Reflections on years 7-10 (1 Viewer)

militiaman

HSC
Was it all worth it? Basically reflecting on your high school studies over the past 3 years and looking at moving on to the HSC.

From my own experience I would say that it went nowhere near the full potential of what I could have learnt from years 7-10.

English was probably the most pointless subject. Apart from minor text studies I don't think I've progressed much here from year 7.

Maths I think is maths, you either think it's useful or not. Personally I think it was a positive experience, definitely will at least help in higher studying of the subject. I think it has many pratical values as well.

Science failed me over the past 2 years, more on account of the lack of proper teaching. A lot of the stuff I learnt in year 7-8 was just rehashed on expanded upon minimally. Has it taught me something? Definitely to an extent, I would say I have a greater knowledge and understanding of science, just that it could have been better.

History & Geography are good subjects in theory, yet put into practice they have not been taught very well. History has been very dry in every year, especially the last two with Australian history. History is an area in which I excel in, but the knowledge given to students over 3 whole years is minimal/insignificant and stuff they'll probably forget. Geography definitely dropped the ball in terms of covering the area such as world geography. So much could have been taught on other countries and cultures around the world, but in the end it is delivered in the same poor fashion.

Well, those are my main reflections, looking forward to reading some of yours :D

amberangel

Anonymous
HSC
I would post a nice longwinded thing, but it's wayy to late for me to be doing this, seriously. I would kind of laugh if I could think coherently.... Ow..

Er...

English - Did okay in Year 7... but slowly got worse. I'm not sure if it was just the teachers or me. I do kind of enjoy it, but analysis is a pain, really... I still can't really tell a metaphor when I see one, or understand poetry... who knows?
Maths - Slowly been dropping classes through the years... Enjoy it... but don't enjoy it. Mixed feelings. Here's a thing I think is true: Maths is in almost everything. I'm serious! Well... notice I said almost...
Science - I understand things better, yes, but I've just spent the last two years not doing much in it. I'd probably go so far as to admit I've been sleeping it them. I hope none of my parents are watching this...
History and Geography - I hate Australia's history. Really. I have no idea why, but it's just our history that gets to me. Bleh. Geography I've been okay at... I can't really explain the annoyed feeling I get from history, even if I have a great teacher this year (I'm very very (or I can use 'extremely' alternatively) sad to say that I really didn't like the way we were taught it last year). Geography has been a bit Meh-ful for me. I'm terrible at the map part of it, really. Not as in using it, but I didn't even know where the Pacific Ocean is (until now, I guess. *shrugs*) so that shows how much I've improved...

Do I feel smarter? Debatable...

Was that long-winded? Hmm. Hey, it's 1... D;

militiaman

HSC
Yeah, the history syllabus is really stuffed.

I really think that much more emphasis through the years should be made about world history (not just ancient either). Let's see, all I'm supposed to know about world history is:

- Egypt
- Native Americans
- Broad medieval period (mostly focused on England)

For 3 years of learning so much more could have been taught.

Coming from a stuffed up public school all I really can say is that we are not learning as much as we should/could be, and this is from the top classes! Who knows what the 'masses' experience.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I think that the junior years (well for me anyways) were stuffed. I couldn't really care less about the stuff we had to learn. It was good though because it allowed me (and I'm guessing others) to slowly develop a study ethic - which I think would be useful in years 11/12 - the years that really count.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I've progressed from maths, formally being my best and easiest subject, being replaced by my new forte, English.

bored of sc

HSC
English was okay for me. Year 7 was very basic, year 8 we got a great teacher who pushed us, year 9 we got a shit teacher who tryed to make us feel bad by rubbing in our faces how good she was at writing. Year 10 (this year) was great for me. I actually learnt how to make sense when I write and it is thanks to my teacher who realised I was trying too hard to sound smart.

Maths has been great throughout the 4 years; year 7 had a great teacher who made learning fun (sorry for being corney), and for years 8, 9 and 10 have had the same teacher who has alllowed me to understand every concept/topic covered to a high level. Maths is sweet.

Science has been getting better for me in terms of performance. Year 7-8 I was a B 70% student but for year 9 and this year I have moved up into 80's and 90's getting more A's. I'm not sure it was the teachers as I had the same teacher for 8 and 10 (8 being my worst year, 10 being my best), but I think I just put my head down and worked.

History has been good throughout high school in terms of grades for me, however the content (as you guys have said) has been very boring (especially Aussie history). But can't complain.

Geography has been okay. Year 7 was fun, more skills and physical geography, but moving into year 8 and year 10 it has been more content and non-physical geog. based. I don't like the content stuff.

Overall, my high school years have been good, especially english and maths as they have taught me skills and concepts I will never forget. However, the others are a bit useless (especially history) and I am glad that hisotry and geography are not my subjects for the HSC. As you have said, it creates good habits for the all important HSC.

HSC
Year 7 and 9 english was useless. I had the same perverted teacher, who didn't teach us anything at all, but let us sit in class do some crap written exercise (EVERY LESSON). I've learnt more this year than those two years combined.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)