food, extra toiletries, extra living expenses, etc.
THEN other hobo's would see that ive accepted him into my house, then they'd ask to stay over my place too.
What if you were really, really rich and there was a horrible storm where every house but yours got smashed. If one of them came to your doorstep, you couldn't refuse could you? I mean you could go and build signs saying "DO NOT COME" but if a few actually came, you wouldn't have the heart to say no.
Unless you're a monster.

I don't think the refugees are the problem, it's the handing out of the money (which has been said already).
roads engineer said:
I for one support the refugees that come to live in Australia, but they're using up too much of our money. I mean, find some alternative, maybe give them less money or create a money lending program.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A

This is your libertarian make believe land. Firstly what Australians who are used to low living densities think is overcrowded and what someone from the slums of calcutta considers to be overcrowding are probably quite different things.
Potential refugees might not think the population density is too high, but they won't be able to find anywhere they can afford to live. They can't increase the housing density if they can't afford property. They have no means to increase the housing density.

Secondly there's for all intents and purposes an endless stream of wanna be immigrants. Maybe some of them will decide they are going to go to Western Europe because of course it's much easier to find less crowded places there but enough would still want to come here.
So? What's bad about having them here if we aren't forced to provide them with anything?

Why will they want to come here if they won't be provided with anything? To work and generate productivity perhaps?

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC

This is your libertarian make believe land.
Not really, the gradual elimination of the welfare state is a worthwhile, achievable goal. Having almost no welfare seemed to work pretty well for the United States for about 200 years.

Firstly what Australians who are used to low living densities think is overcrowded and what someone from the slums of calcutta considers to be overcrowding are probably quite different things.
People are free to chose where they live. If some parts of Australia become too densely populated for some people's liking, they are free to sell their homes (most likely for a tidy profit due to the increased demand) and to move somewhere more suited to their tastes. Even in India and China there are sparsely populated areas.

Secondly there's for all intents and purposes an endless stream of wanna be immigrants. Maybe some of them will decide they are going to go to Western Europe because of course it's much easier to find less crowded places there but enough would still want to come here.
You miss the point. They may want to come here, but at a certain point they will simply not be able to afford it.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

Australia must stop taking in refugees. Come to Australia legally or not at all.
By law (the UN Convention on the Status of Refugees), all refugees are arriving here legally.

It's true that we detain people who don't have documentation so their claims can be assessed, but under Australian law, being an unauthorised immigrant isn't a criminal offence, so people who arrive here without visas are not breaking the law, merely making themselves liable to deportation if it turns out they're not eligible to remain in Australia.

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC

he added that studies had shown that refugees tend to have repaid all their costs within 17 years
sounds like a bargain to me

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

The welfare system is the problem.
Of course. But what's more likely: We get the government to change their whole welfare system and lose potentially millions of votes, OR, we get them to stop accepting refugees which are new welfare leeches, a policy that a huge number of Australians agree with?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

Because this is our country, not theirs. They came here, then our money is needed to support them. They dont have a job and get all this money per week for basic necessities.

If I were to own a house and have a family, then a hobo knocks on my door and asks to move in because his current living conditions are fucked, i'd feel sorry for him, and i'd want to help out.
If i accepted him into my house, i'd have to pay for his food, extra toiletries, extra living expenses, etc.
THEN other hobo's would see that ive accepted him into my house, then they'd ask to stay over my place too.

Kinda that, but very large scale.
Like i said before, we dont have a perfect country with a perfect education system, perfect medical system, 0% unemployment, 0% debt, and perfect government.
We should use our money to better our own country first.
(this is HALF A BILLION DOLLARS that's been spent on refugee's in the past 2 years, a lot could've been done to better our own country with that money)

If we accept 1 boat of ppl, and reject another, they'd complain as to why we accepted the others. Maybe a fight will break out, then different ppl would get blamed.

The blame goes to the leaders of the countries that ppl are getting away from, but this doesnt mean we should accept them (boat ppl) when we need to spend a lot of our own money just to give them basic necessities.

It sounds harsh, i know, but basically.. charity begins at home.
you are an idiot.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

yea my post is pretty overboard, but we're spending too much money on refugees imo.

ay0_x

HSC

Australia's liquor industry makes 8 billion a year... Really, half a billion to help refugees, 8 billion towards booze... We're (were?) refugees. Mum pays about 100K a year in tax. Pretty sure we're paying our due and then some.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

Australia's liquor industry makes 8 billion a year... Really, half a billion to help refugees, 8 billion towards booze... We're (were?) refugees. Mum pays about 100K a year in tax. Pretty sure we're paying our due and then some.
Cool.

Why don't you go back home then

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC

Of course. But what's more likely: We get the government to change their whole welfare system and lose potentially millions of votes, OR, we get them to stop accepting refugees which are new welfare leeches, a policy that a huge number of Australians agree with?
Well all refugees are not welfare leeches. Does anyone actually know if in aggregate they increase or decrease government revenues?

Even if they are a net liability to government revenues, it may still be more expensive to spend so much money patrolling the borders and locking them in detention centers for years.

Surely a more humane, cheaper, politically achievable solution would be to allow refugees into the country, but exclude them from access to the welfare system.

Last edited:

1337z4u12

HSC

too right.

Xenophobia is a ugly face that seems prominent in Australia. WE just happen to have been born in Australia, unlike 99.99% of the global population. Its easy to sit here... but I would like to see anyone step into the shoes of these refugees; the absolute devastation, starvation and violence they are fleeing.
Of course that there needs to be regulations in place for immigration; however it has been highlighted that the problem does not lie in Australia's ability to accept asylum seekers.
Half a billion is hardy much when you put the entire Australian budget in perspective.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A

What's plainly missing from the data is how much other groups comparatively claim in welfare.

It's easy to single out refugees, but without other data we don't know if the average refugee claims more than anyone else.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC

What's plainly missing from the data is how much other groups comparatively claim in welfare.

It's easy to single out refugees, but without other data we don't know if the average refugee claims more than anyone else.
They almost certainly do claim more welfare (and I don't mean that in a disparaging way) because they come here with very little skills, poor education, and are often unable to speak English.

Although I am opposed to welfare, quite frankly I'd rather see it go to these genuinely needy people than bogan Aussies who spend the money on booze, pokies and smokes.

The real question is whether overall, refugees contribute more to the economy that what they cost. If as I suspect is the case, they make a net contribution to the economy, the whole leeching of welfare argument falls apart anyway since the extra welfare expense is more than covered by the extra taxation revenue from the refugees who do work.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

They almost certainly do claim more welfare (and I don't mean that in a disparaging way) because they come here with very little skills, poor education, and are often unable to speak English.

Although I am opposed to welfare, quite frankly I'd rather see it go to these genuinely needy people than bogan Aussies who spend the money on booze, pokies and smokes.

The real question is whether overall, refugees contribute more to the economy that what they cost. If as I suspect is the case, they make a net contribution to the economy, the whole leeching of welfare argument falls apart anyway since the extra welfare expense is more than covered by the extra taxation revenue from the refugees who do work.
Umm what makes you say they have little skills and poor education?

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC

Umm what makes you say they have little skills and poor education?
It was just a generalization. We were talking about refugees as a group. Since they come from poor countries, and often their skills are not recognized here, on average they would be less educated and less equipped to work in the Australian workforce than Australian citizens.

ay0_x

HSC

Cool.

Why don't you go back home then

Wtf are you on about you cunt? I live here so obviously Australia is 'home'. Asshole.

I was making the point that either refugees or their children or grandchildren will give back to the Australian economy at some stage. 1/2 a billion. wow. Like I said, it's 1/16th of what Aussies spend on booze.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A

Because this is our country, not theirs. They came here, then our money is needed to support them. They dont have a job and get all this money per week for basic necessities.

Kinda that, but very large scale.
Like i said before, we dont have a perfect country with a perfect education system, perfect medical system, 0% unemployment, 0% debt, and perfect government.
We should use our money to better our own country first.
(this is HALF A BILLION DOLLARS that's been spent on refugee's in the past 2 years, a lot could've been done to better our own country with that money)

If we accept 1 boat of ppl, and reject another, they'd complain as to why we accepted the others. Maybe a fight will break out, then different ppl would get blamed.

The blame goes to the leaders of the countries that ppl are getting away from, but this doesnt mean we should accept them (boat ppl) when we need to spend a lot of our own money just to give them basic necessities.

It sounds harsh, i know, but basically.. charity begins at home.
lol. its not your country. You dont own squat anymore than I do. Who is the government to stop anyone from coming to this country? The state does not own this land and whatever land that the state does own has been acquired by coercive mechanisms. .

Last edited:

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A

4/10 Australian families pay no income tax, so y'know, making a net contribution to the economy is old hat.

Four in 10 families pay no tax | The Australian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)