• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Recommendations (1 Viewer)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Moving into the HSC year, figured I'd get advice from the people who know what they're talking about.

What study materials (and im not just talking about textbooks, any useful media at all is welcome) do you guys recommend for these subjects in particular.

Mathematics
Economics
IPT
Biology

Also, are study guides for english texts worth the money? Can't say I've ever used one before.

^___^
HSC
IPT - its a very theory based subject, so theres a fair amount to memorise. however, you can easily treat it like a practical subject. Try to experience as much things as you can on how computers interact with businesses (afterall, it is what the course is trying to do basically)
The Heinmann textbook is pretty good. But of course, if you want to read extra material, you can always start reading news on the internet relating to computing technology.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Heinemann ive heard are good across the board - i was leaning towards them.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I'll consider it, but I imagine ill learn a lot more making my own.

If its not too much trouble, does anyone have the link to the board of studies template revision timetable/study timetable (I'm not sure of the exact name OR if it even exists - but I've heard reference :p)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Re English Study guides I'd say no:
1. They are very general, the analysis is pretty basic, though if you are stuck on ideas they can help a lil
2. Often the people who write them mark for the HSC (so if you copy out slabs they will know)
3. Heaps of people buy them and use them so markers will notice that that exact sentence has appeared in 100s of essays
4. I have a few and never used them

If you are going to buy them (this goes for all study guides) make sure they are for the HSC syllabus and check them, my legal one has a few mistakes.

IPT - My school has heaps of books, excel, jacaranda, hienmann, successone and maquarie
I basically only use Hienmann, sometimes maquarie or excel revise in a month

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
melsc said:
Re English Study guides I'd say no:
1. They are very general, the analysis is pretty basic, though if you are stuck on ideas they can help a lil
2. Often the people who write them mark for the HSC (so if you copy out slabs they will know)
3. Heaps of people buy them and use them so markers will notice that that exact sentence has appeared in 100s of essays
4. I have a few and never used them

If you are going to buy them (this goes for all study guides) make sure they are for the HSC syllabus and check them, my legal one has a few mistakes.

IPT - My school has heaps of books, excel, jacaranda, hienmann, successone and maquarie
I basically only use Hienmann, sometimes maquarie or excel revise in a month
I've been using the excel Cloudstreet study-guide (critical study) over the past few days and I don't think it's too bad. It take's some of the better quotes out of the novel and puts them in lists with pagenumber references. As long as you have some capacity for original thought so that you can dress up the basics with some unique ideas then I'd reccomend a studyguide, at this late stage, over reading the book. I've read the book already but that was a long time ago, so reading the chapter summaries was a useful reminder of the general flow of the book. For english, have a good read of them in the bookshop and if you can see it being useful and timesaving then why not?

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Cheers guys, I got a mixed reaction for study guides from my English teachers as well. Thumbs up for Heinemann though, I think I'll get them - but do they have practice HSC exams (or at the least, practice questions *with* answers) ?

(We have a bio textbook at the moment, which has 80 odd questions, with not a single answer - pointless.)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
You see, me turning on a computer to check biology answers, is akin to me throwing away the next 4 hours of study as I spend my time procastinating with friends over msn while browsing websites and listening to music.

Never actually thought the answers would be on the Heinemann site, they were for Leading Edge economics - I figured that one, no idea why it didnt click with me for biology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)