Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Re: Math textbook with worked answers

lacklustre said:
Nah have that textbook; it's terrible in the sense that it gave me a false sense of security and I thought 3u was much easier than it really was. Book is too easy and examples are sparse. Plus the answers are not worked out.

C'mon guys!
Thats precisely what i've realised until recently.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Try Excel books. They're good at explaining, and have some challenging questions. There are also worked answers.

You might also want to look for Terry Lee 3U book. It's got hard questions as well with in-depth explanations for answers.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

lacklustre said:
Nah have that textbook; it's terrible in the sense that it gave me a false sense of security and I thought 3u was much easier than it really was. Book is too easy and examples are sparse. Plus the answers are not worked out.

C'mon guys!
dont underestimate the challenge excercises. You get more working in the MI sections than in cambridge. Next time go ask your maths teacher?

lacklustre

HSC

Kujah said:
Try Excel books. They're good at explaining, and have some challenging questions. There are also worked answers.

You might also want to look for Terry Lee 3U book. It's got hard questions as well with in-depth explanations for answers.
A lot of people say that, but I just don't know where to get it. Also for excel, I haven't heard much about them. Everyone is like "get Cambridge/fitz", not many mention excel. Is this for a reason?

Also asking my teacher too many questions annoys him, he always says: "next lesson" etc. I just wanna understand the hard questions by myself.

VuongstER_boi

HSC

lacklustre said:
Anyboy here know of any maths extension textbook that contains thorough worked solutions (or at least many good examples)? I am sick of trying to find where i went wrong - usually wastes my time. (Cambridge and Fitz esp). I want a book that contains challenging questions also.

Thank you.
heyy, i know one textbook which has ALL FULL-WORKING solutions to ALL questions. It's called Excel Step-by-step hsc guide fast track.( just google it or search on dymocks website). It's like..really good in my opinion cos it guides u throuhg each and every single steps to ur question, so ur confident bout ur setting out. There's the 2 unit one and the three unit one.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides?

MysticalElement said:
Hey.......
Can any1 recommend any Texbooks/Study Guides for any of these subjects.....
This is for prelim course

Agriculture
Biology
Earth and Environmental Science
Standard English
Information Processing Technology

Standard English-
Excel is good to a certain extent.

SoulSearcher said:
The Heinemann one for legal studies is pretty good, Excel tends to elaborate on useless points, haven't seen the Macquarie books yet.
Macquarie study guides are good.

z600 said:
Try Maths in Focus? I know everyone says its a worthless textbook, but it isnt that bad..
Not to my liking, as this person said:
lacklustre said:

C'mon guys!

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Many might diss Excel because they think that its a summary guide. But some of the Excel 2U/3U/4U books are pretty good, in terms of explaining, examples and exercise work. What's good about them is that most of them have worked answers. I suggest you have a look around your local bookstore and see if the Excel suits you or not.
You might want to try a combination of textbooks to guide you.

You can order Terry Lee's textbook from a website that I have forgotten. Maybe someone can help post it up :confused:

lacklustre

HSC

Kujah said:
Many might diss Excel because they think that its a summary guide. But some of the Excel 2U/3U/4U books are pretty good, in terms of explaining, examples and exercise work. What's good about them is that most of them have worked answers.
I'm not really worried about that. I just want to be sure that the questions are challenging (up to standard of something like fitz) with worked answers.

Is Excel like Maths in Focus in that it is too easy?

Kujah

HSC
N/A

SOme questions might be repetitive, but as you progress through the chapter, the questions become more demanding and challenging.

Like I said, go check them out and see what you think of them :)

lacklustre

HSC

Kujah said:
SOme questions might be repetitive, but as you progress through the chapter, the questions become more demanding and challenging.

Like I said, go check them out and see what you think of them :)
Alright I'll give them a go. Would you recommend a title in particular?, there are a few...

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Have a check. I can't seem to get the names, even though some of them are in my cupboard. Well, I can suggest you to definitely not get the Revise in a Month-ers.

Evergreen

HSC

Excel extension maths is very good for revision. i also heard excel physics is good as well.

rusty91

HSC

Hey! Would anyone know and recommend any Adv. english study guides for both the HSC and preliminary course?

slowjam10

HSC

rusty91 said:
Hey! Would anyone know and recommend any Adv. english study guides for both the HSC and preliminary course?
Hey.

well for HSC Adv. English at our school we are going to use a texbook called Textual Journeys and i've had a look over it and it looks pretty good ...it explains all the different techniques composers use and it refers to alot of the common texts studied during the HSC Adv and Ext course...like Blade Runner, Brave New World, Gwen Harwood's poetry etc..

anyway ..hope i was a bit of a help:)

rusty91

HSC

slowjam10 said:
Hey.

well for HSC Adv. English at our school we are going to use a texbook called Textual Journeys and i've had a look over it and it looks pretty good ...it explains all the different techniques composers use and it refers to alot of the common texts studied during the HSC Adv and Ext course...like Blade Runner, Brave New World, Gwen Harwood's poetry etc..

anyway ..hope i was a bit of a help:)
Hey thank you very much. Just wondering, does this text book contain all or a majority of text studied throughout the Eng. course?

nagiha

HSC

none- the textbooks at skool are better.

IMTB

HSC

excels are alright, but personally macquarie is the best...I see u do eco, all the workbooks for eco r worth doing, esp the ones by Riley and Dixon since they correspond to ur school textbooks XD

laurasia

HSC
N/A

sucess one , macquarie , leading edge , top notes , cambridge

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Year 11 Preliminaries Textbook Choices

Hey all! :D. I am planning to study ahead for the year 11 preliminaries as I haven't done well in years 9 and 10 , even though the school certificate means nothing.... So, I'm planning to buy a few preliminary textbooks to work upon in the future, and I won't put them to waste.

Here is a list of textbooks that I need opinions on for my prelims. Any textbooks you think is really good and is not on the list, please mention it on the thread as it will definitely help me and probably others if doing the same subject :):

2U English Advanced:
  • N/A
3U Mathematics Extension 1:
  • Cambridge Mathematics 3 Unit - Bill Pender
  • Excel 2U/3U Mathematics
2U Chemistry:
  • Preliminary dotpoints chemistry
  • Conquering Chemistry
  • Chemistry Contexts
2U Physics:
  • Excel Physics
  • Preliminary dotpoints physics
  • Jacaranda Preliminary Physics
2U Biology:
  • Preliminary dotpoints biology
2U Economics:
  • Updated Economics
  • Leading Edge Economics
I heard dotpoints is only good for revision purposes and if you've started a topic in the subject and gone through it. Is it? I'm in year 10 still atm and wondering if it is.

I am also willing to buy good textbooks that will help in year 11, if sold cheaper in comparison to retail prices. Thank you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)