Recycled water for drinking: for or against? (1 Viewer)

Recycled water - yes/no?

• Yes

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • Yes - but grey water only

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Are you for or against the use of recycled sewerage water for drinking water? Or, as grey water? Why/why not?

(Grey water usually refers to water for all other uses than drinking - garden irrigation, washing machines, toilets, etc.)

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I also watch catalyst.

People are repulsed by the idea that something they are consuming has directly been through another persons digestive system. It's a general squeamish factor that's holding the technology back. People don't understand or respect the idea that you can break down and separate waste water to it's individual compounds, that there'll be no attached 'yuck' factor left after the water treatment.

I was interested however to see on catalyst the interview with that dissenting professor who had concerns about safety. He did say that it was not an area he had personally researched however...

I think, like any technology, there is an inherent risk. Things constantly go wrong. Sydney's water was famously poisoned for a good period of the 90's. The important thing is to rationally assess the risk, and act appropriately.

What is the worst case scenario of a serious pathogen in the water supply, and what is the risk of this occurring? I suspect it's spectacularly low.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You'd have to be pretty out of the loop to say you'd be against it imo
Toowoomba knocks back recycled water plan

Voters in Queensland's largest inland city of Toowoomba have overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to add recycled effluent to the city's water supply.
Toowoomba residents were asked to approve a plan to draw 25 per cent of the city's water from recycled effluent.

More than 62 per cent of voters said no to the idea in a referendum today.
Toowoomba's Mayor Di Thorley has tonight rejected calls for her to resign over the issue and is calling on Queensland Premier Peter Beattie to help resolve the city's water crisis.

Cr Thorley conceded defeat earlier tonight.
"It looks like the vote has gone down about 60-40," she said.
"At the end of the day, we still don't have a water project."

Lyle Shelton is one of three councillors who campaigned against the proposal and is encouraged by the early result.

"That's probably about what the 'no' case was expecting," he said.
He says he is confident a new solution to the city's water shortage can be found.

Toowoomba knocks back recycled water plan. 29/07/2006. ABC News Online

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I only drink water that has never been used before. Oh wait.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
IF ONLY THERE WAS SOME WAY WE COULD USE THE POWER OF THE SUN TO DISTILL WATER AND DELIVER IT TO A PLACE WHERE WE COULD STORE AND THEN RE USE IT.
lolwut

boris

Banned
HSC
We are in the process of getting $4million of the gov from their stimulus shit.

step 1: get moneys
step 2: build treatmenter to treat waste water and sewerage treatment plant
step 3: pull a mad retic system in our stormwater pipez to pipe the treated water to sportsground and racecourses and other assorted public facilities where we can water shit because people dont want to drink it.
step 4: ?????
step 5: profit

yeah i made the prelim design eh

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
At least Australia's water is better than Africa's
I'll second that. I went to South Africa just over a year ago, no one there drinks the tap water, they all drink spring water or sparkling water. Went to a few restaurants and usually asked for plain tap water - they looked at me like I was crazy.

Recycled water doesn't taste as good as what we currently have in Melbourne, you can definitely taste the chlorine. I have nothing against drinking it though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)